Dan Mullen or Greg Schanio? Now Currie's targets

I'm not really sold on Schiano.

He did a good job at Rutgers, but important not to overstate it. All he really did was get New Jersey football talent to stay in New Jersey, rather than go to Penn State, Ohio State, or Michigan. Based on raw talent nearby, Rutgers has historically been one of the most underperforming programs in the nation. Schiano got them to finally not "underperform", but he never really got them to the next level beyond that. It's not necessarily clear to me that Schiano has nearly as much to offer to Tennessee, a school that is already recruiting well. Our issue is that our immense talent isn't being developed or coached properly. Bringing in another guy who can recruit well, but who doesn't have a great track record at developing talent, doesn't seem to solve that.

If we're going the DC route, I'd rather go after Brent Venables than Schiano.

Reactions: 6 people
Mullen finished 2nd in the SECW once, and Schiano finished 2nd in the Big East once. Reaching for the stars!

Reactions: 1 person
Schiano would be a bigger control freak than Jones and more abrasive.

He was a disaster in Tampa Bay and going .500 at Rutgers in the same sorry conference Jones came from isn't exactly a huge achievement.

He is Butch Jones on the defensive side of the ball.

Sounds like your describing Nick Saben after leaving Miami loosing in NFL

Last edited:
Mullen has to be the first choice if those are your two choices. Mullen knows the conference and can recruit the area. He's an offensive guy which is what Tennessee seems to always go for. Frost, Mullen, Campbell would be the three I would focus on if I were Currie. Patterson of course would supersede all those but I doubt we would land him. If going for a defensive guy, get venerables he's been part of three different staffs under hall of fame coaches synder, stoops, and Dabo.

Reactions: 8 people
Schiano has done literally nothing of significance to even be considered for the UT job

Wow.... your very uneducated on football then.

He did such an impressive job at Rutgers that A NFL TEAM HIRED HIM AS HEAD COACH BASED ON THAT!!!!

But he has done nothing to get offered by Tennessee

Oregon & USC had massive interest in him fo HC

But Tennessee needs to look elsewhere????

🙄🙄🙄🙄

Reactions: 5 people
The article contents reeks of BS.

Throw a name out there any name, Schiano, really?

Players hated his military style approach in Tampa, he won’t be popular with recruits. Hard pass for me as we couldn’t get rid of him quick enough here in Tampa. We are in some serious trouble if he even gets an interview.

Reactions: 2 people
Report: Vols AD John Currie met with Jon Gruden as procedural move, 2 other candidates emerge
Looks like Gruden out...

Please no Dan Mullen!!!!!

Take the hard nose successful HC!

Bring on Schanio!!' Please Currie

Mullen would be an excellent hire. What he’s done at lowly Miss State with nothing to sell there has been impressive imo. What could he do with Tennessee’s resources?

Not sure about Schiano, although he is defense-minded and he’s been around Urbs for awhile now, so that can’t hurt. However, in 11 seasons at Rutgers, was 1 game over .500. Also went 4-8 in his 10th season there. Plus, last guy we hired last was a head coach in the Big East....that was no bueno. Schiano is far from a sexy/sure thing hire to say the least.

Gruden never was a legit target, so let’s acknowledge that publicly and move on to the serious candidates.

Reactions: 5 people
Mullen has to be the first choice if those are your two choices. Mullen knows the conference and can recruit the area. He's an offensive guy which is what Tennessee seems to always go for. Frost, Mullen, Campbell would be the three I would focus on if I were Currie. Patterson of course would supersede all those but I doubt we would land him. If going for a defensive guy, get venerables he's been part of three different staffs under hall of fame coaches synder, stoops, and Dabo.

Solid

Mullen would be an excellent hire. What he’s done at lowly Miss State with nothing to sell there has been impressive imo. What could he do with Tennessee’s resources?

Not sure about Schiano, although he is defense-minded and he’s been around Urbs for awhile now, so that can’t hurt. However, in 11 seasons at Rutgers, was 1 game over .500. Also went 4-8 in his 10th season there. Plus, last guy we hired last was a head coach in the Big East....that was no bueno. Schiano is far from a sexy/sure thing hire to say the least.

Gruden never was a legit target, so let’s acknowledge that publicly and move on to the serious candidates.

Here is my thing between these two....

Schanio turned down opportunities to be HC at USC & Oregon Meyer said he has turned down other jobs too...

Mullen can't get interest from Florida or Georgia
And he was OC at Florida for a NC!!!

And they don't want him!!!

I'll take the guy that has turned down good jobs.

Reactions: 1 person
I would rather see Mullen here if it is between him and Schiano. Mullen has done a great job with a previous SEC cellar dweller. maybe he could get us out of the cellar. One thing for certain about Mullen he develops his players and has the right guys playing on the field.

Both solid but not elite. Not what we need to win the SEC, but it's an upgrade.

I understand a .504 win percentage in 11 seasons in the Big East.

That program averaged 3 wins per season for decades before he got there...

It took a few seasons to change the loosing culture got most of his losses those first years!

Wow people it was RUTGERS he WON & WON big once he built it up

And got a NFL HC job from how impressive it was

VN Store

Back