Conference Games Only?

I am wondering how Bowl Season/Playoffs would work or if there would even be one.

And if not then why even risk it?

I do not think you a
I think that's true. I think this is another case of in large part people focused on the exception and not the rule.

90% of people getting tested don't even have it. Of the 3,000,000 people who did test positive, the vast majority of those people were diagnosed and sent home.

And I have anecdotal evidence of the 130,000 people who have died not all being deaths from COVID, several are deaths with COVID. I was really anxious to see how Pat Dye's death was ruled.

Protect the elderly, protect those with immuno-issues. And if that means you only see grandchildren through Facetime, then so be it. But, economic devastation and kids not going to school are not acceptable as part of the solution.

If that makes me a heartless ass, I'm sorry. I don't mean to be.

But, that's my opinion on this whole thing.
I do not think you are a heartless ass. I agree with much of what you say. It is paramount for us at risk to stay home and not expose ourselves. One more year of economic loss to this country can only spell disaster. I can even foresee a deep depression like the 30s. The social unrest would be out of control. There are no easy answers.

Reactions: tbh
I do not think you a

I do not think you are a heartless ass. I agree with much of what you say. It is paramount for us at risk to stay home and not expose ourselves. One more year of economic loss to this country can only spell disaster. I can even foresee a deep depression like the 30s. The social unrest would be out of control. There are no easy answers.
Problem is some see that as a benefit of the shutdown not a drawback.

I just want to point out again, because I don't think anyone breaks it down this way....

If you think you have COVID, there is an extremely high probability that you don't. 90% of those tested don't have it.

If you actually have COVID, the most likely medical treatment you will receive or be given is.....absolutely nothing. That's right, nothing. They send you home and tell you to come back if symptoms (particularly breathing) get worse.

If you have COVID and you actually need medical treatment, there is a very high probability that you make a full recovery.

And if you are a certain age and do not have pre-existing conditions, the likelihood of all those things happening and the end result is death is extremely remote. That's not me. That's science. Everyone can look up the numbers themselves. Of course, we can all play with numbers to make them say what we want. But, it is what it is.

The odds of any of these athletes having any issues that result in death are translucently thin to none. And as such, I will point out that you haven't seen any story about any of these college athletes, MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL, etc., players who have tested positive who are on death's door. Not a one.

Yes, those are the only two options. It couldn’t possibly be that it takes weeks or months to die from this virus. The virus has been spreading like wild fire in AZ, TX, FL, and CA For weeks and over the past 4 days they have all had their highest daily death toll from this virus.

A Broadway actor just died from this virus, he was in the hospital for 95 days before dying.
That is an awful death. A pulmonologist said it turns the lungs to stone and that he has never felt so helpless in a ICU unit.

Reactions: 08Vol
There isn’t going to be football. As painful as it is for me to say it, they aren’t going to do it with the numbers skyrocketing.
I painfully agree -- this conf only stuff is just false hope for the present

Yeah really.. but honestly how is playing a conference game safer than playing a non-conference game? Where is the logic in any of this?
I've never understood the reasoning. The writer who said it was ok for UF to play Mo but not FSU nailed it I think.

Reactions: tbh
While this is a bummer, it seems invietbale at this point the SEC will have no choice but to do this. I believe the SEC and Big 12 are the only 2 conferences that haven't decided this yet. I'm wondering how the schedule will lay out if that's the case? Will we just play the 8 conference games that are already scheduled? Do each team get an additional 2 to make a solid 10 game season? How would that be balanced and how would it be decided who gets who added to their schedule? A 13 game schedule where everybody plays everyone else seems highly unlikely since they're already eliminating games to begin with. Obviously no one knows, but just curious to see the speculation on this if it is indeed what happens.
Only thing I know is if we do 10 Tn will be given LSU and A&M to add to schedule rather than Ark and miss.

Reactions: V0LUNT33R
Yeah really.. but honestly how is playing a conference game safer than playing a non-conference game? Where is the logic in any of this?
I don't think they believe it's safer. It's just easier to control the schedule. The SEC could see a mid-season spike in cases and push the entire schedule out a couple of weeks. Everyone's games would still line up and be playable.

Reactions: 08Vol
This isn’t a policy issue. We shut down the damn country, destroying the economy, and it still wasn’t enough. The virus is going to do its thing and sports are just another casualty.

Quit making it a political issue. It isn’t one.

Haven’t you heard? The human race has complete control over everything that happens on this planet (and off). We just need to be “unified....”

Reactions: CA_Vol
I think everyone will keep their eight SEC games on the schedule for this season. Other conferences will do the same. Season will start in early October, play straight through, and everything will end around the normal time. Atlanta in early December with teams picked as they always are picked.

If you’ve paid attention to the charts for previous hotspots like NY and Europe (Italy, etc.), you will notice that things will start looking completely different in around mid-August (takes about a month at peak levels to start abating). Nothing is a given... But that extra month could give the much needed time to play.

Conference-only play is the last resort. If October is a no-go, I suspect it all will be canceled. I am impressed with Sankey’s approach so far.

Reactions: beamerman
I think if they deem it too risky for Fall football they will postpone until the Spring semester and make a final decision on if they will have a season by the end of January. No reason to just outright cancel the season right now whenever you can take a “wait and see” approach. Just my opinion.

Reactions: preacherwebb
Which part of the stay home order was unconstitutional? People love to make that claim but no one seems to be able to provide any legit details. Every half thought out reason the lockdown violates it has already been ruled on by the Supreme Court.

All the college conferences shut down their tournaments, the NBA, NHL, MLS, and MLB all shut down their seasons. None of those were ordered by the government to shut down. So now you know some businesses that shut down of their own free will.
It takes years to get a case to the point where the Supreme Court will ever consider hearing it. There hasn't been a single case even brought to the court to hear.

Here in North Carolina, Governor King Cooper has lost two cases in the federal system trying to keep churches and bowling alleys closed. He's facing a number of other lawsuits from bars, gyms and other businesses he refuses to allow to reopen.

Last edited:
While this is a bummer, it seems invietbale at this point the SEC will have no choice but to do this. I believe the SEC and Big 12 are the only 2 conferences that haven't decided this yet. I'm wondering how the schedule will lay out if that's the case? Will we just play the 8 conference games that are already scheduled? Do each team get an additional 2 to make a solid 10 game season? How would that be balanced and how would it be decided who gets who added to their schedule? A 13 game schedule where everybody plays everyone else seems highly unlikely since they're already eliminating games to begin with. Obviously no one knows, but just curious to see the speculation on this if it is indeed what happens.
Speculation has been each team play the next two rotating opponents from the plan set up 5 or 6 years ago. Under that plan, UT would get Ole Miss at home and travel to LSU.

Reactions: V0LUNT33R
It takes years to get a case to the point where the Supreme Court will ever consider hearing it. There hasn't been a single case even brought to the court to hear.

Here in North Carolina, Governor King Cooper has lost two cases in the federal system trying to keep churches and bowling alleys closed. He's facing a number of other lawsuits from bars, gyms and other businesses he refuses to allow to reopen.
Here in Kentucky our Dear governor Andy Beshear is 0-4 in court. Most likely to be 0-5 after his mask mandate yesterday.

Here in Kentucky our Dear governor Andy Beshear is 0-4 in court. Most likely to be 0-5 after his mask mandate yesterday.
The gyms here came up with a great strategy to reopen inspite of the lockdown. If you have a note from a doctor that you need to exercise for rehabilitation or any other medical reason, gyms are permitted to allow you in. So a lot of places are allowing people in who say the have a medical reason but then the gyms state because of HIPA and ADA laws, they're not allowed to actually ask to see your doctor note.

I love when people use the system against itself.

Haven’t you heard? The human race has complete control over everything that happens on this planet (and off). We just need to be “unified....”
It’s nuts. Some of these people act as if there were a magic panacea that simply is being ignored. There isn’t!

Reactions: EZE
. Sadly I agree there will be no football this fall we have lost control of this virus

Wrong. People have lost simple common sense. They have let the media convince them that COVID is Ebola. The sheer stupidity that has been on display for months is beyond shocking. Something is going fundamentally wrong with the human gene pool.

With the case numbers skyrocketing but the death rate is lowering it's either one of two things. The virus is losing it's strength or the numbers are being padded....hmmm.

Both. The reporting on this virus has been nitthing short of criminal.

I just want to point out again, because I don't think anyone breaks it down this way....

If you think you have COVID, there is an extremely high probability that you don't. 90% of those tested don't have it.

If you actually have COVID, the most likely medical treatment you will receive or be given is.....absolutely nothing. That's right, nothing. They send you home and tell you to come back if symptoms (particularly breathing) get worse.

If you have COVID and you actually need medical treatment, there is a very high probability that you make a full recovery.

And if you are a certain age and do not have pre-existing conditions, the likelihood of all those things happening and the end result is death is extremely remote. That's not me. That's science. Everyone can look up the numbers themselves. Of course, we can all play with numbers to make them say what we want. But, it is what it is.

The odds of any of these athletes having any issues that result in death are translucently thin to none. And as such, I will point out that you haven't seen any story about any of these college athletes, MLB, NHL, NBA, NFL, etc., players who have tested positive who are on death's door. Not a one.
I agree with you. I've made this point over and over again on this board, what about the people they spread it to? Classmates, teachers, parents, grandparents.

I agree with you. I've made this point over and over again on this board, what about the people they spread it to? Classmates, teachers, parents, grandparents.

Unless those people are very unhealthy, then there is about a 95-97% chance their symptoms will be mild to none. Also about 98% will survive.

All I know is this...Without delving deeper than surface level into my medical history, I had an organ transplant in 1993 at the age of 16, and since that time I've taken anti-rejection medication for it...I take what's called Imuran EVERY single day, and I will for the remainder of my life, god willing a very many years...I'm very much "immunocompromised"...I also have two boys ages 14 and 10 who I want to see grow up.

It's honestly not political to me, I could give a fat rat's ass about all of that, I just want people to understand that not all of us are the picture of health, regardless of circumstance or even outward appearances, and we're scared for good reason.

Some of you need to have a little more compassion I think...Sorry, didn't wanna ruffle feathers, but I felt I needed to say something.
While I agree that not everyone is as low-risk as others, at what point do we just get on with our lives? A vaccine is no guarantee. If we get 5 years down the road and still have no vaccine, are we still going to have to live like we are now? I just think that at some point we'll have to live with this virus, just like with the flu.

Reactions: beamerman

VN Store

Back