Does Tennessee ever achieve relevance in the SEC East?

Does Tennessee ever become a relevant team in the SEC again?

• No

Votes: 134 45.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 163 55.4%

• Total voters
NO.

Our fanatical fan base will never allow a coach the time to get there.

Lol so the fan base does the hiring and firing?

The fan base causes Tennessee to lose at home by 27 to Kentucky?

The fan base keeps JG in the game, when down by a ton not allowing someone else to get much needed in game reps?

The fan base caused 2 pick 6’s and another interception?

The fan base is causing all these in game mental mistakes by the team and coaches?

The fan base hasn’t better developed a QB?

The fan base caused Doofy not to have a winning season and then get fired?

The fan base caused Butch to lose every single sec game in a season, and caused him to be fired?

The fan base is making millions off Tennessee and it’s the fan base who isn’t getting it done on the field?

The same fan base that has stood by this program for decades? The one who keeps filling the stands.....buying the orange shirts......the same fan base who has endured countless bad losses, terrible mistakes and yet STIL show up week after week after week.......all while being fed the same crap for years and being told for years “it’s getting better” only to see much of the same......yet the still buy, they still come, they still cheer?

THAT FAN BASE?

You should turn in your Vols card immediately and check in over at Bama!

It’s been so long since Tennessee actually had a good football team, that most fans have forgotten

Yes. It takes a class of young men to say this is where it starts and the next class to pick up where they left off. Unfortunately no class has picked up the momentum for many many years. Eventually something will spark.

Something probably has to change in the upper brass. Otherwise you may as well keep Pruitt. Firing him and hiring another guy that you had to research on google doesn't interest me , shouldn't anyone else either. Unless recruiting tanks may as well stay the course.

Don't think so. Suspect we'll improve to the Miss St. level and that will be our norm. Might luck into a decent coach who can really develop players and have a periodic season or two where we make the big boys in the east sweat a little, but it won't be a consistent thing. We're going to be a 7-8 win program once we find said decent coach. Until then, we'll be fighting vandy for the cellar in the east.

The fanbase offense put points on the board for UK in a losing effort at Neyland in the first quarter.

Relevant in the East. What is that, 2nd or 3rd place? Is that what some are hoping to see and settle for?

Yess, but not if we continue to clamor for a new head coach every 3/4 years . If the Administration listens to the fan base, it will never happen.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
We are way behind Bama. 3 years after Pruitt said he would get 25 to compete. He has another year to have his team.
Lets give him time though. People always think 3 years, I would say 5 or 6 before you get enough players that are mature and developed enough. Whenever you dump the coach you have to start over. The fact is, this isn't the 80's and 90's when it was UT, UF, Bama, Auburn and a bunch of one-offs. Everybody is better because of the money involved from TV. Everybody needs to think back to those days when we lost to Memphis, and barely beat UGA, rarely beat UF, and Kentucky gave us a run most years as well. I still, like most fans think QB play is still the thing that's killing us because it was good QB play that won us all those close games back then. We just haven't found that diamond in the rough and the highly rated ones don't pan out. I wish we'd find out if Bailey is the guy, but Worley was supposed to be a world beater too, and he was only average.

Don't think so. Suspect we'll improve to the Miss St. level and that will be our norm. Might luck into a decent coach who can really develop players and have a periodic season or two where we make the big boys in the east sweat a little, but it won't be a consistent thing. We're going to be a 7-8 win program once we find said decent coach. Until then, we'll be fighting vandy for the cellar in the east.

I strongly disagree. As tired as this statement is going to seem, because it definitely is overused, college football is cyclical and there will eventually be a changing of the guard in terms of dominant teams. Consistently winning 7-8 games a year would imply that Georgia and Florida remain perpetually above Tennessee in the hierarchy, and there's just no way that a program with Tennessee's resources wouldn't be able to capitalize on several consecutive "okay" seasons and shove themselves into that upper echelon.

I don't know what the recipe to reach this level is, though I expect that it's something more along the lines of Texas A&M's approach of hiring a proven head coach as opposed to gambling on high-level coordinators and moderately-successful G5 leaders, but it's unrealistic to think that Georgia, Florida and Clemson (their success is terrible for UT) will remain in the pantheon forever and I'm sure that Tennessee can climb the recruiting rankings and supplant the upper tier of the SEC East once these thorns subside a bit.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
Clemson was mediocre to average for years and years. All it took was the right guy and sticking with the right guy for them to be the powerhouse they are today.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I think Tennessee can get back to where we were.
Yes, but they play in ACC. Notice Clemson got really good, when Miami, VT and FSU went down.

VN Store

Back