Coach Summitt has passed away

Thankful for all the lives impacted by Coach Summitt. Asking the Lord to provide the exact shade of His Grace and His Peace to Tyler and family

An absolute VFL in the truest sense. Thank you for everything, Coach.

Heaven's basketball team just got a heck of a coach.

RIP Coach! You touched so many lives. Your legacy will live on forever

It is hard to comprehend, but in 10 years, when someone is approaching her coaching record we should realize that she should actually still be coaching.

Reactions: 3 people
Pat Summit was the only reason I ever watched the Lady Vols (or women's bball at all). She was the coach who IS bigger than the program.

Reactions: 1 person
Thoughts and prayers are with the family

One of a kind

A Tennessean through and through

RIP, coach

Rest in peace coach summit you were an inspiration thanks for everything you did for UT athletics you are the meaning of VFL.

I had the honor of meeting her several times. She was so gracious each time and was very good to my daughter (4 at the time).
So sorry for her family may God allow them to find peace. She suffers no more and that is a blessing.

Life can be so unfair.

Never thought it would happen this fast. Man, what a crappy year 2016 has been for deaths.

RIP Pat. Your impact on people's lives cannot be measured.

Damn shame. She should still be coaching. Didn't know her illness was one that could hit you that hard while you were still in your early 60's.

RIP

Early onset Alzheimer's disease is unfortunately very aggressive...much more so than regular Alzheimer's.

Sad day for everybody in Vol Nation. Pat you'll be missed and remembered with love and respect.

BTW, Mike Greenburg delivered an amazing impromptu tribute this morning when the news arrived. Its still the only topic they're covering on Mike and Mike.
CBS Today Show's opening "Your world in 90 seconds" started with Pat..

The State of Tennessee is diminished with the loss of her favorite daughter but the ripples of her positive impact upon people will not be diminished for generations to come.

RIP

I am one sad, sad Tennessee Vol today.

She was just the greatest in so many ways. We do not see her like very often. Prayers and comfort to her family, friends and VN and to all who are dealing with this terrible disease.

I know it's probably already been said, but Pat not only built Tennessee women's basketball, she helped build the sport itself into a much larger, more present existence as a whole. I actually liked watching the Lady Vols more than watching the men's teams. No offense to the men's teams but, that's they way I felt.

I remember posting this when she retired, but I can't seem to find it anymore, so here it is again:

My family vacations in Seagrove Beach, FL every year. In the Summer of 2007, I was down there with my wife, parents, grandparents, three sisters, and four of my sisters' friends. So, as a party of 13 we went to eat dinner at a place called the Old Florida Fish House. As a large party we had to wait on a table, so we all went to the bar.

My dad, grandfather, and I were sitting at the bar while the ladies were scattered about the room. A woman comes in by herself and sits down to our left. After a few minutes, we realize that it's Pat Summitt. Normally I'm not big on germing someone, but I figured since she was simply watching the baseball game that was on the bar TV, I wouldn't be interrupting much. I leaned over and said "hi" and congrats on the national title. She was friendly, thanked me and, when she noticed my dad's Bama polo, she joked "Oh no, I'm in trouble now!" We told her that we were from Nashville and, despite being Bama fans, we really respected all she'd accomplished. The conversation lasted maybe a minute, and then the rest of her party arrived, and we stopped bugging her so she could be with them.

After a few minutes, her party is called and she requests her tab, pays, and heads toward her table. A few minutes after that, our name is called, and we request our tab. The bartender gives us a confused look and briefly looks around like he's trying to locate someone. He then points the the stool that Coach Summitt had occupied a few minutes before and says "The lady who was sitting next to you told me to put you on her tab." She paid for the drinks of 13 people who had been in and out of her life for a grand total of about 60 seconds. She didn't tell us she was going to do it, and she didn't even stick around to receive a "thank you".

I was blown away by that. 9 years later I still am. When I teach my kids the crucial life lesson of kindness for the sake of kindness, that's a story I'm going to use to illustrate the point.

I respect and admire everything she accomplished on the court. But Pat Summitt the person? That's who I'm a fan of.

Reactions: 30 people
I'm sad. I'm glad she's relieved of her pain and that awful prison of dementia/Alzheimer's but I can be selfish at times like this. She was truly special.:pat:

VN Store

Back