Dana Evans

I didn't think Evans was going to sign at Tennessee, especially with Hayes coming here. Louisville is a much more guard oriented offense than Tennessee is and Tennessee is more post oriented. I think in the long run the Hayes recruitment works out much better because of the sisters. I will get much more concerned if Hayes is the only top recruit Tennessee signs. I'm hoping, and I'm sure Holly and staff are as well, that they sign at least two more top prospects

Curious why this season is so important?

Simply,
think about another rendition of last year.
You may have been fully satisfied with it...I think more was expected of that group. I believe many are wanting this program to make decisions like Dana's, ridiculed instead of accepted. For that to happen, we have to be top four.

I like this team this year. 9 players doesn't factor in my expectations for this group,,,, My expectation for a team of this caliber is five losses or less for the year.

I do hope for HW to hit her stride this year and show her coaching to be the level I expect of her. Her success does two things, it is everyone else's success who is tied to this team, be they, fan, player or staff...And...It puts coaches like me in my place.

It is a suburb of Chicago. I've hauled freight in and out of there for the last 15 years.

That's good work hauling freight but I'm sorry that doesn't make Gary, Indiana a suburb of Chicago.

You don't believe me and that's ok. You'll have to do your own research to find out. Have at it.

Google or Wikipedia or go to The City of Chicago website and look for suburbs of the city (Chicagoland area).

By the way Gary is in INDIANA not ILLINOIS. That makes a difference. You'll see....

Reactions: 1 person
That's good work hauling freight but I'm sorry that doesn't make Gary, Indiana a suburb of Chicago.

You don't believe me and that's ok. You'll have to do your own research to find out. Have at it.

Google or Wikipedia or go to The City of Chicago website and look for suburbs of the city (Chicagoland area).

By the way Gary is in INDIANA not ILLINOIS. That makes a difference. You'll see....

Gary is not included in the Chicago Loop (made up of 77 designated community areas) but is often included in descriptions of Chicago Metropolitan Area as well as Chicagoland. In fact there are 5 counties in Indiana and Kenosha County in Wisconsin that are all considered part of the Chicago- Naperville- Joliet, IL-IN-WI area. Most people in Minneapolis - St. Paul - Bloomington Metro Area consider Hudson, WI as part of area or suburb despite it being in another state so I don't think being in Indiana makes a difference. Gary, IN is home to the Gary/Chicago International Airport after all and anybody I've known or met from Chicago certainly considers Gary a suburb or part of the metro area of Chicago. You are certainly okay to believe it is not but doesn't mean it is crazy for anyone else to consider it as a suburb.

Reactions: 2 people
Gary, Indiana is a suburb of Chicago, Illinois. The fact that they are in different states doesn't matter.. that's like saying Jersey City (or most of Northern New Jersey) isn't a suburb of New York City.. or that Greenwich, Connecticut isn't a suburb of NYC.

Major metropolitan areas like NYC, Chicago, LA etc. have suburban/exurban areas that extend for over an hour from their city centers. Commuting patterns aren't exact science but they give you an idea of a city's metro geographic area of influence... people commute into these large cities from an hour or more away.

Not to gloat, but I was a geography (urban planning concentration) double major in college so I have some idea at least of what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Gary is not included in the Chicago Loop (made up of 77 designated community areas) but is often included in descriptions of Chicago Metropolitan Area as well as Chicagoland. In fact there are 5 counties in Indiana and Kenosha County in Wisconsin that are all considered part of the Chicago- Naperville- Joliet, IL-IN-WI area. Most people in Minneapolis - St. Paul - Bloomington Metro Area consider Hudson, WI as part of area or suburb despite it being in another state so I don't think being in Indiana makes a difference. Gary, IN is home to the Gary/Chicago International Airport after all and anybody I've known or met from Chicago certainly considers Gary a suburb or part of the metro area of Chicago. You are certainly okay to believe it is not but doesn't mean it is crazy for anyone else to consider it as a suburb.

Believe what you want. To argue with you on this subject is futile. You win! You may pick up your award at
The City is a Burb
666 Bad Attitude Drive
Basement
Gary, Indiana.

Gary, Indiana is a suburb of Chicago, Illinois. The fact that they are in different states doesn't matter.. that's like saying Jersey City (or most of Northern New Jersey) isn't a suburb of New York City.. or that Greenwich, Connecticut isn't a suburb of NYC.

Major metropolitan areas like NYC, Chicago, LA etc. have suburban/exurban areas that extend for over an hour from their city centers. Commuting patterns aren't exact science but they give you an idea of a city's metro geographic area of influence... people commute into these large cities from an hour or more away.

Not to gloat, but I was a geography (urban planning concentration) double major in college so I have some idea at least of what I'm talking about.

I'm glad you didn't gloat because Gary has less than One hundred thousand residents therefore it can not be a suburb of any major city let alone to Chicago.

I'm glad you didn't gloat because Gary has less than One hundred thousand residents therefore it can not be a suburb of any major city let alone to Chicago.

So Gary, Indiana can't be a suburb of Chicago because it has LESS THAN 100,000 residents?

LOL, sure. You win. We're all convinced.

FYI, population has little bearing on what makes a suburb a "suburb". Suburbs are created (planned or unplanned) by growth patterns in relations to urban centers. Suburbs "radiate" from urban centers. Gary, Indiana is one of hundreds of "cities" and towns that radiate outward from Chicago's city center. If you want to be really specific, Gary is an "industrial suburb" of Chicago, because although it has its own economic base it's not the dominant economic center regionally. Look it up.

Last edited:
If you talk to anyone that lives in that area it is considered a suburb of Chicago because the area is so big and lots of the people work in the Chicago area. Yes it's in Indiana. But what makes it a suburb ofChicago or the fact people consider it a suburb is because without Chicago, Gary would be nothing. So technically it may not be listed as a suburb. But that's just wording.

So Gary, Indiana can't be a suburb of Chicago because it has LESS THAN 100,000 residents?

LOL, sure. You win. We're all convinced.

FYI, population has little bearing on what makes a suburb a "suburb". Suburbs are created (planned or unplanned) by growth patterns in relations to urban centers. Suburbs "radiate" from urban centers. Gary, Indiana is one of hundreds of "cities" and towns that radiate outward from Chicago's city center. If you want to be really specific, Gary is an "industrial suburb" of Chicago, because although it has its own economic base it's not the dominant economic center regionally. Look it up.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. 100,000 residence to make a suburb to a major metropolitan area is not something that I made up.

Don't be lazy. Go educate yourself.

If you talk to anyone that lives in that area it is considered a suburb of Chicago because the area is so big and lots of the people work in the Chicago area. Yes it's in Indiana. But what makes it a suburb ofChicago or the fact people consider it a suburb is because without Chicago, Gary would be nothing. So technically it may not be listed as a suburb. But that's just wording.

If anyone cares for the correct answer.

Google or research. It's a click away...

Is Gary a suburb of Chicago?

Every year. It's an annual event there.

I think UT, UConn and others look on us as "new money" vs. "old money". You guys have been around for years so you're seen as old money. We are more recent on the national scene and are viewed as new money. Invariably the old money looks down their noses at the new money.

Whether it's because we're encroaching on your turf or you're just don't like us taking recruits you used to get, who knows.

However, I don't see why some posters feel like they have to denigrate our program. Yes we've had some transfers, all schools do.

We aspire to being at the same level as UT, UConn, ND, etc. If that scares some of you . . . well we're not going to apologize.

I think UT, UConn and others look on us as "new money" vs. "old money". You guys have been around for years so you're seen as old money. We are more recent on the national scene and are viewed as new money. Invariably the old money looks down their noses at the new money.

Whether it's because we're encroaching on your turf or you're just don't like us taking recruits you used to get, who knows.

However, I don't see why some posters feel like they have to denigrate our program. Yes we've had some transfers, all schools do.

We aspire to being at the same level as UT, UConn, ND, etc. If that scares some of you . . . well we're not going to apologize.

Congrats to Louisville for winning the recruiting battle for Evans. I think some fans, including me, are puzzled as to why Walz continues to over recruit knowing that the scholarship limit is 15. Baylor does it too. I think that UConn has set the bar so high with winning that some other programs think that having loaded rosters will take them to the promise land. In all reality each team will only rotate about 8 maybe 9 players some less than that. Chemistry, coaching and adjusting to the college game are key factors also. It is going to be difficult for Walz to keep all promises and whatever sale pitches he made to these recruits along with keeping 15 players happy. I'm not trying to hate on your program, but let's not act like it's OK to paint this lovey dovey picture to these recruits than the next class comes along and you are going after recruits you know you don't have space for. I get you all knocked off Baylor and the Lady Vols on a magical run that season to make it to the Final Four, but what has Louisville won? Don't take it the wrong way because I'm not a jealous fan. I'm just saying. You are coming off as if you all are about to take over.

It's because your coach and staff (He's from Brenda Frese Cloth) has a tendency of bad mouthing or spreading rumors about the competition in an effort to make their programs look better to recruits and their parents. They will stop at nothing (even after a recruit has verbally committed) to get a player to change their tune and come to their program. They also haven't shown a true desire to make the young ladies better or to stick with what they brought in, its a difference between UConn, ND, UT, Stanford, and Oklahoma and everyone else (imo). When you come to or think about committing to those programs those coaches are honest with you from the beginning of what their expectations are of you and how they see you in their program and what you must do to see time on the floor. They stick by their principles (at least Geno has recently) and don't bug and its up to the recruits to decide if they can accept it or not. In the case of many of the newer programs SC, Louisville, Duke (under McCallie), Maryland, and Baylor (recently after Sophia Malcolm- Young left) they do whatever to get top players there only to run them away for the next shinny piece and that's where you see a lot of the transfers coming from.
Those programs don't recruit to fill needs, they recruit for rankings. Baylor recruited and got two 6'5 or taller post players in 2015 only to go after Cox in 2016, someone isn't going to be happy. Louisville got Durr & Cole in 2015 and then signed 2 guards in 2016, and got Evans and Duvall this year, there isn't enough time for them and someone has to be the odd person out because they also are interested in two of the top 5 point guards next year

Congrats to Louisville for winning the recruiting battle for Evans. I think some fans, including me, are puzzled as to why Walz continues to over recruit knowing that the scholarship limit is 15. Baylor does it too. I think that UConn has set the bar so high with winning that some other programs think that having loaded rosters will take them to the promise land. In all reality each team will only rotate about 8 maybe 9 players some less than that. Chemistry, coaching and adjusting to the college game are key factors also. It is going to be difficult for Walz to keep all promises and whatever sale pitches he made to these recruits along with keeping 15 players happy. I'm not trying to hate on your program, but let's not act like it's OK to paint this lovey dovey picture to these recruits than the next class comes along and you are going after recruits you know you don't have space for. I get you all knocked off Baylor and the Lady Vols on a magical run that season to make it to the Final Four, but what has Louisville won? Don't take it the wrong way because I'm not a jealous fan. I'm just saying. You are coming off as if you all are about to take over.

Well stated! I love it! Couldn't have said it better myself!

Now, one of those young ladies get hurt, or two get injured during a season at different times. The Lady Vols ain't for everyone... YOu can ever have too many guards, and Holly figured out her substitution pattern once a core of players started producing together.

HOw many top recruits actually go on to become ALL AMericans or pros?'

Ugh Holly Haters, are out!

The Holly Haters wear me out. It's like some of them criticize her no matter what and will not let one positive thing be said about her without coming back with a negative. It just makes me root for her all the more. Go Holly! I think I'll just start responding to every Holly Hater post with this.... 😁

Attachments

• IMG_1620.jpg
    IMG_1620.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: 3 people
The Holly Haters wear me out. It's like some of them criticize her no matter what and will not let one positive thing be said about her without coming back with a negative. It just makes me root for her all the more. Go Holly! I think I'll just start responding to every Holly Hater post with this.... 😁

Now we are just asking our coach to get us over the hump please! We know this season will be a tough one but I think we still have the pieces to get it done!

Now we are just asking our coach to get us over the hump please! We know this season will be a tough one but I think we still have the pieces to get it done!

I know and I understand, mlindsay. It just seems some (not you) have a personal dislike for Holly...like they don't want her to succeed. Maybe I'm reading too much into it - I like Holly and it's just my nature to defend. I can only imagine the pressure of following in the footsteps of the great Pat Summitt - who was also her close friend and mentor. It has had to be a tough few years for Holly watching such a horrible disease take down a force like Pat...and to have the pressure of keeping her legacy alive and being criticized at every turn. Then, of course, she has got to be grieving right now. Maybe the loss of Pat will create a spark in all of them and they will surprise us all this season. I sure am rooting for Holly and her Lady Vols. Holly is a good person and the Lady Vols are an outstanding group of young women. Go Lady Vols! 🍊🏀

I know and I understand, mlindsay. It just seems some (not you) have a personal dislike for Holly...like they don't want her to succeed. Maybe I'm reading too much into it - I like Holly and it's just my nature to defend. I can only imagine the pressure of following in the footsteps of the great Pat Summitt - who was also her close friend and mentor. It has had to be a tough few years for Holly watching such a horrible disease take down a force like Pat...and to have the pressure of keeping her legacy alive and being criticized at every turn. Then, of course, she has got to be grieving right now. Maybe the loss of Pat will create a spark in all of them and they will surprise us all this season. I sure am rooting for Holly and her Lady Vols. Holly is a good person and the Lady Vols are an outstanding group of young women. Go Lady Vols! 🍊🏀

There seems to be some who doesn't want her to succeed. There are others of us who have been critical of her (myself included) and that's only because we want whats best for the program but we have also acknowledged when she's perform well and have stated it! I will continue to want her to do great because she is a product of The greatest coach and program of all time (imo)! Go Holly, Go Lady Vols, Reside in Paradise Coach Summitt!

Reactions: 3 people
There seems to be some who doesn't want her to succeed. There are others of us who have been critical of her (myself included) and that's only because we want whats best for the program but we have also acknowledged when she's perform well and have stated it! I will continue to want her to do great because she is a product of The greatest coach and program of all time (imo)! Go Holly, Go Lady Vols, Reside in Paradise Coach Summitt!

I agree - and I understand criticism is naturally going to be part of it when you are in Holly's position in such a storied and revered program that is sacred and beloved to so many. As I said - I was not including you in the group of those who seem to have a personal dislike for Holly and don't want her to succeed. There are one or two who just hammer on her constantly and if someone says something good about her, they respond with a negative spin on whatever that person said. Again - NOT referring to you. 😊 Go Lady Vols!!! 🍊🏀

Reactions: 8 people

I am huge Lady Vols fan, which means I am a huge fan of Holly. She is our leader, and she will have my support 100%. Go Lady Vols...

Hi, Lady Vols fan. :rock:

T_Vol... I hit em with "wuteva"

VN Store

Back