Coach Doug Mathews radio show notes this morning

Nationdumb and dunce 4 hire.. Trolls or idiots? Does it really matter?.. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they were one in the same.

Reactions: 3 people
Correct, that is what you said. And Butchna took it to down the "If they play better, they'll be better" route.

Missed the OVERALL part. :)
hLepfiT.gif

Reactions: 1 person
We are most definitely more talented at DE this year.

Based on what Nationdom? Neither is in the same stratosphere as a football player with Derek Barnett.....and DB doesn't will himself to the quarterback, he gets there with tremendous quickness, strength and bend....do those things not measure how talented a player is? You've gone down the same illogical rabbit hole as D4H, and that's no good.

Based on what Nationdom? Neither is in the same stratosphere as a football player with Derek Barnett.....and DB doesn't will himself to the quarterback, he gets there with tremendous quickness, strength and bend....do those things not measure how talented a player is? You've gone down the same illogical rabbit hole as D4H, and that's no good.

Nationdom is scaring me. Usually full on negative.

Taylor, Kongbo, and Phillips had more stars than Lewis and Vereen. That's the entirety of his logic.

believe we have more than one quality TE...there's Johnson and also Latrell Bumphus...he will definitely get some playing time...he got game...mos def...:)

GO VOLS!

So if Kendrick and Thomas are sitting. Who is our starting Left Tackle???

Starting OL:
Center - Robertson
Guards - Jones and Smith
Tackles - Richmond and ??

Starting OL:
Center - Robertson
Guards - Jones and Smith

Tatum
Edit: Meaning I think Mathews believes Tatum, I personally don't know how it plays out.

Last edited:
This is what im expecting also. I mean, Barnett was a generational guy. But he was also just one reallllyyyy good player on the worse defensive unit in Tennessee program history.

I would trade 20 something sacks in exchange for a top 20 rush and pass defense if thats what happens this season, and i think we could possibly do that.

I still see Phillips, Kongbo and a few others getting like 5 sacks each this year. That all adds up. Especially if you can actually stop the run and force the QB to throw it.

Well said Book.

Starting OL:
Center - Robertson
Guards - Jones and Smith

Richmond has LT locked down according to Mathews. Followed up an outstanding spring with an outstanding Fall camp. Question is who is the RT?

I know football and you know I do. I am always laughed at and questioned.

Taylor, Kongbo, and Phillips had more stars than Lewis and Vereen. That's the entirety of his logic.

I understand that, but it's a flaw argument imo. No one has any idea what either Kongbo or Phillips can do at DE, how good they are there, because neither has played the position yet....and isn't that the point? Taylor looks to be an outstanding athlete in very, very limited time, but what kind of football player is he?

If someone's gonna say "they're more talented" than the starters from last year, are we looking at recruiting rankings from 2-3 years ago which mean little to nothing, or are we comparing them to Barnett and Vereen and how they played/what they produced on the field? Do we care about verticals and 40 times or tackles, sacks and TFLs? Nobody has done it better than DB at Tennessee and Vereen was a pretty decent Robin to Derek's Batman.

I DO get miffed at absolutes. This one teetered enough on the believable opinion side for me to roll with it as such...specially coming from our favorite absolutist. :) Equating the possibility of our overall DE talent being greater with a supernova (even tho our sun is too small) and the resulting black hole, however...:nono:

Well D4H came in to back you up, so you've got that going for you.

And you are straw manning me. You know I wasn't comparing the likelihood of the sun exploding to our DE group being better. I was pointing out the absurdity that your argument was "they could be better". Well duh. Saying anything is possible is a silly debate to have.

I know football and you know I do. I am always laughed at and questioned.

Not trying to laugh at you, but am questioning. Maybe we're looking at different measures here?

I think DB is an elite athlete with a helmet and shoulder pads on and his play and production validate that. The older players in Philly, his new teammates, are raving about what he's able to do, what he's shown them in a very short amount of time.....and most of that has to do with his physical ability to play football.

Starting OL:
Center - Robertson
Guards - Jones and Smith

Personally, I think it would be Smith at RT and Boulware/Jones at the guards. Smith can easily play RT this year.

Not trying to laugh at you, but am questioning. Maybe we're looking at different measures here?

I think DB is an elite athlete with a helmet and shoulder pads on and his play and production validate that. The older players in Philly, his new teammates, are raving about what he's able to do, what he's shown them in a very short amount of time.....and most of that has to do with his physical ability to play football.

Barnett also has freaky strength. Dude never got pushed around and also made a linemen take a step back.

Barnett also has freaky strength. Dude never got pushed around and also made a linemen take a step back.

Agreed. His intangibles are off the grid, but they're not worth much if he doesn't have the great athletic ability he has to go with it. Strength, quickness and great bend that only the best, most athletic DEs have.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back