• We've had an issue with our name servers today that may be affecting a number of users from accessing the site.

Butch Jones ripped by anonymous opposing coach in Lindy's magazine

These quotes sound like something a teenager would say. May be true but makes whoever said them sound like an idiot. Certainly not the way a coach analyzes things IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
Butch signing Dobbs is the only thing that kept him at UT more than 2-3 seasons. He had the most poorly designed offense I've seen in my lifetime...Dobbs, Kamara, Malone and even DeBord masked a lot of inepetitude in that scheme.

I agree100%.the only part of the story i don't agree with is Tennessee not having talent. We had some really good players. Just the coach didn't know what to do with it. Jones was just out classed in the sec..

They are right to criticize Jones' ability to develop players and coach on gameday, but he had talented players. To say otherwise is asinine. Top 5, top 10, and top 15 ranked classes are talented classes.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
These quotes sound like something a teenager would say. May be true but makes whoever said them sound like an idiot. Certainly not the way a coach analyzes things IMO.

Those comments were 100% spot on. Right on the money. Not seeing where they’re the stuff a teenager would say.

Who says the coach in question went anonymous?.................................

I'm sure it's more the magazine's policy, in an effort to get better dirt, and prefaced with "Hey coach, we're not going to print your name, but can you give us your take on the dumpster fire that was Butch Jones.".

I’m pretty sure you just contradicted your point with your last paragraph. I stand by my statement that you got to love the courage of those who go anonymous to criticize others.

Class rankings are class rankings. Could they have been overrated? No doubt, but not by a huge amount. Maybe instead of 15 they are 20-22 but not 50.

A class ranking of 20 should still end up with 8-9 wins a year, not 2. The coaching and development stunk.

And I think Pruitt totally knows what it takes to be a successful big-time coach. He worked under a guy who is probably the best college coach ever.

Exactly right and I don't care how overrated some of our classes may have been, that doesn't explain Tennessee losing two years in a row to Vanderbilt. Bad coaching is the only thing that explains that.

I’m pretty sure you just contradicted your point with your last paragraph. I stand by my statement that you got to love the courage of those who go anonymous to criticize others.

I didn’t.

Point is, nobody is scared of Jones.

This is why I respected Steve Spurrier, he'd say things like this but he'd never shy away and try to hide from his words

Poor coaching schemes were a huge part of the problem, but some of the blame has to go to the players. Athletes this "talented" should be able to adapt to different styles/schemes of play. Talented OL/DL players should never get blown off the line every play...no matter what scheme is run.

Players that blame a coach are making excuses. You have 3-5 yrs to play ......you better give it 100% every snap, no matter who is coaching you. JMO

"To say Tennessee has had top 15 classes under Butch Jones, that's fake news," the anonymous opposing coach told Lindy's. "I think it was a combination of the classes being overrated and the coaches not developing the talent."

The anonymous coach is wrong. The talent appeared overrated because the talent wasn't developed. Anybody that watched the program over the last several years can see that. Every school in the country wanted these highly talented kids that Butch got.
Did the ratings just happen to be wrong about Tennessee every year Butch was there? I doubt it.

Butch recruited a lot of highly-talented guys that didn't fit his offensive system (Hurd, the assortment of tall, vertical-threat WRs he had), didn't adequately develop the guys who did fit his system, and didn't play his best players enough (Kamara).

My guess is that these quotes in Lindy's come from position coaches on other teams. No head coach or coordinator (especially one who could become a HC at some point) is going to tell a magazine something that scathing, even if kept anonymous.

Tell us something we don’t know.

1) recruiting was overrated and unbalanced
2) roster is a mess
3) team is unbelievably soft, they quit first sign of adversity or just after halftime regardless

this is just lazy journalism and click bait at it's best.

i just don't care. we've moved on. he's alabama's problem now.

Tell us something we don’t know.

1) recruiting was overrated and unbalanced
2) roster is a mess
3) team is unbelievably soft, they quit first sign of adversity or just after halftime regardless

How exactly was recruiting overrated? Forget star ratings for a second and look at the other offers our highly recruited kids had. A ton of these kids Butch recruited could have gone nearly anywhere in the SEC or the entire country.

As an example, Drew Richmond, perhaps our biggest underachiever on the offensive line, had offers from Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, FSU, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Ohio St, and Oklahoma, among others. Were all of those schools, plus all the recruiting services, simply wrong about him? Do you really think he would have been underwhelming no matter where he went? Or did he just not get developed well by Butch's staff? What's the more plausible explanation? Richmond's just an example - I can name 10 more guys.

Other coaching staffs made the same assessment that Butch and the recruiting services did - that this guy was a great, highly-coveted player. Did it "just so happen" that all of the good players Tennessee got were overrated? C'mon now.

I know for some it's asking way too much to pay Butch a compliment, but the guy actually was a really good recruiter. Now, he recruited talented guys that didn't fit his offense, or he didn't tweak his offense to fit the guys he did recruit, and he was bad at talent development generally, but he actually did a really good job at convincing many highly talented, highly coveted kids to come to Tennessee. That's just a fact.

Reactions: 3 people
How exactly was recruiting overrated? Forget star ratings for a second and look at the other offers our highly recruited kids had. A ton of these kids Butch recruited could have gone nearly anywhere in the SEC or the entire country.

As an example, Drew Richmond, perhaps our biggest underachiever on the offensive line, had offers from Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, FSU, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Ohio St, and Oklahoma, among others. Were all of those schools, plus all the recruiting services, simply wrong about him? Do you really think he would have been underwhelming no matter where he went? Or did he just not get developed well by Butch's staff? What's the more plausible explanation? Richmond's just an example - I can name 10 more guys.

Other coaching staffs made the same assessment that Butch and the recruiting services did - that this guy was a great, highly-coveted player. Did it "just so happen" that all of the good players Tennessee got were overrated? C'mon now.

I know for some it's asking way too much to pay Butch a compliment, but the guy actually was a really good recruiter. Now, he recruited talented guys that didn't fit his offense, or he didn't tweak his offense to fit the guys he did recruit, and he was bad at talent development generally, but he actually did a really good job at convincing many highly talented, highly coveted kids to come to Tennessee. That's just a fact.

Well, you obviously know more than me but you must know more than the anonymous coach also. Where did u say you coach?

Word on Richmond out of high school was “soft”. And having “offers” isn’t the same as being seriously “recruited”. Schools may give you an offer but you’re they’re 4th or 5th choice at your position. I’d place DR in the overrated category. Hell, he couldn’t even get on the field as a freshman with a team desperately needing OL!!!!

McKenize wasn’t 5star DT. Surely we can agree on that. Frankly, I doubt he’d even been a DT at most schools but TEnn needed bodies there (again unbalanced recruiting). I’d say Malone and Hurd weren’t 5 star guys either. At least they didn’t play like one in college (although Malone had a good jr season)

Facts are there are others signed at Tennessee (Phillips, Kongbo, TKJr, etc) that haven’t lived up to their ratings. All of it can’t be placed on CBJ failure to develop. Many have been limited athletically, soft, immature or undisciplined and that’s on them.

As an example, Drew Richmond...had offers from Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, FSU, Georgia, LSU, Michigan, Ohio St, and Oklahoma, among others. Were all of those schools, plus all the recruiting services, simply wrong about him? Do you really think he would have been underwhelming no matter where he went? Or did he just not get developed well by Butch's staff? What's the more plausible explanation? Richmond's just an example - I can name 10 more guys.

05, I think that's a very fair assessment. Thanks for it. Need more folks who can see the complexity in people, that they have more than one or two dimensions to them.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back