CFP projects TN to suck...

Spot on.. Jones took over a roster that had more holes than Loris Lerner's story about her IRS emails. Also, who has TN had as a real difference maker on D since Berry?

on defense, nobody. I've mentioned before. UT has had 4 def players taken in the draft since Eric Berry's year.
Boise has had 9.
Bama has had 23.
People should sit back, study and enjoy what they are doing in virtually every facet of the program.
Wins will come with Butch. They always have. If for some reason they don't in the next 2-3 years, the program will be on solid ground again from a talent and organization standpoint. When the last coach and last AD were here, the UT AD and football program was a freaking mess, and that doesn't include the ****ty product on the field.

Wishful thinking

Take a hint at what coaches say and tweet

When you hear, "We are a young team"

'We will be one on the youngest teams in the country on both sides of the ball"

They are dropping hints that we shouldn't expect too much

So you are saying they are pre-staging an excuse? Who is expecting "much"? Is six wins "much"? Seven? I don't think so. Much would be 10+.

A lot of fantasy and wishful thinking. Uga was without Gurley, Carolina qb was hurt.
Do you think our freshmen will be better as juniors and seniors? We have poor talent in junior/senior classes. Freshmen don't beat juniors and seniors.

Yeah... because Lord forbid that a UT fan have expectations that their coaches would actually do their jobs and coach a team up, right?

Crowder... is not poor talent. In fact, I would not be surprised to see him drafted in two years. He's not much of a drop off if any from Stone.

Marcus Jackson is very likely to be drafted.

Kerbyson has the size and athleticism to work his way into the draft... he replaces a guy who was not drafted.

Thomas like James before him is likely to be drafted. Freshmen who DO beat out upperclassmen often are. FWIW, James came in very good, started as a Fr, and didn't change that much over his UT career before being drafted.

Randolph, Worley, Lane, Pig, AJ, Maggitt, Saulsberry,... all poor talents, right?

The most pathetic kind of fan is one who is so afraid of disappointment that they insist on setting the bar lower than it should be. They excuse failure in advance because they expect failure.

Win or lose, Jones doesn't seem to have that attitude. Win or lose, he's better than fans like you deserve.

Reactions: 10 people
Oh, and the USCe QB was hurt non-sense is just that NON-SENSE. He's played hurt before and played well hurt before. He didn't have a very good game. It happens and the Vols were part of it. Again for those who actually LOOKED at the two rosters, that game being a possible win for UT was apparent this time last year.

Reactions: 1 person
While it's true that more and more freshmen are coming in physically ready to play, it's the MENTAL aspect of going from high school football to college football that most freshmen have the hardest time adjusting to. Nothing they do prior to stepping on campus can prepare them for that. The game is much faster than high school and these freshmen's heads are swimming as soon as they step on campus. Once they understand the game and what they are supposed to do, the game begins to slow down for them and they can just react without having to think too much. That usually takes at least a year in the program to get to that point. Bear Bryant used to say that for every freshman you start, you can pencil in a loss. I think he was right.

That's why coaching is absolutely crucial. It is why I have consistently said since Fulmer was fired that UT's turnaround needs a GREAT, not good, coach. Hopefully that is Jones.

Reactions: 3 people
People underestimate how tough it is to try to rebuild from suckiness, install an entirely new system and program with the fewest Nfl players on the roster in 20 years, and play one of the toughest schedules possible.
Being yr 2 will make a big difference in what we see on the field and the speed with which we play. This year's team in another conference wins 9.

Probably.

You and I have locked horns recently but I have a sincere question for you. Why do you think their philosophy on DL's is so radically different this year? They could have gone smaller and faster last year and chose not to. Instead of moving Miller, Walls, and maybe Williams inside, they stuck with Slow and Super Slow as their two DT's. I realize that losing Couch then Saulsberry were huge blows. They were probably the starting pair by the end of the season otherwise... but why do you think they are going small now but not before?

That's why coaching is absolutely crucial. It is why I have consistently said since Fulmer was fired that UT's turnaround needs a GREAT, not good, coach. Hopefully that is Jones.

Yep, still can't figure out why tenn wasn't a more dangerous offensive team with that veteran and talented OL? This season is going to be a match up nightmare on both sides of the ball.

Last year was about instilling a system, not dividing the locker room, developing leaders and going with with what they had. They didn't really choose to go big or small last year. They played the srs that had been thru hell and played live bodies at DT and lb.

If Jones comes in and benches several sr linemen, especially guys like Miller who really grew into men after having to go thru all the bs, he takes steps back as far as the big picture and it paid off because the UT locker room has not been as tight as it is right now
since '98.

Reactions: 6 people
Yep, still can't figure out why tenn wasn't a more dangerous offensive team with that veteran and talented OL? This season is going to be a match up nightmare on both sides of the ball.

4 OL coaches in 4 years with different techniques and terminology was a factor, as well as an entire new system for inexperience qb's.

That said, our avg per carry was top 5 all time for UT, iirc. Somebody correct me if wrong, but by that stat it would appear our OL blocked the run as well as any OL has at UT. Problem is with no TE, no qb and little talent out wide, we couldn't throw and put up points.

Reactions: 3 people
Last year was about instilling a system, not dividing the locker room, developing leaders and going with with what they had. They didn't really choose to go big or small last year. They played the srs that had been thru hell and played live bodies at DT and lb.

If Jones comes in and benches several sr linemen, especially guys like Miller who really grew into men after having to go thru all the bs, he takes steps back as far as the big picture and it paid off because the UT locker room has not been as tight as it is right now
since '98.

But that still doesn't get to my question. I can't think of a reason that Jones or even the UT family would have a great amount of loyalty for McCullers. He came in with hype and didn't even fulfill it under DD. Jones tried to pressure him into making a move by saying the D would go as McCullers went but the guy still didn't step it up.

Walls and Miller both played effectively as DT's for Wilcox. I know that anything you say will be speculation but of all the mysterious decisions that were made last year... the decision not to move at least Walls in side then have Hood and McCullers share the other spot befuddles me.

In some games it will and especially for the DL. I actually think the OL could be better if they can get good play at LT. The talent drop off won't be what many seem to think. Some of the new guys have a nasty streak that the 5 guys last year never showed in their entire time at UT.

Reactions: 2 people
4 OL coaches in 4 years with different techniques and terminology was a factor, as well as an entire new system for inexperience qb's.

That said, our avg per carry was top 5 all time for UT, iirc. Somebody correct me if wrong, but by that stat it would appear our OL blocked the run as well as any OL has at UT. Problem is with no TE, no qb and little talent out wide, we couldn't throw and put up points.

Would love to know our ypc against bad teams vs good teams. Averages can be a little skewed by that.

Edit: I'll figure it out real quick. Give me a few min.

Last edited:
People underestimate how tough it is to try to rebuild from suckiness, install an entirely new system and program with the fewest Nfl players on the roster in 20 years, and play one of the toughest schedules possible.
Being yr 2 will make a big difference in what we see on the field and the speed with which we play. This year's team in another conference wins 9.
good post

Scheme can account for some of that. The tough yard to get drives moving and controlling momentum, almost always has a crisis point you have to hurdle on most drives. I didn't see tenn invoking their will at anytime in the Bama game. Controlling the line of scrimmage is what football success is all about. Folks in orangeville are worried about this. Given your QB situation hasn't the options of last season's model, it's going to be interesting.

Here are the rushing numbers.

Austin Peay: 52 r.att 315yds 6.1 yard per rush
Western Kentucky: 45 r.att 240yds 5.3ypr
Oregon: 41 r.att 216yds 5.3ypr
Florida: 23 r.att 66yds 2.9ypr
S. Alabama: 37 r.att 278yds 7.5ypr
Georgia: 41 r.att 189yds 4.6ypr
SC: 41 r.att 146yds 3.6ypr
Bama: 28 r.att 127yds 4.5ypr
Mizz: 24 r.att 94yds 3.9ypr
Auburn: 43 r.att 226yds 5.3ypr
Vandy: 45 r.att 184yds 4.1ypr
UK: 43 r.att 218yds 5.1ypr

Wishful thinking

Take a hint at what coaches say and tweet

When you hear, "We are a young team"

'We will be one on the youngest teams in the country on both sides of the ball"

They are dropping hints that we shouldn't expect too much
Yep and when the team is good they will say 'We have to execute and protect the ball.' Then they will compliment the opposition.

:hi:
I am as big of a fan as I've met, but I understand why people say we suck. Because we have lived through the worst era in UT football history.

What bothers me is that the national guys act like getting 32 highly touted kids is insignificant to this season. You hear things like "you don't win with freshmen, they're inexperienced on the OLine" etc.

My argument is that even in the last 10 years, heck maybe even 5, freshmen have changed. These kids have camps, private coaches, nutrition plans, more gyms are available at low prices etc. They're coming in and they're about as prepared as we've seen freshmen be.

Now that's not to say that we'll win 10 games, but nobody is expecting that. But why is 7 wins looked at as impossible by the national media? Because they're not in touch with every program.

I'll say it again, 7 wins is what I'm expecting. I'm hoping for 8, and I honestly don't think it's that crazy of a stretch.

Last year who would have picked us to beat a superior SC team? Or to take Georgia within an inch of another upset?

Now you infuse the team with more talent, although less experienced. And I say we're a better team. If Butch and company could coach up those guys from last year, I expect the same this year.

You have 6 games on the schedule that you're going to be the favorite in. Find one upset and bam there's 7 games.

Last year we had experienced OLine and DLine and still sucked so the theory that "no returning starters on either lines" is flawed. These kids have played, just not started a lot. And we got an upgrade at skill positions.

QB-better this year
RB-better this year
WR-much better this year
TE-way better this year
OL-not as talented, but we'll see if they can perform better since they fit this system better. Might surprise some people.

DL-Same initially, better by game 4.
LB-more athletic, a way better this year
DB-better this year
K-TBD worse this year
P-TBD worse this year
KR-better this year
PR-slightly better this year.

Made some adjustments for my take.

With a young team, turnovers are a big concern.

Also, we were pretty disciplined on penalties last year. We need to have a net gain on penalty yards every game.

As far as expecting 7 wins: I see a low of 5 and a high of 9 wins. 6 or 7 wins is a reasonable expectation, eight if the lady luck comes our way.

Georgia and Florida are coming off a plethora of injuries and Georgia keeps losing players (starters)in the off season. Ole Miss has concerns too as their best stars have been in trouble a lot. We don't know which OK team we will face and they will likely be without their new 5* RB as he beat up some girl in a restaurant, on camera.

Last edited:

since '98.

BTW, I try to think it through from various angles both positive and negative. From the positive angle, the idea you express here is the best I have seen for explaining last year. That Jones started last year to play through with the Sr's and Tiny but to work toward the future with the other guys. Most every other way of looking at it comes back to coaches not being up to the level of competition they've taken on.

Last year Butch had approx. 10 of his players.....This year 30 couple will be added , all freshmen.....every body else is a dooley player....just sayin'

Scheme can account for some of that. The tough yard to get drives moving and controlling momentum, almost always has a crisis point you have to hurdle on most drives. I didn't see tenn invoking their will at anytime in the Bama game. Controlling the line of scrimmage is what football success is all about. Folks in orangeville are worried about this. Given your QB situation hasn't the options of last season's model, it's going to be interesting.

How does a team invoke their will against a Bama DL with no breakaway rb threat, no TE, and freshmen or walk on wr's up against pro db's with either Worley or 18 yr old 4th string qb? Tell me what scheme that is and I will make a call.

Reactions: 4 people
Given your QB situation hasn't the options of last season's model, it's going to be interesting.

Can you maybe explain what you were trying to say here?

FWIW, UT's QB situation this fall will be well ahead of what it was last fall. They are two years in the system now. By all accounts, Worley has improved his skills. By all accounts, Dobbs has taken big steps forward in skill and physical development. But the biggest thing is that UT will go from having a WR corps that was thin on talent and inexperienced to one of the deeper, more talented ones UT has had in many years.

Just looking at the "bodies" at WR... this is likely the most physically gifted group UT has had in 20 years.

Can you maybe explain what you were trying to say here?
FWIW, UT's QB situation this fall will be well ahead of what it was last fall.

Gifted QBs can raise their game in spite of a poor OL. Your OL is green and not as talented as last year's bunch. You hope you have that QB. Frankly, so do we all.

VN Store

Back