CFN 2020 Vols Preview

He's appeared in fewer and fewer games each year. Whether that is him getting practiced over or not, I don't know. We are going to need him to step up regardless this season.

Disagree.

Some combination of Eric Gray, Ty Chandler , Jones and Gibbs from the slot will be very productive. Or Calloway may start there if he stays at WR.

Palmer/ Keyton at SE
Palmer/ Wideman at FL

Johnson was decent two years ago, but he never ever had any explosive plays. Dropped some catchable balls too often.

That's your argument? Wow. So because JG is wildly inconsistent, he's the same as an elite QB since they both dont have a 100% completion rate??. K-town King....is this you???

Let's play a different game.

Name one game where JG was consistent. Name two games in a row where he showed consistent good play.

I'll wait....
1. Kentucky, Missouri
2. All 2018. He played hurt 90% of the time in 2019.

Now answer my question.

Reactions: 2GeeZ4VolZ
I hope the Vols go undefeated, but I watched them play last season. Lost at home to Georgia State, and gave up 38 points in that game.

SEC Wins (5): Miss State 3-5, South Carolina 3-5, Kentucky 3-5, Missouri 3-5, Vanderbilt 1-7. Did not beat an SEC team that had a winning conference record.

Road Wins (2) Kentucky and Missouri.

Scored 24 Points Per Game, 11th worst in the SEC. Only South Carolina, Vanderbilt and Arkansas were more inept.

Last year has no bearing on this year. 7-5 would be considered a disappointment.

1. Kentucky, Missouri

Now answer my question.
Already did. And you are gonna use Kentucky? A game where he threw a total of 8 times? And a game where Palmer made an incredible catch to pad JGs stats with a TD?

And to answer my original post.....you would be one screaming "I told you so".

If you can't understand that he is wildly inconsistent and he has serious trouble throwing consistently to a receiver in stride, then you are pointless to talk to.

You JG slurpers can't have a rational conversation. You instantly want to attack and argue. It's mind boggling the obsession you all have over this kid.

If he was consistent, why was he benched for a freshman throughout the year ?

Mistake I noticed: Middleton has to come back from knee surgery, should have been Gooden.

Middleton needs to come back from disciplinary action with girlfriend which I think he will.

On WRs, he doesn't seem to know that Brandon Johnson was leading WR two seasons ago and that we have Gibbs eligible.

details matter

it's obvious this article wasn't penned by a TN football fan

sophomoric journalistic attempt at being a sports writer, hmmpppf

1. Kentucky, Missouri

(Now answer my question.
Already did. And you are gonna use Kentucky? A game where he threw a total of 8 times? And a game where Palmer made an incredible catch to pad JGs stats with a TD?)

Yes. That pass you’re speaking of was thrown in the only place it could have been. It was an incredible catch, yes, but JG gets part of the credit for the throw.

(And to answer my original post.....you would be one screaming "I told you so".

If you can't understand that he is wildly inconsistent and he has serious trouble throwing consistently to a receiver in stride, then you are pointless to talk to.)

I’ve never claimed he was always consistent. You continue to say this point over and over and over. Literally no one has claimed that he has been consistent through this career.

(You JG slurpers can't have a rational conversation. You instantly want to attack and argue. It's mind boggling the obsession you all have over this kid.)

We “slurpers” attack, if you want to call it that, because all you do is attack the kid, then attack us for backing him up.

(If he was consistent, why was he benched for a freshman throughout the year ?)

Again... here you are claiming I’ve said he’s always been consistent.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
It’s hard to argue against this assessment, especially because Bailey didn’t get the benefit of a Spring practice. This means it’s either JG or a totally untested true Freshman at QB.

I suppose Maurer could take the initial reins of the offense until Bailey is ready, but I just don’t see it. Which means, barring a tiger being able to change his strips, JG will roll out his maddeningly frustrating rollercoaster play to start the season. And because of that, I don’t see how we will be able to score enough points in our early tests (OU & UF) to win.

I say 8-4 with 7-5 being a real possibility.
Those of us who are honest about JG's performance and demonstrated potential after 3 years are hoping that one of the unknowns is much better than the "known". It could be any of the 3... but they are unknowns. We don't know if Bailey can adjust quickly enough to be a factor or if he truly has the talent to ever be UT's starter- he could be recruited over too. Maurer and Shrout both showed some talent but made way too many mistakes.

Another reason to not play JG is the future. If the win target really is 7.5 then why play a guy who isn't going to be around next fall unless he's worth wins? Why not play a younger guy and build your team around them for a run in '21?

Give me ONE game, where any QB, didn’t throw a single pass that wasn’t 100% on the mark....I’ll wait.
He's a RS Jr that you guys constantly compare to Fr saying, "See there Maurer/Shrout were just as bad". Although they had their moments, both were about as bad throwing and JG had an advantage managing the run game. But that's just not where you expect a RS Jr to be. You have to expect a QB with that much experience to be a game changer FOR YOU... not someone you have to coach around.

Maurer probably would have started the rest of the season had he not gotten hurt. That's how close it was. If Maurer has just improved the typical amount expected between Fr and Soph season then he'll push JG and stands a good chance of beating him out in a straight up competition. If Shrout catches up on the mental and decision making part of the game then he may beat both out.

Most Fr aren't ready no matter how talented they are. But if HB really is as great as some think right out of the gates... then all three of the others can get fitted for clipboards.

I don't care what number is on the QB's jersey. I just want to see QB play MUCH better than what we've seen the last 3 years.

And to answer my original post.....you would be one screaming "I told you so".

You JG slurpers can't have a rational conversation. You instantly want to attack and argue. It's mind boggling the obsession you all have over this kid.

You seriously called the "JG Slurpers" out 3 months in advance in your original post (got evidence above) AND wonder why you can't have a rational conversation with "them"?

I think you should just continue what you're doing and be the first to call them out immediately when it happens, since its obviously the most important thing to you.

I stopped reading when it said Guarantano led the team to the bowl win.
In reality, he played so awful that he almost handed them the game and was benched only to return bc we had no other options
When did leading not 1 but 2 4th quarter come from behind drives become awful? Can't have it both ways.

You seriously called the "JG Slurpers" out 3 months in advance in your original post (got evidence above) AND wonder why you can't have a rational conversation with "them"?

I think you should just continue what you're doing and be the first to call them out immediately when it happens, since its obviously the most important thing to you.
It's a trend. I frankly could not care less one way or another. I'm on record numerous times stating I hope JG comes out and proves everyone wrong. I just don't see it happening. I use my own eyes to see what is reality and not pick and choose games and stats to build up something that isn't there.

Thanks for chiming in. Just curious what side of the fence are you on?

Reactions: 08Vol and saxvol
Already did. And you are gonna use Kentucky? A game where he threw a total of 8 times? And a game where Palmer made an incredible catch to pad JGs stats with a TD?)

Yes. That pass you’re speaking of was thrown in the only place it could have been. It was an incredible catch, yes, but JG gets part of the credit for the throw.

(And to answer my original post.....you would be one screaming "I told you so".

If you can't understand that he is wildly inconsistent and he has serious trouble throwing consistently to a receiver in stride, then you are pointless to talk to.)

I’ve never claimed he was always consistent. You continue to say this point over and over and over. Literally no one has claimed that he has been consistent through this career.

(You JG slurpers can't have a rational conversation. You instantly want to attack and argue. It's mind boggling the obsession you all have over this kid.)

We “slurpers” attack, if you want to call it that, because all you do is attack the kid, then attack us for backing him up.

(If he was consistent, why was he benched for a freshman throughout the year ?)

Again... here you are claiming I’ve said he’s always been consistent.

I don't attack anyone. I never have spoken one word to you until you quoted my post and went on the attack. I don't attack JG. I want him to do well and I hope he does. I just don't think he will. He is wildly inconsistent and has made some very poor decisions.

Those of us who are honest about JG's performance and demonstrated potential after 3 years are hoping that one of the unknowns is much better than the "known". It could be any of the 3... but they are unknowns. We don't know if Bailey can adjust quickly enough to be a factor or if he truly has the talent to ever be UT's starter- he could be recruited over too. Maurer and Shrout both showed some talent but made way too many mistakes.

Another reason to not play JG is the future. If the win target really is 7.5 then why play a guy who isn't going to be around next fall unless he's worth wins? Why not play a younger guy and build your team around them for a run in '21?
Honestly, I think this would be the case had we had Spring practice. Without it, I was think it’s asking a lot of a true Freshman or Maurer to be the guy to start the season. Especially with an away game in Norman, OK.

That said, we are still not on par with Bama & UGA, so why not play to the future? It’s an honest question and one I think is worth considering.

It’s hard to argue against this assessment, especially because Bailey didn’t get the benefit of a Spring practice. This means it’s either JG or a totally untested true Freshman at QB.

I suppose Maurer could take the initial reins of the offense until Bailey is ready, but I just don’t see it. Which means, barring a tiger being able to change his strips, JG will roll out his maddeningly frustrating rollercoaster play to start the season. And because of that, I don’t see how we will be able to score enough points in our early tests (OU & UF) to win.

No way u bashing Jg already ... didn’t see that coming, are you ever not predictable?

Honestly, I think this would be the case had we had Spring practice. Without it, I was think it’s asking a lot of a true Freshman or Maurer to be the guy to start the season. Especially with an away game in Norman, OK.

That said, we are still not on par with Bama & UGA, so why not play to the future? It’s an honest question and one I think is worth considering.
Assuming I am right and JG is at or near his ceiling... does he really give you a better chance against OU? I was actually encouraged thinking maybe he had overcome some of his issues but he was probably worse in those last two games than he was in the first two. The run game and D bailed him out.

You're probably still holding out more hope than I am. I think OU and any other upper tier FBS program will take advantage of JG's slow decision making and inability to anticipate throws. All of the other QB's have other risks. They could even be more risky than JG. But the upside is they may have more room to improve.

No way u bashing Jg already ... didn’t see that coming, are you ever not predictable?
Honest, objective criticism is "bashing"? He hasn't been an effective QB. You put Dobbs, Ainge, Bray, Clausen, etc at QB for this O and you would have had more points and wins. He has a lot of great QB and personal qualities. But the things he's missing are fatal.

Reactions: AllVols and 08Vol

Unfortunately true, all of it.

JG was good? What? I was told he was the worst qb in the conference no matter what the stats and wins said.

JG was good? What? I was told he was the worst qb in the conference no matter what the stats and wins said.
No, you were told the JG is not an elite QB like you make him out to be. Folks want to discuss his flaws, which are worrisome. He has some positives, but the negatives can be discussed as well. Just not by people like you. However, you spin the words and arguments to fit your obsession of the kid.

Most of us hope JG comes out and shocks the world and dominates.

Your post history seem to indicate you just hope he comes out.

It's a trend. I frankly could not care less one way or another. I'm on record numerous times stating I hope JG comes out and proves everyone wrong. I just don't see it happening. I use my own eyes to see what is reality and not pick and choose games and stats to build up something that isn't there.

Thanks for chiming in. Just curious what side of the fence are you on?

Calling people JG slurpers says a lot about you.

Reactions: ScottyP5

VN Store

Back