CFP projects TN to suck...

I'm sure these were "random" picks, but how do you not put Tennessee on that list of 25?! Really!!??

College Football Playoff Scenarios

It mostly has to do with the schedule. Were playing like most of the top ten teams in America. Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Oklahoma, are top ten and not far behind are Florida, Ole Miss, and Missouri. When you are doing that hard to break the top twenty five. If we were in another conference I think we would probably be in it somewhere.

The goal this season is to prove we can play with these teams. If we can win a couple of these games and win the games were supposed to win the praise and rankings will come.

If you are going to use these for excuses don't even field a team and just shut the program down. pure crap. We have heard these excuses since the first team took the field. The problem with these excuses is they are used as an excuse to hide poor coaching and undisciplined players. they have used these excuses to setup society to be the way it is today and have taught many a kids that it's ok to be a loser you'll get ice cream and a trophy anyway. No it's not ok. Win or go home.

That's great for pounding your chest and motivational speeches, but down here on planet Earth, it's ok to acknowledge reality.

Reactions: 1 person
I am as big of a fan as I've met, but I understand why people say we suck. Because we have lived through the worst era in UT football history.

What bothers me is that the national guys act like getting 32 highly touted kids is insignificant to this season. You hear things like "you don't win with freshmen, they're inexperienced on the OLine" etc.

My argument is that even in the last 10 years, heck maybe even 5, freshmen have changed. These kids have camps, private coaches, nutrition plans, more gyms are available at low prices etc. They're coming in and they're about as prepared as we've seen freshmen be.

Now that's not to say that we'll win 10 games, but nobody is expecting that. But why is 7 wins looked at as impossible by the national media? Because they're not in touch with every program.

I'll say it again, 7 wins is what I'm expecting. I'm hoping for 8, and I honestly don't think it's that crazy of a stretch.

Last year who would have picked us to beat a superior SC team? Or to take Georgia within an inch of another upset?

Now you infuse the team with more talent, although less experienced. And I say we're a better team. If Butch and company could coach up those guys from last year, I expect the same this year.

You have 6 games on the schedule that you're going to be the favorite in. Find one upset and bam there's 7 games.

Last year we had experienced OLine and DLine and still sucked so the theory that "no returning starters on either lines" is flawed. These kids have played, just not started a lot. And we got an upgrade at skill positions.

QB-better this year
RB-better this year
WR-better this year
TE-better this year
OL-not as talented, but we'll see if they can perform better since they fit this system better.

DL-taking a step back
LB-more athletic, a little better this year
DB-better this year
K-worse this year
P-worse this year
KR-better this year
PR-slightly better this year.

DL will be better this year. Faster. No push last year, like we were running in place and couldn't contain the edges. We will at least improve on containing the edges this season.

Wishful thinking

Take a hint at what coaches say and tweet

When you hear, "We are a young team"

'We will be one on the youngest teams in the country on both sides of the ball"

They are dropping hints that we shouldn't expect too much

We've been young for 5 years in a row now. Nothing new.....

on defense, nobody. I've mentioned before. UT has had 4 def players taken in the draft since Eric Berry's year.
Boise has had 9.
Bama has had 23.
People should sit back, study and enjoy what they are doing in virtually every facet of the program.
Wins will come with Butch. They always have. If for some reason they don't in the next 2-3 years, the program will be on solid ground again from a talent and organization standpoint. When the last coach and last AD were here, the UT AD and football program was a freaking mess, and that doesn't include the ****ty product on the field.

This is exactly how I view it. I think Butch will win here, but if he doesn't, we all owe him a thank you for restocking the program.

As for,all the discussion about freshmen, you see a fair amount of REDSHIRT freshmen making big contributions, but the number of TRUE freshmen making big contributions in high level college football is still small.

Tebow as a freshman only came in on 3rd - 4th and one... :) Chris Leak was the starting qb Tebow's freshman year and took 95% of the snaps... :)

Oh believe me I remember, but the downs he played even as a freshman he made a difference.

I am not trying to make anyone made but if it is another 5-7 season then Jones is likely not the right guy. Even if some are right and UT is only more talented than 5 opponents this fall (which they're not but I'm playing along) then winning only 5 would STILL suggest Jones isn't the right guy.

UT's turnaround does not need a guy who only beats the teams he has a talent advantage over. The "right guy" for UT will produce greater than the sum of his talent.

As of right now I wont say BJ is or isn't the man for the job. He has to show improvement this year and have a upset or 2 but I think Jones liability is Jancek. I think by the end of the year Jones will have to make a decision on a couple of his coaches and if not Jones wont make it to year 4. Our Def. was horrible and I don't see it getting better because I don't think Jancek is even a decent DC.

Reactions: 2 people
Pundits and fans NEVER, EVER pick teams to break out. They ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS.....predict based on the previous year. Nobody expected Auburn to even challenge for the SEC W in 2010 or last year, but they won their division. Nobody, but nobody picked Mizzou to win the SEC E last year.

So, predictions are like bungholes...everyone has one, and it usually full of worthless crap. It doesn't take any special insight to predict based on what happened last year.

Scheme can account for some of that. The tough yard to get drives moving and controlling momentum, almost always has a crisis point you have to hurdle on most drives. I didn't see tenn invoking their will at anytime in the Bama game. Controlling the line of scrimmage is what football success is all about. Folks in orangeville are worried about this. Given your QB situation hasn't the options of last season's model, it's going to be interesting.

Say_what.gif

Wishful thinking

So it sounds like the coaches think were pretty much going to win eight or nine games this year.... okay man I'm with you!

So it sounds like the coaches think were pretty much going to win eight or nine games this year.... okay man I'm with you!
Quite true.
That's my take, also. BTW: There's a 'bama troll poking around. 'Don't nobody feed it. It'll like ya' if you do.

Wishful thinking

So basically this is saying something but not directly saying it.

I don't have a lot of money.
This is another way of saying we'll have to eat at a fast food restaurant because I don't have enough money to eat at old Chicago or Buffalo Wild Wings.

VN Store

Back