Can Kentucky go “Schiano” on Pope?

Kentucky fans are crazy but not dumb. The Schiano thing was dumb, which then turned UT into a national embarrassment, which
then gave us Fulmer, who was a bad athletic director, who then hired Cornbread, who was not just a lousy coach but a guy
who got us into trouble with the NCAA....all of which history will judge an absurd fiasco.

100% think this is the best possible hire for Kentucky basketball.
Kentucky will now share the SEC basketball basement with Vandy for the next 4 years.
I think Vandy will be able to beat them 50% of the time.

Cal used Ky to do what he wanted (“help families” but in reality was build his brand in the NBA) . Pope will do everything he can to win at Ky which is what the coach should do.

Reactions: gule and Pennheel
Kentucky fans are crazy but not dumb. The Schiano thing was dumb, which then turned UT into a national embarrassment, which
then gave us Fulmer, who was a bad athletic director, who then hired Cornbread, who was not just a lousy coach but a guy
who got us into trouble with the NCAA....all of which history will judge an absurd fiasco.

Schiano Sunday set the stage for where we are now whether you like it or not.

If the AD didn't back down and still tried to force the hire through, we would have still been hiring another coach in 2021. We might not have gotten D White and then no Heupel.

That day was one of the most proud I have ever been of the fanbase. Collectively it was made clear that our standards and trust in the AD had been violated.

Screw what everyone else thinks. This is Tennessee. We do things how WE want. Worrying about what other fanbases think is a fools errand if our fanbase ever starts actually caring what everyone else thinks-I will be finding a new team. I like being the outlaw sometimes.

Hyperbolic BS ....

There was nothing wrong with Vol fans taking a stand against a coach who would have been a bad fit here. Schiano is exactly the worst kind of hire for Tennessee. He would have been hard to get rid of. He would have consistently won just enough to avoid getting fired, but never had a season like 2022. Was that coaching search an embarrassment for Tennessee? Yes, but with how short news cycles have become, it didn't last long. History won't care enough about it to judge it at all. Things worked out for the best in the long run because Schiano was rejected.

Imagine the melt down we would be having if this was Barnes replacement. This is like handing the keys of a Bugatti to a kid with a permit.
With Calipari voluntarily leaving for another job, Kentucky had a ton of money to spend on this hire. It's mind-boggling that they had to settle for Pope.

Reactions: Vol737 and NEO
I don't think anything that drastic will happen. They're surely upset as I would be if my favorite team/school hired someone who hasn't won a tournament game. I don't think he has any skeletons in his closet and he's an alum who is part of the LDS. He's just an average coach to hire if you're Kentucky.

When a supporting argument for his hire as a basketball coach is that he did 2 years of medical school at Columbia you know you are screwed

Reactions: VolNExile
Without the Schiano fiasco you would still have Haslam in charge of the AD. Pruitt and Fulmer were damned to fail from the beginning; Pruitt would’ve been paid to go away if he had been Haslam’s hire. Pruitt did the same things he had done at Bama, Georgia and FSU.

Someone refresh my memory…had the contract already been signed when we revolted against Schiano?

With Calipari voluntarily leaving for another job, Kentucky had a ton of money to spend on this hire. It's mind-boggling that they had to settle for Pope.

Honestly think the top basketball coaches that were contacted had zero reason to leave and saw it as a lateral. UConn coach is building a dynasty there. Absolutely no reason to leave.

And if true they didn’t even contact half of the other top coaches like Pearl because of baggage and honestly thank God. Pearl at KY would have been a nightmare. I’m still shocked though. This is such a weird hire.

How so? Between 1993-1997 Nebraska football was pretty darn good. I think they lost 3 games in Tom Osborne's last 5 seasons.

If Kentucky ends up settling for Mark Pope after chasing Calipari away? LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!
That was mainly because of the amazing strength of their linemen on both sides of the ball.
hulk-hogan-hulkamania.jpg

steiner1.jpg

Steroids-The-Ultimate-Warrior.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennheel

VN Store

Back