Coach Doug Mattews Analysis

Why not use North to run a quick slant across the middle (this will take the corner and safety out) and run the RB on a delayed route into the vacated CB's area?
Make North the primary and the RB the secondary, this allows the QB to read only half of the field.

The point that I'm making is that we are not making any game-time adjustments. If our primary weapons are neutralized, we are just s**t out of luck. We never use an opponent's strategy to set up other plays. In fact, I haven't seen any indications that we actually game-plan for opponents (we run the same crap no matter who we play).

This is a coaching issue.

yep, that is why second half is always worse than first.

Why not use North to run a quick slant across the middle (this will take the corner and safety out) and run the RB on a delayed route into the vacated CB's area?
Make North the primary and the RB the secondary, this allows the QB to read only half of the field.

The point that I'm making is that we are not making any game-time adjustments. If our primary weapons are neutralized, we are just s**t out of luck. We never use an opponent's strategy to set up other plays. In fact, I haven't seen any indications that we actually game-plan for opponents (we run the same crap no matter who we play).

This is a coaching issue.

This ^^...

Coach Mathews views coaches as a close fraternity, and he respects the time and effort that coaches put in on the job. I live in middle Tn and listen to him 3-4 times a week. I have not heard him speak this openly about anyone since we all new that Dooley was done here. He was a good DC, he has studied offenses for years as his job! what he is trying to tap dance around and say is that we should have our TE's chipping on the DE's and releasing on short routes, running more middle of the field quick slants with our big WR's, more running draw plays and screens.
Coach Mathews would not be given VIP passes to attend practices and driving from Nashville to Knoxville multiple times a week if he didn't care about UT football.

This is the exact thing I have said since week 1, but all most on here can say is that our OL sucks. Do the above and a lot of the OL issues disappear and more options open up for the offense.

My problem is we have not made any adjustments to fix it. A point I think Matthews was making. We are running the same crap every game offensively and it is the hardheadedness of not making the adjustment because we are teaching a system not learned. Oh it's going to get better but it going to take awhile. 4 years + IMO unless we adjust to our system to our personal versus adjusting the personal to the system.

Agreed

Is being VERY critical of Bajakian on 104.5 the zone Nashville. He is saying he has no idea what UT is trying to do on offense. Has no idea why North was only thrown to twice last night. Said North is the best player on offense and isn't being used. Said an offensive line is more effective when playing down like linemen should. He said they aren't even trying this. He said UT keeps trying to do the same thing over and over and over and over and he doesn't understand why............

He isn't calling Bajakian by name because of his obvious relationship with UT. But, it's obvious. He's clearing his throat to stop himself from calling out some names.

He is all over Worley as well...........

Well, the very definition of crazy is trying the same thing over and over hoping for a different result. Baj should be called by name, he's responsible for it. If I'm HC I fire him now and wish him the best. And then I bring in a guy I stand in awe of on the sideline.

Is being VERY critical of Bajakian on 104.5 the zone Nashville. He is saying he has no idea what UT is trying to do on offense. Has no idea why North was only thrown to twice last night. Said North is the best player on offense and isn't being used. Said an offensive line is more effective when playing down like linemen should. He said they aren't even trying this. He said UT keeps trying to do the same thing over and over and over and over and he doesn't understand why............

He isn't calling Bajakian by name because of his obvious relationship with UT. But, it's obvious. He's clearing his throat to stop himself from calling out some names.

I just forgot....IF we had NORTH running the route in the 3rd QTR instead of PIG when the ball was overthrown to Pig by just a few inches....we would have had a TD.....It just aggravates the living crap out of me when we have NO CLUE about how to effectively utilize the talent we already have on the field.....

Pig is an average SEC receiver....and should be limited to the slot position....or crap, jutst line him up in the backfield and throw the ball to him on a flare pattern....

Where was ANY FADE or back shoulder passes to North, Croom, or Malone? Ole Miss appeared to be lining up in the secondary to take away the slants....but faking the handoff and throwing the slant does require the Safety to react and take himself out of the passing lanes....

And

Worley doesn't have time to go through a progression... Half of the time he is getting pressure before any of the WRs are out of their breaks...

Well sir, that's because OUR OC has no clue how to use TEs to "chip" the DEs to keep them from coming off the ball like racehorses. Also, Worley is dropping too deep and is too slow to step UP into the pocket.....

Some sacks are ON THE QB as much as on the OL....Worley and Bajakian (because he hasn't recognized it and fixed it) shares a lot of blame for the sacks because taking too deep of a drop essentially makes it a footrace between the DE and OT to the QB....

Reactions: 1 person
I'm praying to god we don't have any major kids like North transfer out.. I hope and I think they are buying in with what Butch is saying, once they stop believing like some of the fans have... It's over.

I hope someone like North does'nt either, but if things stay like they are, I would'nt blame him. You throw to a future NFL player only twice in a game? I know some of that depends on time to throw, but you'd have to be an idiot not to throw to him more if that was the actual plan. Who is this Bajakian fella? What has he done or accomplished that would garner respect to say 'you cant let this guy go, give him time'? What's he done?? If he's done nothing, there's guys out there that have done something.

Reactions: 2 people
Undoubtedly, he knows nothing about the process

We definitely know you don't. People hold Matthews in some kind of mythical status. He has never been an OC nor a HC. He is just another media guy giving his opinions. But because he coached at UT, everything he says is gold.

smart man, he knows football. most fans don't. he hit the nail on the head. jones is an idiot for letting this guy run the offense.

We definitely know you don't. People hold Matthews in some kind of mythical status. He has never been an OC nor a HC. He is just another media guy giving his opinions. But because he coached at UT, everything he says is gold.

no if you watch the games it is an accurate observation.

All of you need to stop posting this stuff because clearly none of you actually understands this offense. I'm a realist and this is recruiting related.

100% agree and I've noticed it all year. Big time weapon not being utilized.

All of you need to stop posting this stuff because clearly none of you actually understands this offense. I'm a realist and this is recruiting related.

I'm the first to admit I don't understand this offense. I'm not sure our OL or QB understand it either.

About the only people who seem to understand and appreciate our so called offense are the opposing D-Linemen who lick their chops at padding their stats

Found it enlightening last night to hear Freeze scrapped his hurry up offense. I guess Bo was making too many bad hurried decisions.

The Vols forced 7 punts in the first half, including 6 three and out's. If they were running a regular offense, using 30 seconds of the play clock, letting it run down, wouldn't those 7 possessions about entailed the entire first half? Wouldn't the score have been, at worst, 7-3?

With a slower paced offense, there will be less possessions in total. With the solid defense Tennessee has, why not limit the number of times they are on the field, shorten the game, and increase the value of each possession?

Rather than 15-20 possessions per team, why not make it 10 or 12 by slowing the game down on offense? Butch can always go back to the hurry up when they have the talent, but for now, limiting the total number of opponent possessions seems the best way to leverage the good defense and pathetic offense.

Thats just it, he is not adjusting to the players he currently has to win games. The best coaches adjust game plans and play calling to the personel thats available at the time.

I'm the first to admit I don't understand this offense. I'm not sure our OL or QB understand it either.

About the only people who seem to understand and appreciate our so called offense are the opposing D-Linemen who lick their chops at padding their stats

I'm with you my post would have been better served with blue font.

BJ needs to scrap this joke that he calls a offense, Its an embarrassment. He might want to at least try to fix it instead of spit out excuses after every loss.

He was a coordinator at UT. I think they won 10 or 11 games......

Basically he doesnt know what hes talking about because he came off critical of the staff, specifically the OC.

Had he proclaimed patience and everything will be fixed given some time hed be a freaking genius that coached at UT so he should know.

VN Store

Back