Coach Doug Mattews Analysis

a wise man once said...."you can chose to love or hate....I chose love" Johnny Cash

We definitely know you don't. People hold Matthews in some kind of mythical status. He has never been an OC nor a HC. He is just another media guy giving his opinions. But because he coached at UT, everything he says is gold.

He's a just a media guy? The man was in coaching for what 30 yrs? I think he's blowing smoke when he tries to discuss recruiting but I have little doubt he understands the game and recognizes problems when he sees them. Especially given his experience as a DC he might know a thing or two about an offense exploiting a defense.

Reactions: 1 person
:
We definitely know you don't. People hold Matthews in some kind of mythical status. He has never been an OC nor a HC. He is just another media guy giving his opinions. But because he coached at UT, everything he says is gold.

:lolabove::clapping::eek:lol:

Why not use North to run a quick slant across the middle (this will take the corner and safety out) and run the RB on a delayed route into the vacated CB's area?
Make North the primary and the RB the secondary, this allows the QB to read only half of the field.

The point that I'm making is that we are not making any game-time adjustments. If our primary weapons are neutralized, we are just s**t out of luck. We never use an opponent's strategy to set up other plays. In fact, I haven't seen any indications that we actually game-plan for opponents (we run the same crap no matter who we play).

This is a coaching issue.
Why can't anyone else see this?

I have been mentioning about Worley taking 3-5 step drops when he is already in shotgun. What kind of Qb coach would tell him to do that or not correct it? It seems like it takes him forever to set his feet. :banghead2:

What's even worse is all the times he is getting plastered by the DE. The true freshman was living back there this Sat. EVERY decent team we have played and the results are identical.

If you'll notice the DE can speed rush on any of our slow tackled and hardly have to turn in to sack the QB. It's almost a straight bee line b/c the QB is so far back. The tackle would normally come out of his stance and set to block the DE. But in this case he has to jump farther out just to get a hand on the guy.

OU did it all night. UGA & UF did it all day and OM did it all night. It's crazy.

What's even worse is all the times he is getting plastered by the DE. The true freshman was living back there this Sat. EVERY decent team we have played and the results are identical.

If you'll notice the DE can speed rush on any of our slow tackled and hardly have to turn in to sack the QB. It's almost a straight bee line b/c the QB is so far back. The tackle would normally come out of his stance and set to block the DE. But in this case he has to jump farther out just to get a hand on the guy.

OU did it all night. UGA & UF did it all day and OM did it all night. It's crazy.

yep, makes for a "BIG POCKET" for OL to protect!

One of my biggest problems with the OC is that he is constantly saying that we will work to the strengths of our personnel, yet we run a variation of the zone read with a non-running QB, who is no threat to run. We have good WR's in our offense, but we don't throw to the best ones on slants or other quick routes enough. I agree with Coach Matthews that we need to put our linemen down and run block by firing off the ball, because they suck at pass blocking out of the shotgun due to lack of strength and youth. Dropping back out the shotgun is crazy and I never will understand it. Throw quick and losen the defense up to set up the run game. Otherwise, people will continue to load the box and dare us to run until we prove we can pass.

Worley is going to have 3 turnovers a game, whether they be interceptions or fumbles. Can't beat anybody doing that. Case in point? Florida. Senior QB should not be turning the ball over with our defense playing as good as they are.

In fairness, I saw them do this on one of the sacks. The TE chipped and released. The Tackle (Gilliam I think) still couldn't get over in time to touch the DE. TE was wide open but Worley took the sack instead of dumping it off. Brutal to watch.

Speaking of Worley taking the sack. In the first quarter, he was being chased out of the pocket, and instead of throwing the ball out of bounds, he is sacked for a nine yard loss. Hell throw the ball OOB if no receiver is open.

He's a just a media guy? The man was in coaching for what 30 yrs? I think he's blowing smoke when he tries to discuss recruiting but I have little doubt he understands the game and recognizes problems when he sees them. Especially given his experience as a DC he might know a thing or two about an offense exploiting a defense.

Heck, let's start a petition to hire Doug Matthews as DC.

Somehow I knew when I hit submit that my point was going to crash into the wall above your head, but whatever.

my sincerest apologies for my failure to recognize your superior wit! From now on I will refer to you as superior point maker deansredhalo, even if you never do it again!

I really like North as a person, ambassador for the University and the football team and a player, but he has to get tougher, mentally. He let the fla dbs push him around and he let alittle of that happen Sat night. None of the WRs make WOW plays. They catch it if its right to them but they arent making anything special happen. OM WRs made a WOW play or two Saturday night. Big difference in the game.

CMB deserves some criticism. He's got to get across to his offense the turnovers have to stop.....He lost two games on turnovers and let this game get out of hand because of them. He did a horrible job, I think, not keeping Tennessee out of trouble while they were facing the wind. Throwing the ball like crazy backed up when he should have been running the ball, running the clock and ending that qtr still down 14-3.

All but the last of OM TDs were scored with the wind at their back. With less than 3 minutes remaining in the 3rd qtr and Tennessee getting the wind in the 4th, they practically meltdown and give up 10 points taking a 14-3 game to 24-3.

VN Store

Back