CFN 2020 Vols Preview

Assuming I am right and JG is at or near his ceiling... does he really give you a better chance against OU? I was actually encouraged thinking maybe he had overcome some of his issues but he was probably worse in those last two games than he was in the first two. The run game and D bailed him out.

You're probably still holding out more hope than I am. I think OU and any other upper tier FBS program will take advantage of JG's slow decision making and inability to anticipate throws. All of the other QB's have other risks. They could even be more risky than JG. But the upside is they may have more room to improve.
No, I don’t believe JG will give us better chance, based on his actual ability. The ONLY reason I suspect Pruitt will lean in his direction is he is the only QB we have that has at least been in hostile environments and run the offense for a entire game.

That’s all I have. Unfortunately, that’s the situation we are in. Had we had Spring practice, the calculus would possibly be very different. But we didn’t.

No, I don’t believe JG will give us better chance, based on his actual ability. The ONLY reason I suspect Pruitt will lean in his direction is he is the only QB we have that has at least been in hostile environments and run the offense for a entire game.

That’s all I have. Unfortunately, that’s the situation we are in. Had we had Spring practice, the calculus would possibly be very different. But we didn’t.
We've seen guys both recently and in the days before early enrollment come in and win the job... hopefully that means Shrout or Maurer can perform early or HB can be ready mid-season.

When did leading not 1 but 2 4th quarter come from behind drives become awful? Can't have it both ways.
When did playing poorly enough to turn what should have been a blow out into a game that needed a 4th quarter comeback become a sign of great QB play? I know you are counting the comeback against "Mighty Indiana" as one of those comebacks. What is the other one?

When did playing poorly enough to turn what should have been a blow out into a game that needed a 4th quarter comeback become a sign of great QB play? I know you are counting the comeback against "Mighty Indiana" as one of those comebacks. What is the other one?
I think he is referring to the two drives in the Indiana game and not two different games. I think.

If that's so, it's not a relevant argument by him. TN should have been up three scores easy on Indiana. What's the reason TN had to rally to begin with?

I think he is referring to the two drives in the Indiana game and not two different games. I think.

If that's so, it's not a relevant argument by him. TN should have been up three scores easy on Indiana. What's the reason TN had to rally to begin with?
Prob trying to include Vandy as a JG comeback...lol

You can't have it both ways, I asked you earlier, when other QBs do it why are they considered great for it and you dump on our QB when he does it, ridiculous. Another newsflash, he led 2nd half comeback drives vs Ky and South Carolina as well. You obviously don't give him credit for something I think has always been valued in QB play. I've also never heard a fan not credit QB play in game winning drives, you guys act like the Vols should never trail in a game. How can someone as bad as JG lead 3 game changing or winning 2nd half come from behind drives. Keeping spilling that reached his ceiling crap though.

Such a weak response, that would mean every game winning drive in the history of the game was because of early bad QB play and their comeback wins were really meaningless.

You can't have it both ways, I asked you earlier, when other QBs do it why are they considered great for it and you dump on our QB when he does it, ridiculous.
No. What is ridiculous is that you take exceptions and declare someone "great" based on them and then duck the hard questions. There was no need for the IU game to be so close that a come back was needed. It doesn't make someone "great" when they're the biggest reason a should be blowout is close.

Another newsflash, he led 2nd half comeback drives vs Ky and South Carolina as well.
To say UK was a game where he led a "comeback" is just myth. USCe wasn't some big "comeback". It was a 21-17 game at the half. JG threw a 2nd half TD as did Shrout. The other TD was a blocked kick.

This kind of delusion is why people might think you ARE k-town.

You obviously don't give him credit for something I think has always been valued in QB play.
So he does it once and he's "great"? The "great" ones do it often but MORE often don't need to against weak opponents.... if we were talking about UGA or UF or Bama and he struggles then leads a comeback... then you can talk about "great". But IU? Really? You want to call playing that poorly and then needing a "comeback" great?

I've also never heard a fan not credit QB play in game winning drives, you guys act like the Vols should never trail in a game.
You're making stuff up. He's failed at that more times than he's succeeded and in the one, specific example you gave he caused the game to be competitive when it should not have been.

How can someone as bad as JG lead 3 game changing or winning 2nd half come from behind drives. Keeping spilling that reached his ceiling crap though.
You're in denial... and grasping now. Reality is that he was as bad if not worse in the last two games as he was in the first 3... you just want to distract and deflect. He's had maybe 3 or 4 truly "good" games in the last three years.... and STILL hasn't led a UT O to more than 30 points vs an FBS opponent.

I WISH it weren't true. But unlike you my eyes have been open for the last 3 years. That same fundamental problem he had when he was eating all those sacks and holding on to the ball forever as a RS Fr... is still there. He doesn't make quick and effective post snap reads. He doesn't anticipate throws. And teams have consistently taken advantage of that weakness.

Such a weak response, that would mean every game winning drive in the history of the game was because of early bad QB play and their comeback wins were really meaningless.
No. It doesn't.

Do you not agree that TN should have easily beat Indiana by two or more touchdowns? What was TN behind to begin with?

Disagree.

Some combination of Eric Gray, Ty Chandler , Jones and Gibbs from the slot will be very productive. Or Calloway may start there if he stays at WR.

Palmer/ Keyton at SE
Palmer/ Wideman at FL

Johnson was decent two years ago, but he never ever had any explosive plays. Dropped some catchable balls too often.

Palmer was always going to be #1 in 2020. Wideman is a true freshman, Keyton showed some promise in his limited outings last season, but he was only targeted 4 times the entire season, with his best showing against IU's paltry secondary; nether are anything for sure at the moment.

We still need Brandon Johnson to be a factor even if for nothing other than a solid backup for the starting three,

It's a trend. I frankly could not care less one way or another. I'm on record numerous times stating I hope JG comes out and proves everyone wrong. I just don't see it happening. I use my own eyes to see what is reality and not pick and choose games and stats to build up something that isn't there.

Thanks for chiming in. Just curious what side of the fence are you on?
Behr is the fence.

Honestly, I think this would be the case had we had Spring practice. Without it, I was think it’s asking a lot of a true Freshman or Maurer to be the guy to start the season. Especially with an away game in Norman, OK.

That said, we are still not on par with Bama & UGA, so why not play to the future? It’s an honest question and one I think is worth considering.
I honestly wonder this. If you know we aren't gonna make a legit run this year and next year the team overall will be better, why not play the talented freshman at qb? You could possibly even get the same amount of wins.

Reactions: CA_Vol
No. It doesn't.

Do you not agree that TN should have easily beat Indiana by two or more touchdowns? What was TN behind to begin with?

Agree that JG was not good in the 1st half of the Gator Bowl, and that he's just wildly inconsistent, but where do you get that we should have crushed Indiana? I think the betting line was 2 or 3 points by kickoff.

Until HB is ready I think we have to roll with JG. Maurer's decision making is way too reckless. It's not JG's fault that we haven't had a better option than him in his time here.

That's your argument? Wow. So because JG is wildly inconsistent, he's the same as an elite QB since they both dont have a 100% completion rate??. K-town King....is this you???

Let's play a different game.

Name one game where JG was consistent. Name two games in a row where he showed consistent good play.

I'll wait....
I am an optimist but a realist. My hope is sr JG becomes sr Jonathan Crompton. My realist kicks in when I say I have to see it before I believe it.

Palmer was always going to be #1 in 2020. Wideman is a true freshman, Keyton showed some promise in his limited outings last season, but he was only targeted 4 times the entire season, with his best showing against IU's paltry secondary; nether are anything for sure at the moment.

We still need Brandon Johnson to be a factor even if for nothing other than a solid backup for the starting three,
If Wideman can catch the ball, he's going to be a factor. Freakish athlete with good skills after the catch.

If Wideman can catch the ball, he's going to be a factor. Freakish athlete with good skills after the catch.

Definitely has the frame to fill the hole left by Callaway; not sure yet if any of them have the level of fight in them that Jennings had. If one of them can step up and be a serious threat opposite of Palmer, it's going to give our offense the potential to be a constant threat with the right QB given that the oline and running game should both move to the next level this season.

Definitely has the frame to fill the hole left by Callaway; not sure yet if any of them have the level of fight in them that Jennings had.
That's a bar too high. I cannot recall anyone at UT ever having it like Jennings did. If you look at him otherwise... he's not a very good receiver. He dropped too many passes. He isn't fast. But what he lacked in talent he made up for in tenacity and toughness.

If one of them can step up and be a serious threat opposite of Palmer, it's going to give our offense the potential to be a constant threat with the right QB given that the oline and running game should both move to the next level this season.
I am honestly not concerned about WR considering the talent UT has in that group. There's not much experienced talent or much talented experience. But I think the experienced guys can hold it down long enough to give those other guys time to develop.

IMHO, Hyatt has pretty good skills for a HS kid. He needs to be bigger though.

Agree that JG was not good in the 1st half of the Gator Bowl, and that he's just wildly inconsistent, but where do you get that we should have crushed Indiana? I think the betting line was 2 or 3 points by kickoff.

Until HB is ready I think we have to roll with JG. Maurer's decision making is way too reckless. It's not JG's fault that we haven't had a better option than him in his time here.
TN and Indiana should not be comparable teams. Unfortunately, they are. For now. But even still, talent level alone should have given TN a huge advantage over Indiana. With good QB play, it would've been a easy win.

And I agree.... unfortunately we have to hope JG has a ridiculous overhaul in his play and decision making. I'd be happy if he could just figure out the blindside blitz. Every team does it to him. It's like a starving Lion seeing an injured baby wildebeast when the opposing defense sees JG at qb

No. It doesn't.

I don't agree at all. Vegas had it a 3 point game and they get it right much more often than our fans do. I thought that Indiana had a pretty good football team, maybe the best overall team that we beat last season.

I don't agree at all. Vegas had it a 3 point game and they get it right much more often than our fans do. I thought that Indiana had a pretty good football team, maybe the best overall team that we beat last season.

You are ignoring why Vegas had it as a 3-point game;it wasn't because IU had a prolific offense or a stout defense.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
We've seen guys both recently and in the days before early enrollment come in and win the job... hopefully that means Shrout or Maurer can perform early or HB can be ready mid-season.
I hope you’re right. GBO!

Martin against South Carolina in 1998.
So you go back 22 years for an answer (kinda my point) and....”well what Price did, he got his hands underneath the football and the ball bounced up into his arms, it was a low throw.” -JP Sports (14:11) (YouTube).

Wanna try again?

VN Store

Back