Coach Doug Mathews radio show notes this morning

Yeah these guys can't tell the difference between talent ad production.

Kongbo and Taylor are clearly more TALENTED than Barnett. Both are taller, stronger, faster, and significantly more athletic. Whether they get as many sacks as Barnett is questionable but their physical tools aren't.

I can tell you right now that if Kongbo gets 10+ sacks this year like Barnett did last year, he'll end up getting drafted higher than Barnett. Kongbo has those Myles Garrett-esque physical attributes that'll have the NFL scouts salivating.

Kongbo and Taylor have talent no doubt but they have less experience.

Barnett and Vereen were proven, and experienced players.

Kongbo, Taylor, and Phillips are mostly inexperienced prospects with plenty of potential and talent. Please don't confuse a prospect with a proven starter like Barnett or Vereen.

These prospects will need to prove themselves on the field before I will acknowledge that the Vols are better at DE than last.

It's just like the old adage, everyone is an all-American in the preseason. Every team is undefeated in the preseason too!

You've never said Butch should be fired last year or the year before?

God forbid he have an opinion. I don't share it, but it doesn't make him a "negavol" (whatever the hell that is) if that's what he thinks specifically about that issue.

If you've read Nationdom's posts over the years, there's no doubt that he loves the Vols as much as anybody and is much, much more likely to lean positive with his thoughts about the program and players.

Reactions: 1 person
Kongbo and Taylor have talent no doubt but they have less experience.

Barnett and Vereen were proven, and experienced players.

Kongbo, Taylor, and Phillips are mostly inexperienced prospects with plenty of potential and talent. Please don't confuse a prospect with a proven starter like Barnett or Vereen.

These prospects will need to prove themselves on the field before I will acknowledge that the Vols are better at DE than last.

It's just like the old adage, everyone is an all-American in the preseason. Every team is undefeated in the preseason too!

I feel confident he confused a prospect with proven starters.

Reactions: 1 person
Nationdumb and dunce 4 hire.. Trolls or idiots? Does it really matter?.. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they were one in the same.

They are both vol fans, just think with their heart and not thier heads. I don't fault either of them for loving the Vols! Nothing about that is a troll.

Most of the trolls on here are obvious they show up just to discuss the Gators or Tide ect.

Reactions: 2 people
Liked most of that except about more zone on defense. Too often a good QB will pick apart a zone defense imo. Do not mind playing 6 or 7 yds off ball as long as not back peddling as soon as ball is snapped.

believe we have more than one quality TE...there's Johnson and also Latrell Bumphus...he will definitely get some playing time...he got game...mos def...:)

GO VOLS!

I listened to his entire show, I think he was referring to a proven and experienced TE.

Well D4H came in to back you up, so you've got that going for you.

And you are straw manning me. You know I wasn't comparing the likelihood of the sun exploding to our DE group being better. I was pointing out the absurdity that your argument was "they could be better". Well duh. Saying anything is possible is a silly debate to have.

And I didn't SAY that...so you're batin yourself. :) I honestly believe we'll have more OVERALL talent at the position. No one player BETTER than Barnett, but the aggregate better than Vereen,Lewis and DB. The "anything is possible" is your baby, scarecrow.

God forbid he have an opinion. I don't share it, but it doesn't make him a "negavol" (whatever the hell that is) if that's what he thinks specifically about that issue.

If you've read Nationdom's posts over the years, there's no doubt that he loves the Vols as much as anybody and is much, much more likely to lean positive with his thoughts about the program and players.

I think the real point here is someone screaming for Butch to be fired while the team having some of the most injuries on a team in NCAA history. That tells me there is an agenda and that the poster is football illiterate.

Reactions: 2 people
They are both vol fans, just think with their heart and not thier heads. I don't fault either of them for loving the Vols! Nothing about that is a troll.

Most of the trolls on here are obvious they show up just to discuss the Gators or Tide ect.

I hear ya and I definitely won't fault anyone for their fandom to whatever team. However, I'm allergic to stupidity, arrogance, smugness and an inability for someone to even remotely consider that tbey might be wrong...

I think the real point here is someone screaming for Butch to be fired while the team having some of the most injuries on a team in NCAA history. That tells me there is an agenda and that the poster is football illiterate.

What it "tells you" and what it actually is are two different things then.

Btw......"Most injuries on a team in NCAA history"......lol.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back