Favorite Verne Lundquist Call…

I loved sitting under his tower on 16. It was dead silence, but I could hear him. Great Master’s memories there.

Saw this thread on SECRANT…

What is your favorite Verne Lundquist SEC football memory?

Been awhile since I posted (I don’t post anywhere else), but since it’s post spring football time, I thought about what mine would be…

Even though this was in the CBJ era, it was certainly amazing for an older VOL like me (e.g. the Dobbs Nail Boot);

“It is Caught! Juan Jennings!”

Go VOLS!

Mine is “I’m retiring “

Reactions: Hoggervol
My favorite part of the punt block is the two Vols absolutely decking the punter and the other UGA player. Probably both get a blindside block or targeting penalty today.
I’d forgotten about that. Me and my buddy hit the rewind button about four times and laughed like hell.

Wilhoit's "chance @ redemption" kick in 04. I'm not happy the old school is gone. Ole Verne had a long career of doing basketball and football games. He was the correct choice for the SEC job. Too bad Tennessee was not great at football for a large part of his tenure. We could have had more great calls from him.

Totally unrelated, I also liked Ron Franklin Mike Gottfried and Adrian Karsten on those Saturday night ESPN games back in the day....
Years ago, I remember those guys were calling a game late in the season and they had some bowl official in the booth, can't remember which one. Anyway, Gottfried just absolutely let him have it, talking about how championships should be decided on the field, the bowl matchups weren't in the best interest of the game or the players, etc. I remember him saying with real disgust, "Well I think it stinks!" and the bowl guy, to his credit, kept his composure and said, "Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, Mike." I always knew Mike and Ron were giving their unvarnished thoughts and opinions. No real point here, other than I just miss those guys and that era, as you said.

I dug Verne in his prime. Certainly one of the better guys to ever do it. But I always wondered who at CBS watched those Saturday SEC games and thought, "Man, I really nailed it hiring Gary. What a talent."

I seem to remember a clip sometimes around 2003-2005 where Smokey was shown howling and Verne randomly quipp e, "Smokey Says No More Turnovers."

He just wasn’t that good. Mostly stumbled and grunted his way through a game. He constantly either got names wrong or mispronounced them, confused over what happened in the game, struggled to keep up. I can’t be the only one that noticed.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
He just wasn’t that good. Mostly stumbled and grunted his way through a game. He constantly either got names wrong or mispronounced them, confused over what happened in the game, struggled to keep up. I can’t be the only one that noticed.
Oh, I quite agree. They kept him on well past his "sell-by" date.

But the worst thing was, every game they came with a prepared script, of how the favored team would be expected to beat down the underdog. I think every network does this to some degree, but the absolute worst was CBS in those 3:30 games. Verne took their money and did whatever they asked him to do.

As we used to say in East Tennessee ... I just aint got no use fer 'im.

Reactions: swampfoxfan

VN Store

Back