Can Kentucky go “Schiano” on Pope?

Wouldn’t suprise me, they haven’t accepted Ky basketball mirrors Nebraska football program of the 90’s.

Wouldn’t suprise me, they haven’t accepted Ky basketball mirrors Nebraska football program of the 90’s.
How so? Between 1993-1997 Nebraska football was pretty darn good. I think they lost 3 games in Tom Osborne's last 5 seasons.

If Kentucky ends up settling for Mark Pope after chasing Calipari away? LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!

Reactions: Honky
They’ve become a laughing stock and Coach Cal is laughing his butt off in Arkansas .

If Barnhart had any pride left, he would have torn up the contract and done a Schiano himself on Pope after seeing that.

Right now the UK forum is torn between comments like this followed by people lecturing about finding another team if you don't like the hire. The humbling of that arrogant, haughty, self important fan base might be the best part of this whole thing. Cal has to be laughing his ass off right now.

Hiring Pope is the absolute last straw. I’ll never buy another piece of gear, never go to another game and never give a freaking penny to NIL or anything that goes towards the University of Kentucky.

Pope is by far the worst hire in UK basketball history. ZERO TOURNAMENT WINS, only even made the damn tournament twice. Can’t recruit. I’m furious/speechless. I was a Hurley/Oates or bust guy but at this point I’d be over the moon just to have Pope not be hired.

How in the living hell could Barnhart be this stupid?

Pope is a good coach, but this is a very underwhelming hire for them. 2 NCAAs in 4 years at BYU; which is pretty much on par with BYU's historical track record.

This might be one of those where they regret chasing off Cal. And it's pretty insane that a large portion of the fanbase didn't think Scott Drew, arguably a top 5 coach in the NCAA, was good enough.

The rule of media is if it's a question in the headline, the answer is always "no." A guy I know Ben Criddle has a BYU sports pod. I knew him when I went there. He was a cornerback in the mid 2000s. His episode title this week was "Will Kentucky Hire Mark Pope?" And I LOL'd

They’re down bad right now. It’s like they just found out Santa isn’t real X1000. Finding out every coach in the country isn’t tripping over themselves to be their next head coach has them questioning everything.

Holy crap! Why would he film that not only in the BYU gym but right in front of their logo too? Also, he talks about how much he loves “this university” at the beginning of the video, which you would think meant BYU at first. I thought this was going to be a video thanking the BYU fans at the very beginning. This is more cringe than anything Butch ever said or did while at UT imo.

I was a fan of his when he played for Ky but I was definitely disappointed when I saw this. Ky just hired a coach that has no tournament wins. I never thought I'd see the day.

The only sparks of hope are that he has an exciting offensive scheme, he's improved every team he's coached, and he has the better winning percentage at BYU than any coach in over 100 years. I think he's a good up and coming coach that has a bright future. It's just a big gamble to hand the keys over to him at this level. Whether or not he has success, I expect some fumbles along the way.

Reactions: C/O
Works for me. Hope it doesn’t for them. I guess they are used to adultry. That’s what that video was if it’s real. BYU better be looking for another wife.

They are going to miss Gillispie and Sutton eras. How underwhelming this must be for the fans in blue. They will get senior leadership that Cal was lacking. Go Vols!

Last edited:
I don’t like the hire either, but it doesn’t seem like people are realizing that that video is very old

VN Store

Back