Dan Mullen or Greg Schanio? Now Currie's targets

Players hated his military style approach in Tampa, he won’t be popular with recruits. Hard pass for me as we couldn’t get rid of him quick enough here in Tampa. We are in some serious trouble if he even gets an interview.

Some reason Saben failed at Miami

College coaches

Players that get paid millions you can't yell at like college kids

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee needs a Quarterback Whisperer. Peyton will get the best ones to sign and the Tennessee coaching staff needs to be able to make them NFL ready. Kiffin, Cutcliffe, Mullen, and Gruden have that ability. Leach might even be capable but probably wouldn't mesh well with the establishment... but the Butch scarred fan base would love Leach.

Both of those options suck.

Also, the fact that Currie is interviewing other coaches does NOT mean that Gruden is out of the picture. It just means that Currie isn't a complete fool. He's investigating backup options.

why would you interview other coaches unless you can't get your first choice (if Gruden was even the first choice)...Gruden is out of the picture for sure...that's why he's interviewing other coaches pure and simple...and the clock is ticking...:)

GO VOLS

We need a very good recruiter. He needs to be able to evaluate and improve tallent. Even more so he needs to hire a much better staff than we have seen in a while. Finally he needs to let the staff do their jobs and make the big decisions in crunch time. We have had enough incompetent spineless HC’s

Mullen has the highest win % at MSU since the 1930s.

If he wins the Egg Bowl, he'll have won 9 or more games 4 times. That's a huge accomplishment at that school. We could do a lot worse.

Reactions: 3 people
Tennessee needs a Quarterback Whisperer. Peyton will get the best ones to sign and the Tennessee coaching staff needs to be able to make them NFL ready. Kiffin, Cutcliffe, Mullen, and Gruden have that ability. Leach might even be capable but probably wouldn't mesh well with the establishment... but the Butch scarred fan base would love Leach.

Tennessee has 4 healthy scholarship offensive linemen....

QB not the biggest issue

Should learn a lot about the possibility of Mullen on Friday. The Egg Bowl ends Mississippi State's regular season.

I've learned enough about Dan Mullen.
He is awful against top 25 teams.

Doesn't know how to finish games. And is doing slightly better than Jackie Sherrill did at state....

And a team in Florida who is looking for an offensive minded coach doesn't want him and he won a NC as OC THERE!

Tennessee has 4 healthy scholarship offensive linemen....

QB not the biggest issue

Linemen and WRs will flock to TN if they have exceptional QBs. Peyton left before the Natty, but his influence helped load the roster beyond his 4 years at UT.

Doesn't know how to finish games. And is doing slightly better than Jackie Sherrill did at state....

And a team in Florida who is looking for an offensive minded coach doesn't want him and he won a NC as head coach THERE!
But, can he castrate a bull?

Reactions: 2 people
I know Schanio wouldn't do worse than Mullen.

And I know Mullen can't win championships

So let's give it to the aggressive hard nose hungry to win between the two... Schanio

How do you know Mullen can’t win championships?

Wow.... your very uneducated on football then.

He did such an impressive job at Rutgers that A NFL TEAM HIRED HIM AS HEAD COACH BASED ON THAT!!!!

But he has done nothing to get offered by Tennessee

Oregon & USC had massive interest in him fo HC

But Tennessee needs to look elsewhere????

🙄🙄🙄🙄

Taking a Big East Bottom Dweller to competing, not winning, with Big East Titles is not a landmark achievement.

Schiano was hardly ever a top name. And Tampa Bay is a horribly ran franchise. They took a gamble on him. Not because of him being a top college coach, but because he wanted out of Rutgers and was cheap for Tampa Bay.

Report: Vols AD John Currie met with Jon Gruden as procedural move, 2 other candidates emerge
Looks like Gruden out...

Please no Dan Mullen!!!!!

Take the hard nose successful HC!

Bring on Schanio!!' Please Currie

Please, please, please you people learn how to spell these coaches names. A few days ago an entire thread topic was dedicated to Saben and Shanio. The name is spelled Schiano! Our coaching candidates, not canidates, are not Scutt Furst, Jon Gordon, Dan Mullett, Chip Kelley, Mat Cambell, Gary Peterson, Mike Leech, or Mike Norvall. Some of you still don't know how to spell the name or the quarterback who started the season for Tennessee. Remember DormaNdy?

Neither of these are bad options. I still believe Mullen's name is only getting tossed around on order to get a raise from MSU, but he'd be a good hire. I've come around a bit on Mullen. I don't think we win any/many championships with him, but we'd win 8-10 a year. Not bad.

Schiano? Not sure. I felt like he did a solid job at Rutgers and sitting a few years under Meyer isn't the worst experience a coach can get.

I'd welcome both.

Please, please, please you people learn how to spell these coaches names. A few days ago an entire thread topic was dedicated to Saben and Shanio. The name is spelled Schiano! Our coaching candidates, not canidates, are not Scutt Furst, Jon Gordon, Dan Mullett, Chip Kelley, Mat Cambell, Gary Peterson, Mike Leech, or Mike Norvall. Some of you still don't know how to spell the name or the quarterback who started the season for Tennessee. Remember DormaNdy?

I think this is what's holding our program back

Don't rule out Dan Mullett now.

Reactions: 3 people

Calm down. They're message board posts, not term papers.

And a team in Florida who is looking for an offensive minded coach doesn't want him and he won a NC as OC THERE!

This is so ridiculous. I guess you’re one of those wizards who think it’s just as easy to win at Miss St as it is at Auburn Georgia, LSU, UF, etc.

Jackie Sherrill didn't have Saban on the schedule every year.

Greg Schiano is Butch Jones with NFL experience. If we fired Butch only to end up with Schiano, I would have rather rolled the dice and given Jones another year. He would be a horrendous choice. Go look at his record at Rutgers. I get it was Rutgers, but still, he wasn't that impressive. Plus, it was at one stop. It's not like he did what Patterson did at TCU and made them into a perennial powerhouse that was always in the national spotlight. Instead, he had one or two really great years at Rutgers, followed by several bad to mediocre years. Thanks but no thanks. We hire him and we're looking at another coaching search within 4-5 years.

And is another Cliche Machine. No thx

VN Store

Back