Comparing the Talent Levels at Tennessee and Florida

we are said to be "low talent" level. But before last years performance--which can be attributed to freakish levels of injury and loss of intensity due to poor coaching/development-- remember that we were coming off TWO nine win seasons and several top rated recruiting classes. Those two nine win seasons and the recruiting classes didn't just disappear after going 4-8 along with the exposure of Butch and his inept coaching "process!"

Don't listen to or be fooled about that BS claiming no talent. And don't listen to that BS about a big job in rebuilding! We got the horses--we just got to saddle them up and ride!

And the whole story will change when the Vols take down WV!

Perception is driving that narrative. Off seasons, coaching hires, etc... And it's just easier to say uf isn't as far away as ut.

That game doesn't scare me at all. It actually should be a very competitive game. Chances are probably a lot closer to even on who wins than either being a big favorite.

I think their schedule is easier as well, so conventional wisdom says they'll have a better season.

And they probably will, even if they lose in Knoxville
UF is my pivot game for the 5 up to 6 win season for UT. But if UF wins, they very easily could be undefeated going into the cocktail party

But the data doesn’t lie: According to the 247Sports Composite rankings, the Vols have slightly more talent than Florida heading into this season. So why are the narratives around the two teams so different despite both coming off four-win seasons and making coaching changes in the offseason?
Name recognition, pure and simple. Florida is not as far removed from their last period of success and hired a fairly well-known new coach.

UF is my pivot game for the 5 up to 6 win season for UT. But if UF wins, they very easily could be undefeated going into the cocktail party
i think they have a much easier schedule than us, but there as capable of losing to LSU, MSU, us and USCe as we are to UF, MO, WVU and USCe.

i see very little differences in the two teams except the fact that we likely have 3 guaranteed losses on our schedule vs. their 1. so even if we win that game, i have very little doubt that UF will probably finishe wiht a better record and higher in the SEC E than us.

another thread about Floriduh….
Season cannot start soon enough...
I think we are a better team than them and will beat them to start out 4-0..
We have talent that was never coached properly and was wasted on all the gimmicky schemes that are gone now...
These guys did not just forget how to play football...( even tho it looked it last year )
The dog and pony show is gone as is the bad environment of last year...
New coaches and a new clean slate and a new attitude for the VOLS...
We are going to win and surprise a lot of people...
GBO

Reactions: tbones0711

I think it is more appropriate to look at the players and their college production for comparisons. Using high school ratings after someone has been on campus for 3 years is not a true picture of their talent level.

For example:

Kongbo was a 5 star but has not advanced past a 3 star D-1 player.. (Lack of development)

RIchmond was a 5 star but has not advanced past a 3 star player (lack of development and likely over rated)

Phillips was a 5 star but has not advanced past a 3 star player. (injuries and lack of development)

Tuttle was a 4 star but has not advanced past a 3 star player (injuries and lack of development)

Bates was a 4 star but has not advanced past a 2 star player. (Injuries, desire and lack of development)

A few examples to the poor. There are good examples also like Trey Smith but not very many.

If you go through Tennessee's roster, most have not achieved their high school rating in college. Could be due to injuries, lack of experience and certainly lack of development. Players entering their 4 or 5th year have had almost zero development from previous staff.

I don't plan to assess entire roster or Florida's roster.

I recall during SEC Media Days when it was CJP's turn at the desk to be interviewed by the four bobbleheads, David Pollack said (and I paraphrase): Coach, you have Trey Smith. Is that all you have over there?
It takes only a few moments to analyze our roster as the author of this article has done. I believe what it boils down to is that our adversaries want to apply the boot when they perceive that we are down.
Their perception is limited and blurred. UT was down last year and the boot was applied then. Enough. A rude awakening fixin' to take place. WVU may escape but UF is going down in Neyland with a thud. We match up against all they have and our O-Line is superior IMHO. It's our house.....UT has never been to the cellar, ('cept 17), and we aren't going back.

Florida has 19 starters returning.

A lot has come out about their strength & conditioning program under the last coaching staff (or lack thereof). Players were paying trainers our of pocket.
This to go along with the lack of quality coaches on offense means they get better just by having Mullen as the coach.

The defense was very young last year, starting two freshman CBs.

Reactions: Jaws
The idea that UF is going to be pretty good this year is frankly laughable. Their QB situation is still a mess. They haven't recruited anywhere near their potential for years. The talent level between the two teams is very close. UT should probably be a small favorite with the homefield but we'll have a better idea of what our team is made of after the opener.

Just about every year in the UT/UF game we turn one of their 3/4 stars into a 5 star campus legend overnight.

Reactions: VolinMC
The idea that UF is going to be pretty good this year is frankly laughable. Their QB situation is still a mess. They haven't recruited anywhere near their potential for years. The talent level between the two teams is very close. UT should probably be a small favorite with the homefield but we'll have a better idea of what our team is made of after the opener.

They don't have to be better than us. They can beat us by out coaching us! They can also beat us by playing mistake free football and waiting for us to make a mistake, like an interception or fumble and then beat us that way

If TN beats FL, very few in the media will give TN and CJP credit for being a good team. Instead, they will just say FL isn't as good as they thought they would be and Mullen still has more work to do.
What most are doing is calling TN's under-developed/coached roster an untalented roster. I expect this TN team to play with attitude and play harder than we have seen in quite a while. We win two more games last year with better coaching and play calling. Bet your ass we win at least 6 this year and possibly 8. I trust the defense to be better, we'll see if the offense can keep the ball longer than 3 and out and put up some points. The defense spent way too much time on the field last year because of the offenses inability to run some clock.

I don't think we win 6 or 8 this year. Yes coaching will be better and player development will be better. However, every team n our schedule has also improved just like we have improved?

Who's the other 5* besides Smith...Kongbo?

That question speaks volumes. It also highlights why you cannot compare the actual CFB playing talent of teams based upon HS star ratings. Of the three 5 stars credited to the talent pool on the UT roster, one has lived up to the ranking, one has not and people cannot remember the name of the 3rd.

The star ratings also give UT credit for having a very highly rated 4 star duel QB in his 3rd season on its roster. Not all 4 star QB's are apparently equal once on the actual playing field in real college games....Same for every recruit at every position. Try comparing your on paper "talent" to that of TCU, Washington, Miami, Mich St., Wisconsin etc.. UT wipes the floor with those teams on paper. But play them in an actual game and see who has more talent.

Last edited:
Their perception is limited and blurred. UT was down last year and the boot was applied then. Enough. A rude awakening fixin' to take place. WVU may escape but UF is going down in Neyland with a thud. We match up against all they have and our O-Line is superior IMHO. It's our house.....UT has never been to the cellar, ('cept 17), and we aren't going back.

More often than not over the past four decades, it's been our house too.

I'm not bold enough to predict more than 8 wins this season..because I'm not sold on any of our QBs at this point...but I can promise you if UF was breaking in a new HC with no prior experience, while UT brought in a guy who had Mississippi State ranked #1, the chatter around here would be completely different.

Reactions: super MOM and Jaws
You should send this to Greg McElroy, according to him this morning, talent is no where close between UT and UF, and we are at the bottom of the sec talent wise. He did say we have a couple of players, but apart from Smith, warrior, and Bituli, that was it...
Yea they don’t have a damn clue. All they base there predictions off of is last years performace. If they had any brain cells they could see that this team quit trying after the Florida loss. The cupboard isn’t near and if UT beats WV I can’t wait to hear them cry

Exactly, which is why I think we'll know pretty soon how good of a coach CJP is.
I agree. We should see growth in players, due to good coaching (finally). W or L, I believe our new coach will actually coach football, winners in life type crap should have come to an end. There is a lot more talent in TN than we have seen in the past couple of years-maybe now we'll be able to see some of these guys coached and developed into the type of players we expect at TN. As all real Vols are doing, I'm counting down the days!

I agree. We should see growth in players, due to good coaching (finally). W or L, I believe our new coach will actually coach football, winners in life type crap should have come to an end. There is a lot more talent in TN than we have seen in the past couple of years-maybe now we'll be able to see some of these guys coached and developed into the type of players we expect at TN. As all real Vols are doing, I'm counting down the days!
The only thing we can’t judge until we see the product on the field is how long it takes for a staff to have an effect on the development of players. This staff is top notch so I expect improvement i just don’t know how long it will take to occur for the players to reach their full potential

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
There is no need to get into a pissing contest about talent level and these two teams.

Missouri would comment about the talent level of these two teams, but they just scored again

Florida has 19 starters returning.

A lot has come out about their strength & conditioning program under the last coaching staff (or lack thereof). Players were paying trainers our of pocket.
This to go along with the lack of quality coaches on offense means they get better just by having Mullen as the coach.

The defense was very young last year, starting two freshman CBs.

Florida will be much better on defense, Florida will be much better on special teams because they actually practice special teams now, Florida will be bigger/stronger/faster and in shape as a result of actually working out this summer. So it will once again come down to offense/QB, and I like what Mullen brings to the table here.

VN Store

Back