Coaching Search Thread

Greg Marshall. Supposedly he is listening to offers. And Alabama is really interested, especially with their in-state rival hiring Bruce.

Reactions: 1 person
Don't remember specifically, but I think I knew about Pearl from his Sweet 16 run at UWM.
Yeah fair enough. Brad Underwood hasn't gotten to the S16 but did go to the Round of 32. Better than Cuonzo's "mid-major" record and better than Donnie's "mid-major" record. Lets snatch him up out of SFA.

What's sad is we'll most likely have one of the bottom 25% coaches in the league. Alabama and Auburn will boat be ahead of us.

Yeah fair enough. Brad Underwood hasn't gotten to the S16 but did go to the Round of 32. Better than Cuonzo's "mid-major" record and better than Donnie's "mid-major" record. Lets snatch him up out of SFA.

He would definitely fit the mold of UT's recent hires whether or bad.

I would like a seasoned coach and not an up and comer. Looking at our program realistically, it will be two recruiting classss before we even make a serious run to even get into the tourney. Most Up and comers haven't had to take over programs in our condition.

Pinkins has been named interim. Wouldn't surprise me if they tried him for a season and held off on a hire and did some actual vetting if he can't handle it.
Knows the players.
Good teacher.
Mentors: miller, Kennedy, Tyndall
other teams have tried it. Depaul comes to mind.

Given that the AD has shown it won't open its purse strings for a sure thing basketball coach, I would be okay with this.

I'm sure you had to Google Bruce Pearl at one point too. They all start somewhere.

Probably not. Bruce was quite high-profile at the time, getting a lot of media attention from his Wisconsin-Milwaukee team's success in the Big Dance; knocking off Alabama for one.

I would like a seasoned coach and not an up and comer. Looking at our program realistically, it will be two recruiting classss before we even make a serious run to even get into the tourney. Most Up and comers haven't had to take over programs in our condition.

Byrd or Stansbury?

Given that the AD has shown it won't open its purse strings for a sure thing basketball coach, I would be okay with this.

No reason to go the interim route as the timing is actually good for UT to hire a HC for once with the annual coaching convention and Final Four coming up.

Byrd or Stansbury?
Neither. Byrd is too old and is a slow recruiter. He doesn't go for high profiled recruits and goes for hard working, white boys who want to be at Belmont and Belmont only. No players have ever transferred out of his program. He recruits to Belmont and the type of recruits he gets wouldn't fit well with the fan base.

Stansbury is not a winner.

This is probably unrealistic, but Jay Wright for Villanova might listen if a big time program comes knocking at the door with a raise. His salary is about $2.3 million a year and he gets his teams to the tournament and he can recruit. The problem is they always have an early exit and fans are really starting to get on him about it and eventually could end up on the hot seat for it. Maybe he would consider a change in scenery.

My list (most aren't reasonable I know)
But,

Bruce,Jeff naebuer,Shaka,prohm, brad Stevens, chris mooney.

Neither. Byrd is too old and is a slow recruiter. He doesn't go for high profiled recruits and goes for hard working, white boys who want to be at Belmont and Belmont only. No players have ever transferred out of his program. He recruits to Belmont and the type of recruits he gets wouldn't fit well with the fan base.

Stansbury is not a winner.

Why would they transfer when they go to the tourney every year and upset high seeds every other year? He goes to the tourney more than most of the "up and comers" listed before him. And he has to be realistic in his recruiting. No major player is gonna fo to OVC unless its grades or issues. You don't know how he would recruit in a bigger league, bigger school, and with a bigger budget.

VN Store

Back