Butch Jones ripped by anonymous opposing coach in Lindy's magazine

Well, you obviously know more than me but you must know more than the anonymous coach also. Where did u say you coach?

Word on Richmond out of high school was “soft”. And having “offers” isn’t the same as being seriously “recruited”. Schools may give you an offer but you’re they’re 4th or 5th choice at your position. I’d place DR in the overrated category. Hell, he couldn’t even get on the field as a freshman with a team desperately needing OL!!!!

McKenize wasn’t 5star DT. Surely we can agree on that. Frankly, I doubt he’d even been a DT at most schools but TEnn needed bodies there (again unbalanced recruiting). I’d say Malone and Hurd weren’t 5 star guys either. At least they didn’t play like one in college (although Malone had a good jr season)

Facts are there are others signed at Tennessee (Phillips, Kongbo, TKJr, etc) that haven’t lived up to their ratings. All of it can’t be placed on CBJ failure to develop. Many have been limited athletically, soft, immature or undisciplined and that’s on them.

I'm not saying I know more than than anonymous coach. I obviously have no idea who this person is, but if he is a football coach at any level, then I guarantee you he knows more than me. I just think his opinion is kind of half-assed, lazy, didn't require much thought, and was made by someone who didn't really follow the team all that closely.

Having tons of offers from big time schools is absolutely the same as being seriously recruited. You think that all of those schools I mentioned offered this kid just for the hell of it, or they offered him thinking he didn't really have a good chance to be a great player? You really think Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Florida, FSU, Ohio St, etc. offered Richmond because they wanted O-line depth? You do that when you offer 2 and 3-star kids scholarships who are lightly recruited by other schools, not to a kid like Richmond. Schools can only offer so many scholarships, and the SEC is the most competitive conference. All the big SEC schools wanted this kid. One or two coaching staffs could be wrong in an assessment of a player, but more than a dozen? Including coaching staffs that have won national championships recently? You think that each and every big name school that wanted him was incorrect in their assessment of his ability?

Khalil McKenzie...here we are again talking about a kid who could have gone anywhere in the country, from great bloodlines, was the 6th player nationally, 2nd DT in the country, and 2nd overall recruit in the state of California. You really think he would have underachieved no matter where he went? It seems entirely possible to me that if K-Mac went to Alabama or LSU, he'd have been an All-American and a 1st round draft pick. He has all the physical ability to do so.

Malone and Hurd didn't play like 5-stars in college because they were square pegs in round holes. Butch ran an offense that wasn't designed to make use of their talents, and he either 1) refused to tweak the offense or 2) recruit really talented guys that did fit his offense. Actually, the fact Butch was able to convince those two guys to come to Tennessee actually shows how good of a salesman he was, because the skills Hurd and Malone brought to the table didn't even really fit in the offense he was running. The only point you make that I might agree with is that Hurd was overrated; perhaps scouts were wowed too much by the size, because he does lack the speed and elusiveness that is basically required in today's game.

Your argument only has merit if these guys that busted weren't highly recruited by our competitors. But if you aren't highly recruited, then you kind of can't be considered a "bust" to begin with.

Just admit it - it's OK to say even though he was a bad overall head coach - Butch Jones was very successful at convincing a large number of really talented high school players to come to Tennessee. It's just a fact, honestly one that makes his time at Tennessee look even worse than it was in hindsight. It'd be one thing if he achieved these results with modestly-talented players. He achieved these results with pretty talented guys, or at least with guys that everybody else in the country also wanted.

If guys are soft, immature, or undisciplined, then it's the responsibility of a coaching staff to 1) not recruit those types of players or 2) build toughness, maturity, and discipline into them. I totally agree that players need to be held accountable too, but when you consistently see players across all positions not living up to potential, I begin to wonder about the coaching staff at that point.

Reactions: 1 person
Well, you obviously know more than me but you must know more than the anonymous coach also. Where did u say you coach?

Word on Richmond out of high school was “soft”. And having “offers” isn’t the same as being seriously “recruited”. Schools may give you an offer but you’re they’re 4th or 5th choice at your position. I’d place DR in the overrated category. Hell, he couldn’t even get on the field as a freshman with a team desperately needing OL!!!!

McKenize wasn’t 5star DT. Surely we can agree on that. Frankly, I doubt he’d even been a DT at most schools but TEnn needed bodies there (again unbalanced recruiting). I’d say Malone and Hurd weren’t 5 star guys either. At least they didn’t play like one in college (although Malone had a good jr season)

Facts are there are others signed at Tennessee (Phillips, Kongbo, TKJr, etc) that haven’t lived up to their ratings. All of it can’t be placed on CBJ failure to develop. Many have been limited athletically, soft, immature or undisciplined and that’s on them.

TKjr, McKenzie, and Malone were probably overrated. Maybe Hurd was too... but that's not the point here is it? The coach was talking about the current roster, and there are over a dozen players on the current roster who have NFL talent. The coach was wrong when he said we don't have very good players and I look forward to watching Pruitt & Co. prove that to him.

Last edited:
Maybe , THE WRITER made up the whole quote? I am not saying the quote is wrong- I am tired of people who do not go on the record.

Reactions: 2 people
TKjr, McKenzie, and Malone were probably overrated. Maybe Hurd was too... but that's not the point here is it? The coach was talking about the current roster, and there are over a dozen players on the current roster who have NFL talent. The coach was wrong when he said we don't have very good players and I look forward to watching Pruitt & Co. prove that to him.

I don't see exactly how McKenzie and Malone were overrated. Thinking that absolves Butch and his staff of some responsibility there. I see no reason why McKenzie couldn't have been a great player here, and as I said earlier Malone was a square peg in a round hole. He was a tall, vertical threat receiver playing in a spread option offense. Butch either shouldn't have recruited him or developed an offense designed to make better use of his talents.

I'll give you Hurd being overrated, and I'll even give TK Jr. being overrated too. TK is a local kid lots of people really wanted to see do well, but you can tell out there he's somewhat limited athletically in what he can do. But again, look at the offers TK Jr. had. Alabama, Auburn, Clemson, Florida, FSU, Georgia, Ohio St, USC. For each of the individual players we're discussing, it's like the same 8-10 big name schools all wanted them. It isn't crazy to believe that at least some of those other coaching staffs would have gotten more, and maybe a lot more, out of them.

I would focus less on who said it and more on. If it’s true or makes sense.

JMO

I would say that you're too smart to be a Gator fan....but considering that Fla has fielded the worst Gator teams I've seen at Fla since before 1983--and still beaten our azzes...

I'll just say that whoever said it is smarter than MOST here on VN.....and it expresses the sentiment McElwain expressed after beating us in 2015....

"...you just don't lose to Tennessee...." because their talent sucks and their coaching is worse!

It represents what most if not all SEC coaches have known about UT football over the last 8 years....

But they DEFINITELY will NOT be saying that about CJP and his staff.....GO VOLS! :salute:

HURD was NOT over-rated!!!!!

He was a stud who ran thru and over opponents with some of the worst OL in the history of UT football in a girly-man's offensive scheme....and got beaten up physically for it.....

You ______s just trash him because he up and quit on that ________ of a human being masquerading as a SEC head coach.

Just wait and see after he plays well at Baylor and gets drafted in the 3rd round in 2019.....

I mean--just how much truth does it take for folks to realize that CBJ was an absolute TURD....

Only “blunt” coach that I can think that told you how it was,is the ole ball coach that’s who I’m thinking

It was Saban, they are in the 'stripping you down to nothing' part of Lyle's brainwashing right now.

He was a stud who ran thru and over opponents with some of the worst OL in the history of UT football in a girly-man's offensive scheme....and got beaten up physically for it.....

You ______s just trash him because he up and quit on that ________ of a human being masquerading as a SEC head coach.

Just wait and see after he plays well at Baylor and gets drafted in the 3rd round in 2019.....

I mean--just how much truth does it take for folks to realize that CBJ was an absolute TURD....

You lost me here. Hurd is going to be drafted in the 3rd round after his first season of playing WR for a team as bad as Baylor? Not likely.

Two turds. jones and Hurd

I hope Hurd does well at Baylor however, Hurd has the injury bug. He didn't get to play in their spring game because of an Injury. So.... Again maybe those beatings have worn on him.

Again.... I think he will do well as a receiver, but I don't know if he is fast enough to be a deep threat. He is definitely tall enough to be some type of threat though.

It'll be interesting to see how Hurd pans out.

Hurd was way overrated.

I remember when Butch came to my home town and hosted a satellite camp at the high school Trey Smith was attending and he refused to be interviewed by the local radio station. I am friends with one the radio personalities and he was pretty offended by the remarks of CBJ's handler. His handler said " If we can squeeze you in the interview will only be 3 questions and we are taking him away. "

My buddy said hes freaking football coach not the president....

I remember when Butch came to my home town and hosted a satellite camp at the high school Trey Smith was attending and he refused to be interviewed by the local radio station. I am friends with one the radio personalities and he was pretty offended by the remarks of CBJ's handler. His handler said " If we can squeeze you in the interview will only be 3 questions and we are taking him away. "

My buddy said hes freaking football coach not the president....

"If we can squeeze you in the interview will only be 3 questions and we are taking him away. "

... and the answers are: 1) Resilient, 2) Its a process, 3) Brick by Brick.

Reactions: 3 people
Butch signing Dobbs is the only thing that kept him at UT more than 2-3 seasons. He had the most poorly designed offense I've seen in my lifetime...Dobbs, Kamara, Malone and even DeBord masked a lot of inepetitude in that scheme.

Don't forget Hurd. He was an absolute beast his first two years

At the end of the day, Tee Martin was right, and most of us, self included here on VN were wrong. Hurd ended up soft physically and mentally.

Would generally agree with you, certainly from the mental side. But I do think he ran with really good physicality the majority of the time....I just think he wasn’t near the athlete and runner I thought we were getting. Said it before, but I really did think we were getting Eric Dickerson 2.0, a guy who could run with power but who was also elusive and who was a threat to break off a run and score from anywhere on the field at any time. As it turns out, he could run with some power, but he wasn’t very elusive and he could not score from anywhere on the field at any time. Thought we were getting a legit elite 5 star player....instead got a pretty good 3.0-3.5 star or so player.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back