Coach Doug Mattews Analysis

Apparently Matthews finds it much easier to be a sidewalk coach than it was to remain a sideline coach. Much easier to see the plays that 'should be' run and the talent that 'should be' playing better.

Wth does this mean? Guy coached major college football for 20 years including 10 years in Knoxville. He's just commenting on what he sees, just like the rest of us, only he has much more credibility.

Reactions: 3 people
Wth does this mean? Guy coached major college football for 20 years including 10 years in Knoxville. He's just commenting on what he sees, just like the rest of us, only he has much more credibility.

This fan base has gone bat Sh!t crazy. Like your crazy as s ex girlfriend...

Matthews final comment is that the good recruiting will correct a lot of our problems and Ole Miss will be tough to recruit against.

I can easily believe this. When I grew up in Memphis the press covered Ole Miss like IT was the state team. Then again, Memphis always wished it was Mississippi and not part of Tennessee.:hi:

There is hope for those of us who so are sick of losing. Don't watch the game. You feel a lot better on Sunday when you see the score. There is something about actually watching the game that intensifies the pain of losing.

Found it enlightening last night to hear Freeze scrapped his hurry up offense. I guess Bo was making too many bad hurried decisions.

The Vols forced 7 punts in the first half, including 6 three and out's. If they were running a regular offense, using 30 seconds of the play clock, letting it run down, wouldn't those 7 possessions about entailed the entire first half? Wouldn't the score have been, at worst, 7-3?

With a slower paced offense, there will be less possessions in total. With the solid defense Tennessee has, why not limit the number of times they are on the field, shorten the game, and increase the value of each possession?

Rather than 15-20 possessions per team, why not make it 10 or 12 by slowing the game down on offense? Butch can always go back to the hurry up when they have the talent, but for now, limiting the total number of opponent possessions seems the best way to leverage the good defense and pathetic offense.

Reactions: 4 people
Wonder who the first idiot is that will call him a negavol and say he knows nothing of football.

There is hope for those of us who so are sick of losing. Don't watch the game. You feel a lot better on Sunday when you see the score. There is something about actually watching the game that intensifies the pain of losing.

I am sure that is true for you bandwagon fans.

All those quotes from Doug Matthews? Thanks captain obvious. He must read VolNation because it's the same things we have already said a dozen times. Such great insight.

Don't be into Matthew's Crap. He is a true supporter.

If Matthew's is calling out Coaches, then the honeymoon is over for him.

With CBJ I think he is sticking so much to his plan and he is not changing anything. He has bought into it so much that he has become so hard headed about it he is not making the necessary adjustments and is selling his plan.

That wick is running short. As a result we are seeing the same production and the same outcome every week. Truly believe that CBJ is going to ride this philosophy out until something gives.

Sometimes you have to think outside the box and make the changes necessary to win until you get to a point you can revert back to your style of play. My fear is that we may be hearing patience for another two years.

We have now gotten to the point offensively at mid season that it is to difficult to make adjustments. The decision to red shirt Dobbs at the first of the season maybe a moot point. We knew Worley was injury prone and with this Oline it was obvious that we may get to that point at some point of the season. Plus Worley cannot throw on the fly. Putting Dobbs in at this point maybe a disaster with an OLine as beaten up as this. OBTW Peterman is Peterman and the system and SEC is just to fast for him.

Shot gun formation with a 3 to 5 step drop is just f****ing wrong. It seems as though it programs the OL for failure by always being on their heels.

Look at the Defense and then the Offense. The Offense cost us every game this year or at least being competitive in every game losses. My problem is we have not made any adjustments to fix it. A point I think Matthews was making. We are running the same crap every game offensively and it is the hardheadedness of not making the adjustment because we are teaching a system not learned. Oh it's going to get better but it going to take awhile. 4 years + IMO unless we adjust to our system to our personal versus adjusting the personal to the system.

Last edited:
My problem is we have not made any adjustments to fix it. A point I think Matthews was making. We are running the same crap every game offensively and it is the hardheadedness of not making the adjustment because we are teaching a system not learned. Oh it's going to get better but it going to take awhile. 4 years + IMO unless we adjust to our system to our personal versus adjusting the personal to the system.

I think that sums it up very well!:hi:

Reactions: 1 person
Seems like to me Butch doesnt know how to fix his offense. I think he is just gonna ride it out and collect is 3 million dollar paycheck.And if UT fires him after year 3 or 4, it is what it is. He is a BS used car salesman!If you know football, you could see before he was hired that his offense wouldnt work in the SEC.

Reactions: 2 people
North was not 100% last night. He took a shot to the small of his back against Chattanooga and is still feeling it. Couple this with the fact Ole Miss was doubling up on him all night, it makes sense why he saw limited attempts. We essentially used him as a decoy last night to free up other receivers.

It's not just play calling, there is a problem when there are no adjustments to the scheme. Play 2 TE sets and help the Oline. You have talent on the outside. Run 2 man routes. Throw WR screens. Don't call double reverses when the Oline can't block on regular plays.

Coach Mathews views coaches as a close fraternity, and he respects the time and effort that coaches put in on the job. I live in middle Tn and listen to him 3-4 times a week. I have not heard him speak this openly about anyone since we all new that Dooley was done here. He was a good DC, he has studied offenses for years as his job! what he is trying to tap dance around and say is that we should have our TE's chipping on the DE's and releasing on short routes, running more middle of the field quick slants with our big WR's, more running draw plays and screens.
Coach Mathews would not be given VIP passes to attend practices and driving from Nashville to Knoxville multiple times a week if he didn't care about UT football.

While I agree that the TE should chip the DE and release for short routes, Ellis did do that once (need to do more though), Worley did not see him in time. I think Worley has tunnel vision too btw.

While I agree that the TE should chip the DE and release for short routes, Ellis did do that once (need to do more though), Worley did not see him in time. I think Worley has tunnel vision too btw.

Worley doesn't have time to go through a progression... Half of the time he is getting pressure before any of the WRs are out of their breaks...

Reactions: 1 person
North is getting bracketed by a safety often. That's why Malone was open a bit. We did try to hit him deep a couple of times, but couldn't, and there was one in his hands. Teams are manning up on North, with safety help, and know we have to throw quick stuff do to OL problems.

Why not use North to run a quick slant across the middle (this will take the corner and safety out) and run the RB on a delayed route into the vacated CB's area?
Make North the primary and the RB the secondary, this allows the QB to read only half of the field.

The point that I'm making is that we are not making any game-time adjustments. If our primary weapons are neutralized, we are just s**t out of luck. We never use an opponent's strategy to set up other plays. In fact, I haven't seen any indications that we actually game-plan for opponents (we run the same crap no matter who we play).

This is a coaching issue.

VN Store

Back