Coach Cleats: Vols' Beard showing WRs how it's done

The Vols now have an impressive coaching staff, let's hope it translates to improved play on the field...:good!:

But can they beat Vanderbilt?
Beating Vandy used to be a joke, but it's no longer a joke for Butch Jones Vols

Shh ! Beating Florida trumps that! And the VOLS were injured but yes loses to sc and vandy hurt but imo Butch has grown and showed that with his hires and I think he wants a 🏆 As bad as we do and we don't know the details about last season but we do know that Butch is fighting to make us better and imo that deserves respect but maybe your not blessed enough to have been taught that, so Butch has grown and you should 2 ! So shhhh!

Reactions: 1 person
Reading the same complaints in everyour thread makes VN a worst site for everybody. Nobody enjoys the fact that last year was lackluster due to 2 losses to bad teams. Doesn't it get old to keep dwelling on the same thing half a year? Not every conversation has to be about it.

People love the bad and ignore the good! Go VOLS! Thanks Butch! Your coaching hires have me very optimistic about 2017. I think it's the perfect situation. No media expectations and a ton of forgotten talent!

Reactions: 2 people
Because losing to Vandy (and SCar) defined the 2016 season and left us short of our goal of playing in the SECCG. Losing those two awful games negated the great wins vs Georgia and Florida and left us on the outside looking in.

Also, we were very close to having a full team when playing Vandy. We were only missing one game 1 starter (Hurd) on offense and three game 1 starters (OBrien, JRM, TKJr) on defense. So, 19 of 22 (86%) starters were on the field vs Vandy.....that's beyond "very close to having a full team". The "complaint" is legit.

my god , death bringer..shut the fu#$ up. let it go and and leave it alone for at least one day,,or a week.

stfu

#STFU

Reactions: 6 people
“I mean, they’re still teaching us the same thing,” he said. “It’s still the same scheme, the same positions, all that. We’re just learning his trust now, so when we get better with that trust, we’ll be a better team.

“They teach the same things, but they just teach it differently. It’s a little bit different, but overall it’s pretty much the same thing.”

Either Beard and Z have the same philosophy at coaching WR, or Butch is still micromanaging his offense. I love the defensive changes we have made, and I think Shoop has full control over his staff and play style. However, offensively, I worry the same issues we continue because Butch is running the show with Scott at OC. As good as we were at running the ball last year, we managed to score 17 points total against Vandy and USCjr in the second half (14 at USCjr and 3 at Vandy). When high hopes were on the line, Butch failed to make adjustments in those games and we lost.

In the end, our season this year is going to come down to Butch not getting out coached in the second half by loser coaches like Muschamp, and our OL improving so that we can win the line of scrimmage late in games consistently. Staying healthy would help too, but hopefully our S&C this summer helps.

“I mean, they’re still teaching us the same thing,” he said. “It’s still the same scheme, the same positions, all that. We’re just learning his trust now, so when we get better with that trust, we’ll be a better team.

“They teach the same things, but they just teach it differently. It’s a little bit different, but overall it’s pretty much the same thing.”

Either Beard and Z have the same philosophy at coaching WR, or Butch is still micromanaging his offense. I love the defensive changes we have made, and I think Shoop has full control over his staff and play style. However, offensively, I worry the same issues we continue because Butch is running the show with Scott at OC. As good as we were at running the ball last year, we managed to score 17 points total against Vandy and USCjr in the second half (14 at USCjr and 3 at Vandy). When high hopes were on the line, Butch failed to make adjustments in those games and we lost.

In the end, our season this year is going to come down to Butch not getting out coached in the second half by loser coaches like Muschamp, and our OL improving so that we can win the line of scrimmage late in games consistently. Staying healthy would help too, but hopefully our S&C this summer helps.

The offense isn't changing because they hired beard after Z left. He's obviously gonna be teaching the same things that Z would be teaching if he was here

Can we get over the loss to Vandy? Obviously Vandy wanted that game more than us they won we lost get over it. Im ready for this season im leaving last seasons disappointment behind.

Reactions: 4 people
The Vols now have an impressive coaching staff, let's hope it translates to improved play on the field...:good!:

But can they beat Vanderbilt?
Beating Vandy used to be a joke, but it's no longer a joke for Butch Jones Vols

There is no reason to ever loose to them but we still do

my god , death bringer..shut the fu#$ up. let it go and and leave it alone for at least one day,,or a week.

stfu

#STFU

Take a breath son. Just having a discussion with a poster about a game or two last season. No reason for you to throw a tatntrum.

Even if what you said is true, which I don't believe it is, should it have matters vs a 5-6 Vandy team?

We had Dobbs, Kelly, Kamara, Malone, JJ, Byrd, Wolf, Croom, Thomas, Wiseman, Robertson, Kendrick, Richmond, among others, available on offense.

We had Barnett, Vereen, Kongbo, Lewis, Mixon, Phillips, Vickers, DKJr, McDowell, Jumper, Sutton, Moseley, Abernathy, Griffin, Warrior, among others, available on defense.

And again, I ask, should it even have mattered that we weren't quite a 100% strength vs a bad Vandy team? Of course it shouldn't have.

Also, what team in the SEC was at 100% the 13th week of the season last year or really any year? How many players was a severely outmatched Vandy team missing when they played us?

Look how many games last season the National Champions won games by the skin of their teeth. Those games should have never even been close.....they eked them out unlike us but still...they had just played for a NC and were odds on favorites to be in it at the end of the year/play offs.

BTW...defense is NOT all about being 100% healthy. It is also about playing smart...trusting your mate to do his role...and play as a complete unit. That was evident early on in the Va. Tech game and Florida game....the injuries started and there goes the mental toughness...and yes that 110% matters just as much if not more....it ain't all about athleticism which is why 5*'s don't always pan out.

I'm just saying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
The offense isn't changing because they hired beard after Z left. He's obviously gonna be teaching the same things that Z would be teaching if he was here

Beard will coach it with a different passion like Coach Gillespie...just my opinion but he played big time elite ball on an elite team in his day.

I have always loved seeing position coaches teaching their former position...it just seems to bring a certain edge to their coaching.

Look how many games last season the National Champions won games by the skin of their teeth. Those games should have never even been close.....they eked them out unlike us but still...they had just played for a NC and were odds on favorites to be in it at the end of the year/play offs.

BTW...defense is all about being 100% healthy. It is also about playing smart...trusting your mate to do his role...and play as a complete unit. That was evident early on in the Va. Tech game and Florida game....the injuries started and there goes the mental toughness...and yes that 110% matters just as much if not more....it ain't all about athleticism which is why 5*'s don't always pan out.

I'm just saying.

Defense is all about "being 100% healthy"? No it's not, because no one is ever 100% healthy late in the season. It's about the other things you said in the next 2 sentences plus playing fundamental, assignment football.....if you do those things when you're the much more talented football team, which we were, you win. If you don't, you give up 45 points and 416 yards passing to a team averaging 22 and 173.

Sad we are still complaing about last year's negative and not looking towards next year's positive.

Losing to Vanderbilt still stings. As it rightfully should. And it wasnt just the loss itself. That L kept us out of the sugar bowl.

Defense is all about "being 100% healthy"? No it's not, because no one is ever 100% healthy late in the season. It's about the other things you said in the next 2 sentences plus playing fundamental, assignment football.....if you do those things when you're the much more talented football team, which we were, you win. If you don't, you give up 45 points and 416 yards passing to a team averaging 22 and 173.

Well you simply pointed out that I meant to put a "NOT" in front of that....lol....while typing from an iPhone laying in bed so thanks. Editing now........

Was there talk around here that Brandon Johnson didn't like Coach Beard from his recruiting? If so was it ever stated why he didn't like him or what happened?

But yes, very excited about the staff additions and WR was definitely one position that needed it. Hope Byrd continues to grow and George and Callaway make immediate impacts!

And that is in just 4-years.

The football program CBJ inherited was in worst shape that the one Neyland did. Vandy, since CBJ wqs hired is playing much better than it has since the SEC intergrated Sports. They beat tams thay had not beaten in years when Franklin was coaching there. Thers is no reason why Vandy can not win championships in the future. I don't want to see that but they have things in place which allows them to do things that private schools can do but the rest of the SEC can't. They are in the top tier for baseball, basketball, and some other sports. They now have all that SEC money lke the other 13 SEC schools do. They will compete depending on their Administration and AD. If you don't realize that can happen, yo/we had better look a bit into the future.

Take a breath son. Just having a discussion with a poster about a game or two last season. No reason for you to throw a tatntrum.

How's about you take it to a more relevant thread? This one is about our WR coach's choice of footwear.

Reactions: 3 people
The football program CBJ inherited was in worst shape that the one Neyland did. Vandy, since CBJ wqs hired is playing much better than it has since the SEC intergrated Sports. They beat tams thay had not beaten in years when Franklin was coaching there. Thers is no reason why Vandy can not win championships in the future. I don't want to see that but they have things in place which allows them to do things that private schools can do but the rest of the SEC can't. They are in the top tier for baseball, basketball, and some other sports. They now have all that SEC money lke the other 13 SEC schools do. They will compete depending on their Administration and AD. If you don't realize that can happen, yo/we had better look a bit into the future.

Lol.

How's about you take it to a more relevant thread? This one is about our WR coach's choice of footwear.

Dude asked the question in this thread....so should I go to another thread to and discuss it with him? Doesn't seem practical.

VN Store

Back