Dana Evans

Why would we be getting in late on Evans--one of the best guards in the country? There was a time when the idea of a top prospect choosing Louisville over us would have been laughable. It should /still/ be laughable--Louisville has won NOTHING. A reflection on where we are now, I'm afraid.

Reactions: 2 people
Why would we be getting in late on Evans--one of the best guards in the country? There was a time when the idea of a top prospect choosing Louisville over us would have been laughable. It should /still/ be laughable--Louisville has won NOTHING. A reflection on where we are now, I'm afraid.

Kyra focused on Chasity, Anastasia and few others intially. Dana was not as well known either before late AAU last year. Reaves made the contact and got her interested. That is her job and she has done it well so far considering we are still in the mix for several elite recruits. Evans was the least likely to come of the remaining guards we are recruiting. Hayes is a top 10 player with the same skill set.

Louisville is a very good program now. New facilities, likeable players coach and consistently top finishes in Big East and now ACC. Stop acting like we are losing players to Holy Cross and Florida Atlantic.

Reactions: 9 people
Kyra focused on Chasity, Anastasia and few others intially. Dana was not as well known either before late AAU last year. Reaves made the contact and got her interested. That is her job and she has done it well so far considering we are still in the mix for several elite recruits. Evans was the least likely to come of the remaining guards we are recruiting. Hayes is a top 10 player with the same skill set.

Louisville is a very good program now. New facilities, likeable players coach and consistently top finishes in Big East and now ACC. Stop acting like we are losing players to Holy Cross and Florida Atlantic.

I totally agree. When will fans learn that our program is at a different state and things have transitioned. A lot of colleges have begin to take their women's program serious. Pat Summitt is no longer walking the sidelines in TBA and things have changed. Just be thankful we as a program is still relevant and is able to be in the running for a lot of Elite recruits.

Reactions: 7 people

that's where I am at ac... You shouldn't even be HAVING to "sell" a recruit on a choice between the UT/LV program and anyone else but the connies.

Louisville?... R U Kidding?? Who's claim to fame in there entire history is a pair of national-runner-up finishes???

A very important season is upcoming.

Reactions: 1 person
We will get our share, and they will be talented players. Go Lady Vols. Well at least we didn't strike out. Shid, already better than last year.

We will get our share, and they will be talented players. Go Lady Vols. Well at least we didn't strike out. Shid, already better than last year.

We have Tea for three more years & Hayes for four more! Evans stayed in her home state to play close to home and so did Hayes . This is a normal progression of recruiting. There are 6 (SIX) guards in Tennessee listed in hoop girls 2018 top 55!!!!! You think we might get some help from them 🤔
If we get top ten point guard every other year ....I would be happy with that👍

Reactions: 4 people
We have Tea for three more years & Hayes for four more! Evans stayed in her home state to play close to home and so did Hayes . This is a normal progression of recruiting. There are 6 (SIX) guards in Tennessee listed in hoop girls 2018 top 55!!!!! You think we might get some help from them 🤔
I don't think that the Lady Vols should be upset by not landing Evans. She would have been a great luxury, but with Hayes already on board and Cooper one year in eligibility before her, it's not a key "loss". However, Evans is not from Kentucky, but rather from Gary, Indiana, which is a suburb of Chicago. If she had chosen Purdue,that would have been staying in state.

Reactions: 3 people
I totally agree. When will fans learn that our program is at a different state and things have transitioned. A lot of colleges have begin to take their women's program serious. Pat Summitt is no longer walking the sidelines in TBA and things have changed. Just be thankful we as a program is still relevant and is able to be in the running for a lot of Elite recruits.

the program is at a different state: that's the point. Be thankful that the program is still relevant? You've got to be kidding....

I don't think that the Lady Vols should be upset by not landing Evans. She would have been a great luxury, but with Hayes already on board and Cooper one year in eligibility before her, it's not a key "loss". However, Evans is not from Kentucky, but rather from Gary, Indiana, which is a suburb of Chicago. If she had chosen Purdue,that would have been staying in state.

Gary, Indiana is not a suburb of Chicago, Illinois. The two cities are not even close in proximity. You might as well said that Milwaukee, Wi is a suburb of Chicago. Same difference.

Just curious why did you say that?

Gary, Indiana is not a suburb of Chicago, Illinois. The two cities are not even close in proximity. You might as well said that Milwaukee, Wi is a suburb of Chicago. Same difference.

The cities are 30 miles apart (LINK). Milwaukee is 90 miles from Chicago.

I mention that because someone posted that Evans stayed in state when she committed to Louisville.

Sorry about the instate comment. I usually run a map quest to see difference of distances for family to travel! Gary is about 4+ hours straight down 65 and Knox is another two plus from there. Just looking at the map....Louiville is at top of Kentucky and Gary at bottom of Indy! Again my mistake?!?
I still think the six guards in TENNESSEE for 2018 will give us ample choices for that class and three of them are 6'!!!

Sorry about the instate comment. I usually run a map quest to see difference of distances for family to travel! Gary is about 4+ hours straight down 65 and Knox is another two plus from there. Just looking at the map....Louiville is at top of Kentucky and Gary at bottom of Indy! Again my mistake?!?
I still think the six guards in TENNESSEE for 2018 will give us ample choices for that class and three of them are 6'!!!
No biggie. You have the distances correct, but Gary is northern Indiana, not southern, so Gary would be at the top! Anyway, Dana would have been a great pick-up, but she is somewhat redundant with Hayes and Cooper. Considering that Tennessee got in late with Evans, the Vols did well to make her final three.

that's where I am at ac... You shouldn't even be HAVING to "sell" a recruit on a choice between the UT/LV program and anyone else but the connies.

Louisville?... R U Kidding?? Who's claim to fame in there entire history is a pair of national-runner-up finishes???

A very important season is upcoming.

Curious why this season is so important?

the program is at a different state: that's the point. Be thankful that the program is still relevant? You've got to be kidding....

Kidding how? We are no where the program we were when use to dominate and pick and choose recruits. Those days are long gone and hopefully we get back to that status in the near future. I say relevant because at least we haven't fell off like some other programs who lost their legendary coach and transitioned. Texas was terrible in there coaches last days and after retirement. They are just now becoming relevant again. USC, Rutgers, UGA, ODU Purdue and I'm sure some others I can't think of right now fell off and have never recovered. We've been to the Elite 8 the last few seasons whereas some programs lost on their home floor in the 2nd round last season. We've also been in the running for some very good recruits on a regular basis. Besides Notre Dame and UConn, what other programs have been amongst the Elite consistently and have won something. Baylor, Ohio State and Louisville have had stacked rosters, but what have they done the last few seasons? I'm not settling because yes we have the resources and support to get back to the top, but I have came to reality to know that the Tennessee era with Pat Summitt as the head coach is totally different in the Holly Warlick era.

Reactions: 8 people

It is a suburb of Chicago. I've hauled freight in and out of there for the last 15 years.

Well, this is probably going to sound very naive, but here is what I want: Well-skilled players, yes, but ones who want badly to wear the orange! Ones who are coachable, and know they still have a lot to learn and are willing to work very hard, not resting on their high school accomplishments. Players that want to be a part of a TEAM, and who have the self-confidence to take a few bumps and then get in there to work even harder. Players who are students and who love attending and being part of a large university, with all it has to offer. Finally, players whose hearts beat to the cadence of Rocky Top!

Reactions: 4 people
I expect Evans will play a lot at Louisville. Some of the other players will transfer or decommit as you can only play five at a time and usually only about 8 get a lot of playing time. I thought Evans might go to Louisville a little closer to home and evidently she didn't care for Purdue.

I would too. I still believe, you can never have too many guards. Dana, was a long shot after Hayes committed tho.

Personally, I think we shud be targeting two to three guards per year, especially top ranked guards, skilled guards.

Yes, I feel better about recruiting oppose to last year. We shall get our share.

I roll wit Holly! :good!:

Possibly. I'm thinking about playing time for everyone. And we already know that Holly doesn't use her substitutions wisely. I'm kind of glad that Evans chose Louisville, now.

With too many guards on the team not everyone is going to be happy with playing time.

Alexa - T'e'a and Anastasia.

Perfect! For now that is. Looking forward to what 2018 has for guards.

Thanks for the reply.

Now, one of those young ladies get hurt, or two get injured during a season at different times. The Lady Vols ain't for everyone... YOu can ever have too many guards, and Holly figured out her substitution pattern once a core of players started producing together.

HOw many top recruits actually go on to become ALL AMericans or pros?'

Ugh Holly Haters, are out!

We can not afford to tell a recruit like Evans to wait on the decision of Westbrook especially if there's no guarantee she's coming. Evans is lightning quick and can get to rim easily. She can also shoot with range. Westbrook can play the 3 while Evans and Hayes play the 1 and 2.

In the Lady Vols system, all guards usually end up playing 1-3, not really worried about size on offense, and 4 if there can bang...

1-3 positions are interechangable in most offenses. Westbrook actually can play 2-4 wit ease.. Evans and Hayes can play all three guard positions, just have to learn the plays/sets. :)

VN Store

Back