Coach Doug Mattews Analysis

It's hard to believe how bad some of the offensive and defensive units we've had in recent years have been. Whenever one side of the ball is solid, the other side inevitably isn't just mediocre but TERRIBLE. It is uncanny for a program like ours. I'll bet that in 5 of the last 12 years we have had either an offensive or defensive unit that was one of the worst in the country. The offense reminds me of the Clawfence--except that this team has more talent at WR.

What little I got to hear of Matthews this morning what he is talking about is some fairly significant schematic changes. That will have to start with Jones. He owns the business and its structure. Bajakian is the manager of it.

Reactions: 1 person
I think he went full on sarcasm with his post.

I know he was. I like Count and I get his sense of humor too. I think a handful of folks on here can't hear his radio shows or don't remember or know who coach Mathews was, so I just took an opportunity to share a little more about him. The Count is in good standing Beecher.

I'm praying to god we don't have any major kids like North transfer out.. I hope and I think they are buying in with what Butch is saying, once they stop believing like some of the fans have... It's over.

We lost our best QB to a transfer already!

Matthews said QB ran the ball against Chattanooga but not against Ole Miss. Does not understand that. Said it should have been the opposite.

I understand it. He's not afraid getting hit by Chattanooga's defense. He ran against Utah State too, probably for the same reason.

Matthews said QB ran the ball against Chattanooga but not against Ole Miss. Does not understand that. Said it should have been the opposite.

I understand it. He's not afraid of getting hit by Chattanooga's defense. He ran against Utah State too, probably for the same reason.

Sorry, double post. Delete, mods, please.

I understand it. He's not afraid getting hit by Chattanooga's defense. He ran against Utah State too, probably for the same reason.

Serious question. You are Jones. You are RS'ing Dobbs because he's your guy going forward and needs it. Your back up is Peterman. You want opponents to believe the QB run is a part of your offense but do not want to lose your starter because of Dobbs RS and Peterman's inability to handle the pressure...

Do you really run Worley against the best two D's in the SEC?

Serious question. You are Jones. You are RS'ing Dobbs because he's your guy going forward and needs it. Your back up is Peterman. You want opponents to believe the QB run is a part of your offense but do not want to lose your starter because of Dobbs RS and Peterman's inability to handle the pressure...

Depends if you want the offense to be more effective/efficient or not. Worley's a football player, needs to suck it up. Keep it 4-5 times and get down/slide as soon as you encounter someone, whether it's 1 yard or 10 yds downfield. As Mathews has said, he's probably safer running the ball, choosing where he's gonna go, when he's gonna go down, when he's gonna get hit, than standing in the pocket, standing still, just waiting for a D-end to tee off on him.

our OT's first move is to stand up, lean, and shimmy their feet before getting any hands on the dl. I'm not familiar with blocking techniques, but know I don't see that technique much. Totally off balance and the DE has a full head of steam before anyone puts a hand on him

Exactly. The DE just goess around 55 cause he can't adjust due to being off balance. In some sacks, the DL aren't even touching our guys. The backs are blocking more than our OL. Course that only happens when they are in there to help

And it is Jones' system that Baj has been running for 7 years or so. The coaches name of which he will not speak starts with the letter J.

System isnt the problem. Half of college runs this system. It's play calling that is killing us and lack of adjustments.

our OT's first move is to stand up, lean, and shimmy their feet before getting any hands on the dl. I'm not familiar with blocking techniques, but know I don't see that technique much. Totally off balance and the DE has a full head of steam before anyone puts a hand on him

Muhammad Ali invented this technique. It is called the rope a dope. Quite innovative for CBJ and Co to transition it from the boxing ring to SEC football.

Dont think they are RS him because they think he is the QB of the future. He hasn't shown anything that would lead anyone to believe he is the next great QB at UT. He was 4th string last yr and if Riley had stayed he would be Fourth again. If Dobbs was really an option he would be playing this yr. Butch doesn't know if he will even be here three more yrs and doesn't RS guys cause to save them for the future. As bad as Worley and Peterman are that should tell you where Dobbs is. Butch knows he needs to get us to a bowl and will play the best guys and Dobbs isnt that.

Does it annoy anyone else that this guy is referred to as coach even though he is not coaching? I was a powerlifter 20 years ago so refer to me as powerlifter bignewt.

Does it annoy anyone else that this guy is referred to as coach even though he is not coaching? I was a powerlifter 20 years ago so refer to me as powerlifter bignewt.

I dunno, is Joe Montana still referred to as Super Bowl champion QB Joe Montana? What about former Presidents?

Lou Holtz?

Doesn't bother me, he has the credentials.

Reactions: 2 people
North is getting bracketed by a safety often. That's why Malone was open a bit. We did try to hit him deep a couple of times, but couldn't, and there was one in his hands. Teams are manning up on North, with safety help, and know we have to throw quick stuff do to OL problems.

Bad offensive line play is absolutely killing us. If you are horrible on the offensive line and also have a immobile quarterback, defense is easy. They just rush the passer and jam the receivers knowing that the quick game and screens are our only options.
I don't really blame the coaches for the play-calling. No one can call plays with what we are facing. I do blame them for the apparent lack of improvement on the offensive line. It's about time for freshmen to start playing like sophomores.

No he is referred to as Joe Montana and I wouldn't compare this guy to a former president. I guess its just me, carry on.

Apparently Matthews finds it much easier to be a sidewalk coach than it was to remain a sideline coach. Much easier to see the plays that 'should be' run and the talent that 'should be' playing better.

VN Store

Back