Caldwell will be a star

So basically sounds like the Nash Phoenix Suns or Troy University women's team. I think it's the same style that Arkansas tries, but that would only work if you can rebound and 60% of your starting lineup isn't 5'7. I think the style can be effective in the SEC with the right players.
Statistically, it looks like a combo of Arkansas and Ohio State to me - emphasis on 3s (Arkansas), steals/forcing turnovers at the expense of FG% defense (Ohio State), plus add in an emphasis on offensive rebounding to maximize even more possessions (something Arkansas and Ohio State were terrible at). I think you're right in that neither Arkansas nor Ohio State had a good post presence, and adding that in (with the offensive rebounding) could make this style work really well in the SEC. For all of Jillian's challenges, she had an elite offensive rebounding rate her sophomore year.

I admit the FG% defense makes me nervous (as does the foul rate), because if you're going up against a team with say a great point guard who can break the press (e.g., Virginia Tech/Amoore), is your half-court defense good enough to adjust?

So basically sounds like the Nash Phoenix Suns or Troy University women's team. I think it's the same style that Arkansas tries, but that would only work if you can rebound and 60% of your starting lineup isn't 5'7. I think the style can be effective in the SEC with the right players.
I would rather it be like Steph’s warriors, so I know we will win Championships.

The biggest thing to me is selling her vision to top recruits. If she can get a few to buy in, and the team performs well, others will want to come join the fun. How good was South Carolina before Dawn Staley became their coach?
We will know in a few months, the whole 2025 class is open, if she can get a top recruiting class I’ll feel better going forward.

Statistically, it looks like a combo of Arkansas and Ohio State to me - emphasis on 3s (Arkansas), steals/forcing turnovers at the expense of FG% defense (Ohio State), plus add in an emphasis on offensive rebounding to maximize even more possessions (something Arkansas and Ohio State were terrible at). I think you're right in that neither Arkansas nor Ohio State had a good post presence, and adding that in (with the offensive rebounding) could make this style work really well in the SEC. For all of Jillian's challenges, she had an elite offensive rebounding rate her sophomore year.

I admit the FG% defense makes me nervous (as does the foul rate), because if you're going up against a team with say a great point guard who can break the press (e.g., Virginia Tech/Amoore), is your half-court defense good enough to adjust?
I agree with your assessment on the similarity to Arkansas which is....... quite terrifying knowing that we have the ability to be very average. It also could go very well. It is certainly a change of style and the reality is that the style does not always work, but I am supporting her and want to see her succeed (with full knowledge that this may not go well).

Which is interesting because it's the polar opposite of Pat's defense and rebounding philosophy. I mean, with Troy they basically gave up playing defense once they didn't get the steal just to get the ball back, and they sent all five players to the offensive boards, transition defense be damned.

it could create a lot of heartburn for old time fans...

Which is interesting because it's the polar opposite of Pat's defense and rebounding philosophy. I mean, with Troy they basically gave up playing defense once they didn't get the steal just to get the ball back, and they sent all five players to the offensive boards, transition defense be damned.

it could create a lot of heartburn for old time fans...
This noted defense lover will also invest in some Tums. Thanks for the heads up 🫡

Marshall's suffocating defense held Virgina Tech to 92 points. Can't wait to watch that.
She gave her team a gameplan to be competitive 82 possessions to 67 for Va Tech. When your team only shoots 24 percent not much you can do about that happening. Cause 82 possessions to only score 49 points was just terrible shooting and sometimes what you get when a mid-major meets a power five.

We will know in a few months, the whole 2025 class is open, if she can get a top recruiting class I’ll feel better going forward.
We should probably now caution our expectations with this: her first priority will be to recruit to the culture she wants. That means she will pass on many players who we (as she) can see are objectively better players on the court.

If she doesn't have her culture from the start... if she doesn't have team chemistry and a mutually supportive locker room from the start... if she doesn't have the foundation set for whatever she intends to build from the start... then she'll never be able to build class-upon-class and succeed here, regardless of talent level.

"My way or the highway" is best enforced before the entrance ramp, not miles from the next exit.

We saw the culture building with Heupel's first football team, we saw it with Barnes first team, and I contend that Pearl got off to such a fantastic start here because he inherited a group of guys who had already taken it on themselves to have that culture in place for whoever was named their coach.

Last edited:
As for her recruiting record... I wonder what a recruit walking into Marshall sees, compared to what they'd see walking into Tennessee's campus and athletic facilities?

Actually, I wonder what it would take to get a decent female basketball player to even make a visit to Marshall?

In that respect alone, recruiting comparisons are like crabapples and oranges.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
As for her recruiting record... I wonder what a recruit walking into Marshall sees, compared to what they'd see walking into Tennessee's campus and athletic facilities?

Actually, I wonder what it would take to get a decent female basketball player to even make a visit to Marshall?

In that respect alone, recruiting comparisons are like crabapples and oranges.
I hope she has a better pitch($$$) than Kellie bc the recruits walking in and seeing that didn’t jump on board for her.

VN Store

Back