Does Tennessee ever achieve relevance in the SEC East?

Does Tennessee ever become a relevant team in the SEC again?

• No

Votes: 134 45.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 163 55.4%

• Total voters
Yes, but it will probably take a combination of UF and UGA going backwards a bit and UT making a lot more progress than it has. Right now, I think that UGA is the #1 team in the East with UF right on its heels. Then there is quite a drop off to UT, Kentucky, and South Carolina, then a drop to Mizzou, then Vandy.

Kentucky is sort of capped. Absent a flukish recruit at QB or RB, they are about as good as they can be. Mizzou is aimless. South Carolina has no excuse for their lack of any sustained success. UT probably has the most room to get back into form.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Define relevance.
Do you mean relevant, as in, we are good enough to affect the SEC East outcome? Then yes
If you mean relevant, as in, winning the SEC East every third year........no. Not with Pruitt as HFC.

Ever? Certainly. 100% chance. If you can find a bookie who will give you odds, bet your house. Fact is, everything in the world comes back around if you wait long enough. Everything.

Next 100 years? Near-certainty. Bet all your family's cars.

Next 50 years? Very, very likely. Bet one car.

Next 20 years? Saban will retire before then, so that helps. It's a reach to say this is likely, but it is entirely possible. Bet $100, or $1,000 if you're a risk-taker with plenty to spare.

Next 10 years? I'd give this 50/50 odds. Consequently, I wouldn't bet anything on it, but it could certainly happen.

Next 5 years? Before this season, I'd have said this was a 50/50 proposition. Now, I'm less sure that Pruitt has the potential to get us there. And if he can't, then we won't get there in 5. Because the next 2, at least, belong to him.

So if you truly meant "ever", then you should have 100% of VN.com voting "yes". But given our proven track record as a community with a mental horizon that stretches only a few seasons, you'll probably get as many "no" votes as "yes"es.

p.s. By putting "no" ahead of yes (humans almost always put "yes" first, unless they feel strongly the other way), you betray the limitations of your own mental horizon, Tall Guy.

Last edited:
The sun shines on even a dog’s behind. So I vote yes. Question is will they in our lifetime.

I think Fulmer’s hate for Bama is what’s killing the program. So he hires an ex Bama coach, who signs a couple 3 star high school kids from Bama, thinking this will bring down Saban‘s empire. No it ain’t gonna happen. Quit worrying about Bama and concentrate on Tennessee!

VN Store

Back