Colin Cowherd: UT should give Gruden $10 Million

I can't wrap my head around the argument of Gruden hasn't coached in college.

I won't let a Cadillac Engineer work on my go cart, cause he never has.

If you just don't like him, that's fine. But come on.

It ain't happening, but I am in huge favor of the idea.

Reactions: 2 people
The NFL is a whole other animal though. You are pretty much at the mercy of the GM. If you have a sucky GM then your going to be sucky too. Coachs have input but they don't necessarily get to pick there own players all the time. I think that's what happened with gruden

You get what you pay for

We like driving Yugos

It just dawned on me that Hambone Hamilton looks like Mr Bean.

I think Mr Bean would have been superior to the last two ADs. Can't retire Bama Dave fast enough but looks like we're cruising for more hiring malfeasance. Will reserve judgment but need homerun hires everywhere.

How about a super bowl winning coach?

Maybe if we played in the NFL. Two different beasts. They don't always mean you'll have success in the other if you have success in one. He won a super bowl years ago. Doesn't mean he'd even come close to winning a National championship.

Reactions: 1 person
I cop to liking women of the thicker persuasion but that chick is PRIMO.

Did you notice that boat in the background? I got sucked into her bounce hypno magic and didn't see the boat for a good while.

Could that be for the boat load of money I have heard people speak of?

It's happening folks.

Last edited:
I can't wrap my head around the argument of Gruden hasn't coached in college.

I won't let a Cadillac Engineer work on my go cart, cause he never has.

If you just don't like him, that's fine. But come on.

It ain't happening, but I am in huge favor of the idea.

This.. My initial concern with Gruden would be on the recruting aspect of college and to a lesser degree his absence from coaching, NOT his ability..

Edit: That being said UT will never pay that kind of money and I'm not sure he'd come anyway if offered..

Reactions: 1 person
He's just trolling UT fans and getting other clicks with Gruden's name. Wish this fantasy would just go away

Bingo.,,and he knows there are enough delusional fans to reignite this silly discussion. Kinda like the mystery of Oak Island. Argue among yourselves a little, look serious sometimes, discuss ancient history and walla you got yourself a TV series for a couple of seasons....entertainment????

The same Cowherd that called Clemson a fraud?

He initially picked them to win it all before the season stated (along without TN to be in the final four). Then when they started playing sloppy and had close games to bad teams including a loss to PITT he sold his stock.

Then admitted he was wrong for calling them a fraud and gave them their due for turning it up in the playoffs.

Bingo.,,and he knows there are enough delusional fans to reignite this silly discussion. Kinda like the mystery of Oak Island. Argue among yourselves a little, look serious sometimes, discuss ancient history and walla you got yourself a TV series for a couple of seasons....entertainment????

Don't you dare trash the Curse of Oak Island. I love that show. It's waaay better than Cowherd.

Paying a coach of Gruden's quality $10 million per year is more "realistic" than people think. However, the Gruden train passed by a long time ago. He's been out of coaching for 8 years and has one of the cushiest jobs in American sports.

Would you rather make $5 million working part-time in a low-stress job talking about football all day or $10 million in a high-stress job where you work 24/7/365 and your every decision is micro-analyzed? Even if he could make a slight bit more money coaching, Gruden basically has the "dream job" right now, and he'd be wise to never leave it.

Gruden's 54 % lifetime winning % would make everyone on VN happy. Just as long as he wins half his games he could retire with no worries that's all we expect.

Last edited:
Been asking that forever and it seems the only valid answer is his name.

I've seen many responses answering your question. Just because you don't accept them doesn't mean they aren't there.

The only reasons I've seen as to why he wouldn't be worth hiring is, he's never coached college and he won a super bowl with someone else's players. What team did he beat in the super bowl he won with "Tony's Boy's"? Who's "boy's" were they?

Someone posted yesterday that any coach could have won that super bowl with that team. Do you think we could have traded Butch for Dabo in January of 16 and he would have taken Clemson to the NC and won? I don't, but that's just my opinion.

He does have a little experience in college, maybe not enough to argue but it ain't "none".

At the very least, his name alone is better than any other "name" that has been thrown out there. Imo.

:loco:

One thing's for sure. It'd be an all-time, all-in for Tennessee. The contract it would take to get him would be something like what FSU just gave Jimbo Fisher.

Personally, I would never do it. It's just too high risk to invest that kind of money into someone who has no track record of running a college program. Coaching in the NFL is a completely different animal.

I like Jon Gruden a lot. I think he is one of the more entertaining talking heads in sports. But, I also think that much of his "football mastermind" persona is a result of his place in television and his charisma.

Sure, he might take us to where 'Bama currently resides, but he also might take us to the cleaners.

One thing's for sure. It'd be an all-time, all-in for Tennessee. The contract it would take to get him would be something like what FSU just gave Jimbo Fisher.

Personally, I would never do it. It's just too high risk to invest that kind of money into someone who has no track record of running a college program. Coaching in the NFL is a completely different animal.

I like Jon Gruden a lot. I think he is one of the more entertaining talking heads in sports. But, I also think that much of his "football mastermind" persona is a result of his place in television and his charisma.

Sure, he might take us to where 'Bama currently resides, but he also might take us to the cleaners.

Not disagreeing, but I think that could be said for anyone.

And, considering where we've been and where we could be at the end of this season, I would not hesitate.

I am basing all of this on if we are searching for a coach in the end of the 2017 season, not now. I also know this is not happening anyway, it's just a "what if" discussion.

YEAH...that like makes him super rich...like that's twice as much...right?

6357521535426317331769627792_giphy8.gif

That a nice boat.

VN Store

Back