Butch Jones ripped by anonymous opposing coach in Lindy's magazine

My guess is Vanderbilt's head coach. They totally dominated us the last two years, and love to talk smack.

Vandy owns Tennessee right now after winning 2 in a row and 4 of the last 6.....never thought I’d live to see the day....what an embarrassment

So you're tired of every news story ever? Off record is how most stories get told.

Not true.

Do something really old-fashioned: buy a newspaper, and read the whole thing.

If it's a major national paper, like NY Times, Washington Post, Chicago Herald-Tribune, Wall Street Journal, etc., it will have scores of stories; probably 100-200, all told. Even more if you pick the Sunday edition.

And I'll bet you money that less than five of those 100-200 stories will have even a single anonymous source.

Self-respecting journalists, true journalists, and major newspapers with reputations to consider, really do not like anonymous sources. Because each time they use one, they put a small bit of their credibility up for questioning.

Sure, they can have a story or two with an anonymous source, now and then. Especially if the article includes several other sources who are named and authoritative.

For all that Woodward and Bernstein leaned on Deep Throat for their Watergate coverage, they were also developing and using hosts of other corroborating and related sources, by name. Precisely to offset the doubts that come with using an anonymous informant.

So...no. Anonymous sources are NOT the regular way of things in the world of journalism, not even these days. You might not know it by the shoddy work done from time to time in on-line blogs, but those aren't real journalists, either. They're shock jocks with access to a laptop and a web page who get paid by the click.

Reactions: 5 people
Not true.

Do something really old-fashioned: buy a newspaper, and read the whole thing.

If it's a major national paper, like NY Times, Washington Post, Chicago Herald-Tribune, Wall Street Journal, etc., it will have scores of stories; probably 100-200, all told. Even more if you pick the Sunday edition.

And I'll bet you money that less than five of those 100-200 stories will have even a single anonymous source.

Self-respecting journalists, true journalists, and major newspapers with reputations to consider, really do not like anonymous sources. Because each time they use one, they put a small bit of their credibility up for questioning.

Sure, they can have a story or two with an anonymous source, now and then. Especially if the article includes several other sources who are named and authoritative.

For all that Woodward and Bernstein leaned on Deep Throat for their Watergate coverage, they were also developing and using hosts of other corroborating and related sources, by name. Precisely to offset the doubts that come with using an anonymous informant.

So...no. Anonymous sources are NOT the regular way of things in the world of journalism, not even these days. You might not know it by the shoddy work done from time to time in on-line blogs, but those aren't real journalists, either. They're shock jocks with access to a laptop and a web page who get paid by the click.

Another good post by you. People should realize that most “anonymous sources” are garbage. If sources don’t have the guts to be quoted, then you should totally disregard them. This tabloid is counting on less informed people to gobble this stuff up. This is the second straight year that Lindy’s has done this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Would generally agree with you, certainly from the mental side. But I do think he ran with really good physicality the majority of the time....I just think he wasn’t near the athlete and runner I thought we were getting. Said it before, but I really did think we were getting Eric Dickerson 2.0, a guy who could run with power but who was also elusive and who was a threat to break off a run and score from anywhere on the field at any time. As it turns out, he could run with some power, but he wasn’t very elusive and he could not score from anywhere on the field at any time. Thought we were getting a legit elite 5 star player....instead got a pretty good 3.0-3.5 star or so player.
Being elusive is quite difficult when 90% of play calls are straight up the gut into a collapsing line that got no movement off the snap(unless you count backwards)

Would generally agree with you, certainly from the mental side. But I do think he ran with really good physicality the majority of the time....I just think he wasn’t near the athlete and runner I thought we were getting. Said it before, but I really did think we were getting Eric Dickerson 2.0, a guy who could run with power but who was also elusive and who was a threat to break off a run and score from anywhere on the field at any time. As it turns out, he could run with some power, but he wasn’t very elusive and he could not score from anywhere on the field at any time. Thought we were getting a legit elite 5 star player....instead got a pretty good 3.0-3.5 star or so player.

Put Hurd at AL/UGA/LSU and hes a 5*. He was a bruising downhill runner. The problem was that we didn't use a downhill aggressive offense.

Ok, let's guess who the referenced coach might be. My money would have been on Muschamp if they had not mentioned USCe's players. I'd have to assume it was someone they played against last year who doesn't have a new coach this season. I'm guessing Orgeron.

Agree with most it’s not a HC, prob not a cord either, likely a position coach. If you think about it, it’s likely a pos coach who is someone that formallycoached at UT or in the East previously at a minimum, they have a feel for the landscape. Someone who also either carries a grudge vs Jones or just disliked his coaching tremendously or was passed for a job by Jones. Could be a bunch of coaches, they were pretty spot on though so it’s not like they were trying to bs anyone, it was just delivered harshly. Could it have been a guy like Kiffin? Sure, but I doubt it. Whomever it was prob has a reputation for speaking frankly and might even have a rep for being cocky. We could likely narrow it down with some thought process.

VN Store

Back