Caldwell will be a star

If Coach KC can replicate this, it will be a good start.

Attachments

• Pat Stare 2.jpg
    Pat Stare 2.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 3
  • summitt Stare.jpg
    summitt Stare.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 3
If Coach KC can replicate this, it will be a good start.
One of the best things about this hire is that Caldwell will not try to replicate the Pat Summitt style. Pat could do what Pat could do because she was Pat freakin' Summitt.

Imitators are just poor imitations.

We should never forget the great one but we also need to let her go, Its a new day. this hire signals a long overdue break with a legacy that had become an albatross.

One of the best things about this hire is that Caldwell will not try to replicate the Pat Summitt style. Pat could do what Pat could do because she was Pat freakin' Summitt.

We should never forget the great one but we also need to let her go, Its a new day. this hire signals a long overdue break with a legacy that had become an albatross.
Point about imitators is a good one if the imitator can't pull it off. I doubt any CONN fans will complain if the successor runs an offense that is just as efficient as what they are used to. If it ain't broke.... But if there are flaws, be ready to adapt and evolve.

I don't think the legacy was necessarily an albatross. If Kellie had done enough things differently that would have resulted in wins, no matter be would be complaining about success. But I get your point. Maybe Holly and Kellie felt extra pressure to live up to Pat's standards and that got in the way of decisions. So maybe you're right about the albatross in that sense.

Only other Coach that legit has some of that stuff Pat had is Mulkey. She is terrifying sometimes lol. The competitiveness and passion she oozes out of her pores.

I’ve definitely seen officials look like they were going to mess themselves from one look from both Pat and Kim. A rare gift lol.

Point about imitators is a good one if the imitator can't pull it off. I doubt any CONN fans will complain if the successor runs an offense that is just as efficient as what they are used to. If it ain't broke.... But if there are flaws, be ready to adapt and evolve.

I don't think the legacy was necessarily an albatross. If Kellie had done enough things differently that would have resulted in wins, no matter be would be complaining about success. But I get your point. Maybe Holly and Kellie felt extra pressure to live up to Pat's standards and that got in the way of decisions. So maybe you're right about the albatross in that sense.

Absolutely Creekdipper. There were flaws with inconsistencies, players standing around looking lost - not to mention the ghost defense vs. South Carolina which blew a winnable game in the SEC tournament. Kellie may get another opportunity at somewhere like Wofford or App. State.

No. There’s a reason that DW went away from the Pat tree. No more 2nd rate tribute acts please.
IMO that’s very unfair to Kellie. She said and I believed she had zero interest in being a PS tribute act. Tried hard to get away from it, said it repeatedly. It was dumbss, lazy journalists like Maria who would never let her forget it.

I’m glad they went away from the PS coaching tree and a new style is fine, if she had or could get the proper players for it. Without them, and she’s nowhere close, this is Arkansas, or the Marshall team she took to Va Tech

Season 1 at Marshall, this past year. Picked 9th in the league, they win both the regular season title and tournament title, going 17-1 in the regular season. The young lady can flat out coach! I remember a young lady back in the middle 70s that could flat out coach? Welcome to Rocky Top Kim Caldwell!

Yall got a star in the making with Kim Caldwell… followed her since her Glenville days.. Happy for her and you all
Well this article brings question to this hire but also speaks to some pretty big discoveries of Danny’s throughout his career:

Nate Oats - Buffalo
Heupel - Tennessee
Lance Leipold - Kansas

Also, I think we will probably find a way to boost Caldwell’s efforts by buying some top recruits and paying them handsomely.

The Lady Vols’ return to prominence will produce a much greater ROI for such investments than they would at other schools.

Last edited:
She misses the tournament first 2 years she's gone. She needs high level assistants that can recruit. I'm not doubting her coaching, but recruiting is the life blood of a program.
given her contract, i think if she misses it once, she would be out. that's my take on it anyway.

Reactions: brittannica

I agree. My original statement was too blunt and simplistic.

On Geno, one part if his legacy is being a complete A-hole which for some reason his players seem to love. The other part is being a brilliant offensive coach. So, no one complains if his eventual successor replicates the coaching part.

CPS was not a brilliant offensive coach. She was defense, rebounds, effort, don't give into fatigue. Again, I will get flamed for this but that approach was losing traction against the top flight teams in her later years (Uconn, Baylor, Stanford, Notre Dame). Sure, with arguably the greatest all round women's college player on the team, it worked but otherwise, the secret sauce was getting a little stale and the stare could not conjure enough effort to beat Uconn.

Despite being CPS's immediate heir, Holly was quite different. Of course she emphasized the legacy--grind for 9--but Holly's initial success came from integrating a faster paced, offensive style into CP's disciplined foundation. She also had overcome some really tragic injury breaks, like Izzy Harrison's ACL. Over time, though, she just could not run the asylum.

Kellie seemed to be emulating the classic LV approach more than Holly - she was all about effort, hustle, rebounding, toughness, Compeeeeeeting!!!!. People complain that her teams did not work hard but they did. We should not confuse being slower and less quick than the competition for a lack of effort. She needed a few more athletic players and a bit more creativity in her offensive schemes.

Last edited:
I agree. My original statement was too blunt and simplistic.

On Geno, one part if his legacy is being a complete A-hole which for some reason his players seem to love. The other part is being a brilliant offensive coach. So, no one complains if his eventual successor replicates the coaching part.

CPS was not a brilliant offensive coach. She was defense, rebounds, effort, don't give into fatigue. Again, I will get flamed for this but that approach was losing traction against the top flight teams in her later years (Uconn, Baylor, Stanford, Notre Dame). Sure, with arguably the greatest all round women's college player on the team, it worked but otherwise, the secret sauce was getting a little stale and the stare could not conjure enough effort to beat Uconn.

Despite being CPS's immediate heir, Holly was quite different. Of course she emphasized the legacy--grind for 9--but Holly's initial success came from integrating a faster paced, offensive style into CP's disciplined foundation. She also had overcome some really tragic injury breaks, like Izzy Harrison's ACL. Over time, though, she just could not run the asylum.

Kellie seemed to be emulating the classic LV approach more than Holly - she was all about effort, hustle, rebounding, toughness, Compeeeeeeting!!!!. People complain that her teams did not work hard but they did. We should not confuse being slower and less quick than the competition for a lack of effort. She needed a few more athletic players and a bit more creativity in her offensive schemes.
To sum it up, Pat's approach became "stale" just like Oklahoma's wishbone. Holly and Kellie did not get the memo. We now have a coach who can/will usher in a new era of defense and rebounding (Pat's approach) plus a robust offense. It appears that it took going away from Pat's coaching tree to see what right in front of us and what was needed keep up with other programs. GBO.

I disagree. There was nothing wrong with Tennessee's offense in most years. Summitt could adjust her philosophy to fit her personnel. I would put the 1998 team up against anyone. Pat Summitt lost traction due to dementia ..... We have no way to know when she began to exhibit symptoms of Alzheimer's, but she didn't just wake up one morning in 2012 with it.

Last edited:
Pat was not only an avid student of the game but she even used tests such as 'Wonderlic" on her players to see their personality traits and coach them accordingly. In her prime, I would put her coaching abilities against anyone and probably 9 out of 10 times she would come out on top. Gino and Dawn in my opinion are the only 2 other coaches in the same zipcode.
Hoping for Lady Vols to get back to prominence under Coach Caldwell., though I am still a Kelly Jolly Harper fan as she's a true VFL.
Go Vols

Pat was not only an avid student of the game but she even used tests such as 'Wonderlic" on her players to see their personality traits and coach them accordingly. In her prime, I would put her coaching abilities against anyone and probably 9 out of 10 times she would come out on top. Gino and Dawn in my opinion are the only 2 other coaches in the same zipcode.
Hoping for Lady Vols to get back to prominence under Coach Caldwell., though I am still a Kelly Jolly Harper fan as she's a true VFL.
Go Vols
She met with Tex Winter (assistant under Phil Jackson in both Chicago and L.A), and incorporated his "triangle offense," into her scheme. She could adapt her style to fit a changing game. All we can do is guess, but if she had not suffered from dementia, I definitely think she had a 9th National Championship in her.

She met with Tex Winter (assistant under Phil Jackson in both Chicago and L.A), and incorporated his "triangle offense," into her scheme. She could adapt her style to fit a changing game. All we can do is guess, but if she had not suffered from dementia, I definitely think she had a 9th National Championship in her.
I think she stayed ahead of the curve all of the time. Even in today's game, she would have adapted to continue winning. Lord didn't mass produce Pat, she was one of a kind and will always be a Legend.

VN Store

Back