Coach Cleats: Vols' Beard showing WRs how it's done

Why are we talking about the Vandy loss in a thread about our new WR coach and his coaching style. Take that crap somewhere else. Yes we lost. Yes it was a bad loss. Sometimes teams lose games they are supposed to win. Thats football. Let it go people.

Reactions: 1 person
Why are we talking about the Vandy loss in a thread about our new WR coach and his coaching style. Take that crap somewhere else. Yes we lost. Yes it was a bad loss. Sometimes teams lose games they are supposed to win. Thats football. Let it go people.

Thats what wrong with this football program we always living in the past.

Was there talk around here that Brandon Johnson didn't like Coach Beard from his recruiting? If so was it ever stated why he didn't like him or what happened?

Poster who claims to be a relative says that Beard downplayed his chances of being a take at Miami.

Thats what wrong with this football program we always living in the past.

The fans have nothing to do with "what's wrong with this football program". Winning nothing of consequence for a decade by the actual football team is the problem. That, and the horrific leadership/decisions which have led to all the failures.

I think Beard was one of the better finds this year.

Hope he will be. I believe he'll be better than Z no matter what. Also really like the Warren and Hoke hirings. Wanna see Scott succeed and think he will.....strong misgivings about Canales and Wells. We'll see....I thought Shoop was gonna prove to be a great hire last year too though, so I could be all wet here.

Hope he will be. I believe he'll be better than Z no matter what. Also really like the Warren and Hoke hirings. Wanna see Scott succeed and think he will.....strong misgivings about Canales and Wells. We'll see....I thought Shoop was gonna prove to be a great hire last year too though, so I could be all wet here.

Wells has already been a significant boost in regards to instate recruiting, and I'd be surprised if he's actually worse than Mahoney from a coaching standpoint. I really do like the Beard hire, but he is definitely the biggest unknown on the whole staff.

Wells has already been a significant boost in regards to instate recruiting, and I'd be surprised if he's actually worse than Mahoney from a coaching standpoint. I really do like the Beard hire, but he is definitely the biggest unknown on the whole staff.

I think Wells can have significant in state recruiting benefit because of how well known and how well liked he is. Don't think we've seen evidence just yet.

Last edited:
The Vols now have an impressive coaching staff, let's hope it translates to improved play on the field...:good!:

But can they beat Vanderbilt?
Beating Vandy used to be a joke, but it's no longer a joke for Butch Jones Vols

2nd part injected for what? Has nothing to do with the topic. Sheesh.

Reactions: 2 people
He seems to be a hands on type of coach not afraid to strap on some cleats and show his guys how he wants them to work. I like it.

Why is it some of you on here always bring up the same complaint? Why not bring up beating Florida or Georgia? If we had been anywhere close to having a full team when playing Vandy, then you have a complaint..

You're only as good as your record says you are:eek:lol:

The fans have nothing to do with "what's wrong with this football program". Winning nothing of consequence for a decade by the actual football team is the problem. That, and the horrific leadership/decisions which have led to all the failures.

This is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Our fanbase did nothing but bring a lot of negativity when we went 5-0 last season. Our fanbase is never satisfied by anything. We beat Florida for the first time in 11 years and all I heard was "We shouldnt have been 21-0 to start out" "Fire Debord" "We wont beat Bama or Texas A&M" Who do you think the players hear when they go class or go to their dorm room? Fans!!! They give them their opinion of the team every where they go. Yes I know players play in the football games but to say we as fans have nothing to do with us being down for the past decade is beyond me. I love to watch our Vols like the next man but we always come with negativity every season it never fails.

Reactions: 5 people
This is the craziest thing I have ever heard. Our fanbase did nothing but bring a lot of negativity when we went 5-0 last season. Our fanbase is never satisfied by anything. We beat Florida for the first time in 11 years and all I heard was "We shouldnt have been 21-0 to start out" "Fire Debord" "We wont beat Bama or Texas A&M" Who do you think the players hear when they go class or go to their dorm room? Fans!!! They give them their opinion of the team every where they go. Yes I know players play in the football games but to say we as fans have nothing to do with us being down for the past decade is beyond me. I love to watch our Vols like the next man but we always come with negativity every season it never fails.

So....you really actually believe that fans' opinions on message boards or in players' classes are the reasons for the last 10 years of poor Vols football, rather than the poor hires and decisions made by the administration and power brokers and actual poor play on the field?

You got "fire Debord!" and "we never should've been down 21-0!" as the reasons we're still climbing out of the hole......not things like Lane Kiffin, Derek Dooley, and Jones kicking an extra point when up by 12 or allowing 4 4th down conversions in the 4th quarter or trying to milk leads for a quarter and half with prevent defenses and 3 quarterback keepers in a row. So, we didn't lose to SCar last year because Dobbs had his worst game of the year and just really struggled....no, someone must've started a "negative thread" on VN that day.

So....all those tens of thousands of fans at the Vol walks, all those sold out Neyland stadiums, all that Nike gear being bought, all those Vol fans at the middling bowl games.....they mean nothing, just like the poor play/coaching on game days. Nope, for you it's the dude from Bucksnort calling into Vol Calls and questioning the play calling on the radio. Wow.

Last edited:
So....you really actually believe that fans' opinions on message boards or in players' classes are the reasons for the last 10 years of poor Vols football, rather than the poor hires and decisions made by the administration and power brokers and actual poor play on the field?

You got "fire Debord!" and "we never should've been down 21-0!" as the reasons we're still climbing out of the hole......not things like Lane Kiffin, Derek Dooley, and Jones kicking an extra point when up by 12 or allowing 4 4th down conversions in the 4th quarter or trying to milk leads for a quarter and half with prevent defenses and 3 quarterback keepers in a row. So, we didn't lose to SCar last year because Dobbs had his worst game of the year and just really struggled....no, someone must've started a "negative thread" on VN that day.

So....all those tens of thousands of fans at the Vol walks, all those sold out Neyland stadiums, all that Nike gear being bought, all those Vol fans at the middling bowl games.....they mean nothing, just like the poor play/coaching on game days. Nope, for you it's the dude from Bucksnort calling into Vol Calls and questioning the play calling on the radio. Wow.

When you put it that way KB it makes me question the players mentality when discussing fan support and how the negativity is "disheartening". That was a hold over from previous administration, he must not have had a 5* heart.

It can't be good for a team to be booed at home.

Our players aren't robots that have no regards for fan support, honestly they may have fan abandonment issues.

Who wants to be part of the team that turns Loyal Vol Fans against the players, coaches, or program?

Come to Tn, win championships and become Heroes to the fan base. On the other hand, if you don't win championships be prepared for the same fans to bash you for every mistake you have ever made(watch a lot of film).

Social media has an impact on players. Should it? Nope. Does it? Yes, even if it's manufactured drama(boycott MCB).

It's not the one and only factor of our slump, but no one thing is.

Winning NCs is a delicate balance of many factors that include a bashing back stabbing fan base.

To disregard fan interaction as a factor all together is similar to disregarding turnovers, injuries, penalties or even dropped passes all together.

A factor is a factor even if it shouldn't be or even if it's a small one.

Reactions: 3 people

A QB that can throw the ball accurately.

We get our DTs back.

Kongbo and Taylor have changed their bodies.

John Kelly

Young WRs get a chance to show out that havent got to play much.

Upgraded coaches at 4 positions that we've struggled (QB, WR, DB, DL)

OL should be the strong point of the team. Something we havent been able to say in 10+ years.

A QB that can throw the ball accurately.

We get our DTs back.

Kongbo and Taylor have changed their bodies.

John Kelly

Young WRs get a chance to show out that havent got to play much.

Upgraded coaches at 4 positions that we've struggled (QB, WR, DB, DL)

OL should be the strong point of the team. Something we havent been able to say in 10+ years.

I would think either QD or JG would be a more consistent, accurate, efficient passer than Dobbs, but we've not seen either play yet. Jury's still out.

Will be good to get KMac and Tuttle back. How healthy will they be? Looks like they're both ahead of schedule so that's good. Need 2-3 others to develop and step up and play very well.

Not sure about Kongbo and Taylor bodies, who cares? Can they play? Won't know until September.

Kelly is a huge positive, I believe Chandler will be as well. If CFA can develop we could have 3 very good running backs.

Having a bunch of young, inexperienced, unproven WRs isn't a positive imo. JJ and Byrd are though.

No way to know if we've upgraded our coaching staff until we know based on team and individual position performance. Defensive coaching changes look great on paper, not so on offense. Also, I'd have bet large sums of money last year that Shoop was a huge improvement over Jancek....proved to actually be a significant downgrade.

It was said that the OL should be the/a strong point of the team last year. Didn't work out that way, were actually a pretty large liability.

I would think either QD or JG would be a more consistent, accurate, efficient passer than Dobbs, but we've not seen either play yet. Jury's still out.

Will be good to get KMac and Tuttle back. How healthy will they be? Looks like they're both ahead of schedule so that's good. Need 2-3 others to develop and step up and play very well.

Not sure about Kongbo and Taylor bodies, who cares? Can they play? Won't know until September.

Kelly is a huge positive, I believe Chandler will be as well. If CFA can develop we could have 3 very good running backs.

Having a bunch of young, inexperienced, unproven WRs isn't a positive imo. JJ and Byrd are though.

No way to know if we've upgraded our coaching staff until we know based on team and individual position performance. Defensive coaching changes look great on paper, not so on offense. Also, I'd have bet large sums of money last year that Shoop was a huge improvement over Jancek....proved to actually be a significant downgrade.

It was said that the OL should be the/a strong point of the team last year. Didn't work out that way, were actually a pretty large liability.
And that, folks, is the difference between positivity and negativity. What I see as positives all you see is potential negatives.

And that, folks, is the difference between positivity and negativity. What I see as positives all you see is potential negatives.

No folks, it's not. It's honestly actually thinking about each position group and accurately assessing them. As opposed to "hey guys, Kongbo and Taylor changed their bodies....YAY, we're gonna be great at DE!"

Last edited:

VN Store

Back