Conference Games Only?

All I know is this...Without delving deeper than surface level into my medical history, I had an organ transplant in 1993 at the age of 16, and since that time I've taken anti-rejection medication for it...I take what's called Imuran EVERY single day, and I will for the remainder of my life, god willing a very many years...I'm very much "immunocompromised"...I also have two boys ages 14 and 10 who I want to see grow up.

It's honestly not political to me, I could give a fat rat's ass about all of that, I just want people to understand that not all of us are the picture of health, regardless of circumstance or even outward appearances, and we're scared for good reason.

Some of you need to have a little more compassion I think...Sorry, didn't wanna ruffle feathers, but I felt I needed to say something.

This is why I got so upset yesterday about a post yesterday, calling for football in at the expense of an “unlucky few.”

The fact is, whether you’re elderly, diabetic, have a compromised immune system, or whatever it is...at some point, every one of us will likely be at high risk for something. At that point our tunes will change, and we will see what’s really important. (It’s not football)

"Re-align" conferences for one year. Put schools in geographically similar areas together and let them play each other. Stupid for Missouri to travel to South Carolina to play and not drive to Kansas to play. Big10 schools going to New Jersey, but not play a MAC team?

I feel like if they are going to shorten the season at all they should just cancel it all together. It seriously causes physical pain to say that but how do you determine a playoff if only half the teams played? Do you put an asterisk by whoever wins the NC game this year? Do they really deserve bragging rights?

I say allow the entire schedule to play out with only a mandatory 50% capacity throughout all of college football. Allow home teams to filter in crowd noise and call it a day. Let the chips fall where they may.

I say that knowing that the numbers are tampered with so the truth is no one knows how serious this thing really is. What we DO know is it’s only effecting athletes about as bad as a common head cold.

All this will do is cut the chances of spreading by 50 % (maybe). To me all this will do is prolong the inevitable. This thing is going to be around for a long while. Best we learn to live with it.

I'll be shocked if Football happens. I hope I'm wrong but it is what it is. It's July and cases are sky rocketing. Time is simply not on our side. At least we have the NFL

West Texas Doctor Says Asthma Drug Is 'Silver Bullet' for COVID-19 . "It's an inhaled steroid that doesn't have the side effects of total body steroids but it has the benefits," Dr. Richard Bartlett said in a recent interview with KWES-TV in Odessa. "It's like putting out a fire at the base of the fire. I'm having patients recover so quick."

I'm sure this Doctor who has worked Emergency Rooms for 28 years; will be ignored like the others who have successfully treated Corona. Treatment costs $200; Remdisivir $3,400 (and Remdisivir only works 30% vs 100% with this Dr's treatment) It is more and more obvious that the Elites don't want a cure; it's counter to their agenda. Question for anyone: If a Cure for Cancer was discovered, (and some say it has been ) would it be made available and eliminate all the super expensive Cancer drugs and treatments? Big Pharma would lose Billions. Think they would squash a drug that would hurt them financially? Take your time. IF we don't have Football; we need look no further than the "Experts" WHO, CDC, NIH, FDA, to place the blame. Every other word from them is an "Inaccuracy" .

Last edited:
All I know is this...Without delving deeper than surface level into my medical history, I had an organ transplant in 1993 at the age of 16, and since that time I've taken anti-rejection medication for it...I take what's called Imuran EVERY single day, and I will for the remainder of my life, god willing a very many years...I'm very much "immunocompromised"...I also have two boys ages 14 and 10 who I want to see grow up.

It's honestly not political to me, I could give a fat rat's ass about all of that, I just want people to understand that not all of us are the picture of health, regardless of circumstance or even outward appearances, and we're scared for good reason.

Some of you need to have a little more compassion I think...Sorry, didn't wanna ruffle feathers, but I felt I needed to say something.
I am with you. my immune system has gone to hell because I am 80 years old . If the virus is allowed to go rampant then not many of us old folks are going to last very long. That means that many of you young people's mothers and dads and grandmothers and granddads are at risk. Is watching football for a season worth that much to you? But to play the devils advocate there is the argument that the virus is God's way of thinning out the herd.

There isn’t going to be football. As painful as it is for me to say it, they aren’t going to do it with the numbers skyrocketing.
Yes, this is becoming increasingly likely. The powers that be will not make the call until the last possible moment, but that announcement is what is coming. My guess at the end of this month.

Reactions: 08Vol and CA_Vol
Yes, this is becoming increasingly likely. The powers that be will not make the call until the last possible moment, but that announcement is what is coming. My guess at the end of this month.
I’m hearing more and more about the possibility of pushing it to the Spring. Not sure if the logistics of that in terms of swapping it back to the Fall, but I suppose it could happen.

I am with you. my immune system has gone to hell because I am 80 years old . If the virus is allowed to go rampant then not many of us old folks are going to last very long. That means that many of you young people's mothers and dads and grandmothers and granddads are at risk. Is watching football for a season worth that much to you? But to play the devils advocate there is the argument that the virus is God's way of thinning out the herd.

this isn’t just about football. If it was just about football, it’s an easy call.

it’s the logic that translates into ”if you can’t do “x”, then you can’t do “y” either” for the same reasons.

the economic impact of sports is huge especially on a town such as Gainesville, Fl. But, beyond sports, we’re talking about schools and a bunch of other things that are being drastically effected.

my dad is 77 and is half way to 78 and my mother is 75, a week from 76.

at some point, while yes, the rest of us need to be mindful of the elderly and immuno-compromised, the elderly and immuno-compromised need to be mindful of everybody else.

Reactions: WVU05UT09 and tbh
"Re-align" conferences for one year. Put schools in geographically similar areas together and let them play each other. Stupid for Missouri to travel to South Carolina to play and not drive to Kansas to play. Big10 schools going to New Jersey, but not play a MAC team?

It's not a bad idea at face value, but it's too compicated to pull off on such short notice. You'd have to rework every single school's media rights deal for just this season, which would require way more negotiation than can be managed in less than 50 days.

I’m hearing more and more about the possibility of pushing it to the Spring. Not sure if the logistics of that in terms of swapping it back to the Fall, but I suppose it could happen.
And then come back for a quick turnaround in the fall for the next season. That seems like that would be risking injury and alot wear and tear on the players having a shorter offseason but I guess it’s possible to pull it off.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
this isn’t just about football. If it was just about football, it’s an easy call.

it’s the logic that translates into ”if you can’t do “x”, then you can’t do “y” either” for the same reasons.

the economic impact of sports is huge especially on a town such as Gainesville, Fl. But, beyond sports, we’re talking about schools and a bunch of other things that are being drastically effected.

my dad is 77 and is half way to 78 and my mother is 75, a week from 76.

at some point, while yes, the rest of us need to be mindful of the elderly and immuno-compromised, the elderly and immuno-compromised need to be mindful of everybody else.[
That should have been understood in my post. If the virus spikes again like it did in March and April. the old folks should stay at home. We do go out to the grocers and the doctors but that is it for us. However, I am hoping that the spike we are now seeing is the result of two things. 1. much of the nation is returning to the streets and the contagion is spreading. 2. I believe a great many more tests are being given now and that is also causing the numbers to go up.

Reactions: tbh
I think that's true. I think this is another case of in large part people focused on the exception and not the rule.

90% of people getting tested don't even have it. Of the 3,000,000 people who did test positive, the vast majority of those people were diagnosed and sent home.

And I have anecdotal evidence of the 130,000 people who have died not all being deaths from COVID, several are deaths with COVID. I was really anxious to see how Pat Dye's death was ruled.

Protect the elderly, protect those with immuno-issues. And if that means you only see grandchildren through Facetime, then so be it. But, economic devastation and kids not going to school are not acceptable as part of the solution.

If that makes me a heartless ass, I'm sorry. I don't mean to be.

But, that's my opinion on this whole thing.

I think that's true. I think this is another case of in large part people focused on the exception and not the rule.

90% of people getting tested don't even have it. Of the 3,000,000 people who did test positive, the vast majority of those people were diagnosed and sent home.

And I have anecdotal evidence of the 130,000 people who have died not all being deaths from COVID, several are deaths with COVID. I was really anxious to see how Pat Dye's death was ruled.

Protect the elderly, protect those with immuno-issues. And if that means you only see grandchildren through Facetime, then so be it. But, economic devastation and kids not going to school are not acceptable as part of the solution.

If that makes me a heartless ass, I'm sorry. I don't mean to be.

But, that's my opinion on this whole thing.

I agree, you're 100% spot on. I also liked what you said in a previous post......"imagine a virus so deadly, you have to be tested to know you have it." No football will be devastating to so many school communities and surrounding businesses. If you're sick, stay home. If you're compromised, stay home. If you go to game one weekend, don't go see grandma until you're sure you haven't contracted anything. I mean, if I have the flu, or common cold, or the stomach bug, I don't go and visit with my grandchildren.....or elderly mother.

Maybe I've missed it somewhere in all these discussions, but to me, the real question is what will the players actually be willing to do? They can't be compelled to play. There is no reason I can think of that would make them "essential employees." They all have parents, grandparents, friends, family etc. that would be potentially impacted if they get sick. If it were me, there is no way I would agree to be quarantined (aka imprisoned) for 5 or 6 months just for someone else's profit and entertainment. What happens if the powers that be decide to have a season and the players revolt, who really wins?

Just to be clear, I'm for a football season to played in its entirety. However, I'm just thinking out loud, or maybe out of the box, about options that might make some semblance of a season happen.

What about this scenario? Conference only games, which means every school plays an 8 game schedule. No postseason. Play the games two weeks apart (16 weeks to play 8 games). Eastern division can play the odd weekends, and the west can play even weekends. Gives everybody two weeks to test, recover, etc. whatever needs be done to keep everyone safe and healthy.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
With the case numbers skyrocketing but the death rate is lowering it's either one of two things. The virus is losing it's strength or the numbers are being padded....hmmm.

Or perhaps the treatment methods have improved? But that’s what I’ve read in news reports and we all know all they print is fake stuff so let’s go with your conspiracy theory.

Reactions: 08Vol and ohhbother
Maybe I've missed it somewhere in all these discussions, but to me, the real question is what will the players actually be willing to do? They can't be compelled to play. There is no reason I can think of that would make them "essential employees." They all have parents, grandparents, friends, family etc. that would be potentially impacted if they get sick. If it were me, there is no way I would agree to be quarantined (aka imprisoned) for 5 or 6 months just for someone else's profit and entertainment. What happens if the powers that be decide to have a season and the players revolt, who really wins?

They all think they're going to the NFL. Play, showcase my talent, get paid.

They think about that more than corona

Reactions: Doberman
Yup SEC is gonna follow the rest of the league and play conference games only. Which isn't that bad honestly. This will be a great thing for our freshman.

I feel like if they are going to shorten the season at all they should just cancel it all together. It seriously causes physical pain to say that but how do you determine a playoff if only half the teams played? Do you put an asterisk by whoever wins the NC game this year? Do they really deserve bragging rights?

I say allow the entire schedule to play out with only a mandatory 50% capacity throughout all of college football. Allow home teams to filter in crowd noise and call it a day. Let the chips fall where they may.

I say that knowing that the numbers are tampered with so the truth is no one knows how serious this thing really is. What we DO know is it’s only effecting athletes about as bad as a common head cold.
You can forget about playoffs. They only doing conference only so the schools can still make the money and the networks too.

Reactions: 08Vol
13 game SEC schedule. Top team plays the top team of another Power 5. Let's all break off from the NCAA and make a power 5 league with the 5 conferences sending 1 team each to the playoffs, and a team voted on by all coaches to make it 6 teams
That wouldn't work you would need 3 other teams from non power 5 conference to make it happen for a play off type scenario. Because after the 3 games happen then you have 3 winners and you need 4 winners so they can play each other then the two winners of those games play each other and the winner of that is crowned the best team in Merica.

VN Store

Back