Does Tennessee ever achieve relevance in the SEC East?

Does Tennessee ever become a relevant team in the SEC again?

• No

Votes: 134 45.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 163 55.4%

• Total voters
The defense lost us the Alabama game. I haven’t seen us get absolutely trucked like that since 2012, it was truly shameful. Bama looked like they were running half speed and their RB would still fall forward for 5 yards nearly every run. Our “tackling” looked more like reaching for flags in flag football.

Bama did the same thing to a UGA defense that is loaded with NFL talent. You make it sound like their offense is trash against everyone else besides us. They may end up setting some kind of record.

I guess this depends on your definition of relevant. If you mean win it, eventually but who knows when. If you mean competing for the title, we finished 2nd in 15 and 16, so that is relevant IMO.

Y’all have forgotten what it’s like to have a good quarterback.

In my best Moofasa voice: Remember.....

Eventually when everyone here is dead there will be no fans who remember the glory days and keep shelling out money due to tradition.

When that happens the money trail will dry up and UT will finally be forced to care about winning again.

Until then they wont change anything because the view the fans and John's.

At some point in sure we will win the east again, but whether it's within the next ten years, honestly don't know about it. Most likely no.

Yes.

Tennessee was a 4th and 14 play away from winning the division in 2015.

That's probably why fans are so doubtful. UT was easily the best team in the east that year and still found a way not to win it. And on paper they were the favorite to win and 2016...beat UF and UGA and still found a way to not win it. Lol

Define "relevant". Even Kentucky (and Vandy) I would say are relevant. If they are not relevant, why do we always talk about them?

If you mean will we be in the running for the east championship going into the last regular season game 7 out of 10 years and winning the championship 3 or more times in those 10 years then I will say yes. We are slowly getting the pieces but we need to get a couple difference makers every year or two.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
I’m 64. I voted yes because I’m hopeful. I’d like to see us return to 1990s form but it could easily not happen.

Depends on if certain boosters spend more time in Cleveland and less time in Knoxville

If you assume Georgia/Florida will win it this year then since the division split those schools have won the East 70% of the time. That’s more than picking the right coaches, getting lucky. That suggests something fundamentally advantageous at those schools and it’s my belief it’s demographic. Fast growing states, warm weather, sizable minority populations, and flagship status in the home state.

Those trends show no signs of reversing. It’s why I believe Tennessee needs to move the program or risk becoming a nobody.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
If you assume Georgia/Florida will win it this year then since the division split those schools have won the East 70% of the time. That’s more than picking the right coaches, getting lucky. That suggests something fundamentally advantageous at those schools and it’s my belief it’s demographic. Fast growing states, warm weather, sizable minority populations, and flagship status in the home state.

Those trends show no signs of reversing. It’s why I believe Tennessee needs to move the program or risk becoming a nobody.
TN has better facilities then both UGA and UF. They can still recruit at a high level, the only advantage they have is in state talent. TN will be back, all big time programs go through this

TN has better facilities then both UGA and UF. They can still recruit at a high level, the only advantage they have is in state talent. TN will be back, all big time programs go through this

Facilities are over rated—they get you in the conversation. They don’t seal the deal. If they did we wouldn’t be here.

It all starts with getting and developing a NFL caliber QB. Hopefully Bailey is that guy.

Clemson was mediocre to average for years and years. All it took was the right guy and sticking with the right guy for them to be the powerhouse they are today.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I think Tennessee can get back to where we were.

Heck yes, without a doubt. By the end of 22 our QB problems are a thing of the past. Our Dl and linebackers are going to be high quality. WR will again be a concern to all who play us. Big fast RBs are on the way.GBO

#soon
#staythecourse
#(insertcoachhere)justneedsmoretime

No. I didn't want to believe it, and still don't WANT to, but we are on the Nebraska/Minnesota course. Former powerhouse that got caught in the grist mill at the wrong time and for too long.

I'm sure there are 80 year old Gophers that still think Minnesota is coming back as a prominent power. They aren't. And neither are we.

Largely self-inflicted is the real tragedy.

VN Store

Back