Favorite Verne Lundquist Call…

VOL89grad

Saw this thread on SECRANT…

What is your favorite Verne Lundquist SEC football memory?

Been awhile since I posted (I don’t post anywhere else), but since it’s post spring football time, I thought about what mine would be…

Even though this was in the CBJ era, it was certainly amazing for an older VOL like me (e.g. the Dobbs Nail Boot);

“It is Caught! Juan Jennings!”

Go VOLS!

Don’t think we as vol fans have a lot of choices. Feels like our win total with him as announcer is in single digits. Sean McDonough had about as many memorable calls from the 98 season alone than Verne ever had for the vols

Saw this thread on SECRANT…

What is your favorite Verne Lundquist SEC football memory?

Been awhile since I posted (I don’t post anywhere else), but since it’s post spring football time, I thought about what mine would be…

Even though this was in the CBJ era, it was certainly amazing for an older VOL like me (e.g. the Dobbs Nail Boot);

“It is Caught! Juan Jennings!”

Go VOLS!

Didn't notice before, North, the intended receiver had a dawg pulling him back and down. Pass interference. He never would have gotten that ball. Jennngs did what he wasn't told to do, but orange we glad he did!?

Last edited:
Wilhoit's "chance @ redemption" kick in 04. I'm not happy the old school is gone. Ole Verne had a long career of doing basketball and football games. He was the correct choice for the SEC job. Too bad Tennessee was not great at football for a large part of his tenure. We could have had more great calls from him.

Totally unrelated, I also liked Ron Franklin Mike Gottfried and Adrian Karsten on those Saturday night ESPN games back in the day....

I dislike Verne, but the man was amazing compared to Gary.

I wonder if that was the philosophy of CBS? Find someone so bad to sit next to Verne that Lundquist sounded great by comparison.
You had a personal dislike for Verne? Or did you dislike the fact that Tebow gave him a lot of opportunities to heap praise upon him?....

Wilhoit's "chance @ redemption" kick in 04. I'm not happy the old school is gone. Ole Verne had a long career of doing basketball and football games. He was the correct choice for the SEC job. Too bad Tennessee was not great at football for a large part of his tenure. We could have had more great calls from him.

Totally unrelated, I also liked Ron Franklin Mike Gottfried and Adrian Karsten on those Saturday night ESPN games back in the day....
Gottfried was a good one. I remember him calling our games during the Manning years.

You had a personal dislike for Verne? Or did you dislike the fact that Tebow gave him a lot of opportunities to heap praise upon him?....

My dislike for Verne was his general announcing style in general.

Just was not a fan.

I know less than a handful of beans about his personal life.

VN Store

Back