Favorite Verne Lundquist Call…

Saw this thread on SECRANT…

What is your favorite Verne Lundquist SEC football memory?

Been awhile since I posted (I don’t post anywhere else), but since it’s post spring football time, I thought about what mine would be…

Even though this was in the CBJ era, it was certainly amazing for an older VOL like me (e.g. the Dobbs Nail Boot);

“It is Caught! Juan Jennings!”

Go VOLS!

My favorite game was Verne's last one!

I thought it was in the 5OT Bama win. But, I rewatched it and it was not the time. But, one time Clausen hit CJ Dayton for a huge pressure situation play. Verne goes "CJ Fayton How Do You Do"?

Does anyone remember the play or game? I thought VL was exceptional in a variety of sports. Fans piled on him as he got old. But, he was classic IMO. He and Sean McDonough are the best at CFB imo.

North is the opposite of South. And that's pole-ity correct.
You a Vols fan and don't know who our players were in that Dobbs Nail Boot game?
I ain't biting. GOOGLE it.

You’re a VOLS fan and you dont know that Marquez North nor any other player named North was on the 2016 roster. I politely asked you a question to clue you in that you had screwed up. Now you can sit in the **** you created and look like a dummy. GOOGLE that.

Reactions: -GiveHim6-
You’re a VOLS fan and you dont know that Marquez North nor any other player named North was on the 2016 roster. I politely asked you a question to clue you in that you had screwed up. Now you can sit in the **** you created and look like a dummy. GOOGLE that.
I GOOGLED it and found your Hurd fillings. Not being a dentist or archaeologist, I'm returning what I found to you. Just being nice. Bing that. :cool:

Tennessee vs Florida 2016 when Florida was losing their composure, Tennessee punts and a Florida player fair catches the punt on his own 1 yard line. Verne was yelling, “What is he thinking!” My favorite by far.

North is the opposite of South. And that's pole-ity correct.
You a Vols fan and don't know who our players were in that Dobbs Nail Boot game?
I ain't biting. GOOGLE it.
The only North in that game was our fans on I-75 North trying to get the heck back to Tennessee after that escape.

The only North in that game was our fans on I-75 North trying to get the heck back to Tennessee after that escape.
OK, but number 18 was in that game too. And he was the intended target of the hail Mart due to his height, strength, and size. But ole Jen-Jen wasn't having any of that.

OK, but number 18 was in that game too. And he was the intended target of the hail Mart due to his height, strength, and size. But ole Jen-Jen wasn't having any of that.
I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure JJ was the intended target

I could be wrong but I’m pretty sure JJ was the intended target
You are wrong. But so am I. #18 was Jason Croom at the time. Somehow I got him mixed up with Marquez North. So I owe GaVol and sonofUT an apology.

Dobbs revealed on The Torchebearers Podcast this week that former Vols wide receiver Josh Malone was supposed to be the target. Tennessee wide receivers coach Zach Azzanni, who is currently the Pittsburgh Steelers' wide receivers coach, called timeout before the play and switched Malone and Jennings.

"You (Jennings) weren't designed to catch the ball," said Dobbs to Jennings during the podcast. "Coach Azzanni called timeout and he ended up switching you and Malone and moving you on the left. He's (Azzanni) like 'Jauan's the jumper, Jauan's gonna make that contested catch'. I still remember your hands grabbing the ball and plucking it out of the sky. Source:
However, though common sense says Dobbs account is more likely to be accurate, one of the other receivers stated at the time that JJ wasn't the intended receiver. That Jason Croom (Not North as I previously claimed) was the target. I can't recall which receiver said this, and scouring the roster and Duckduckgo didn't help. Bottomline North was away west that day, nowhere near south. And on that note, this is me doing penance for GaVol and sonofUT

1713349897490.png

Last edited:
I’m going with “Jalin Meeves Raybin”. Smdh. Ole Verne was excellent at butchering player names.

I dislike Verne, but the man was amazing compared to Gary.

I wonder if that was the philosophy of CBS? Find someone so bad to sit next to Verne that Lundquist sounded great by comparison.

To me, it was the other way around. I'm no fan of Danielson, but with Nessler he was 1000 times better than he was with that bloated egomaniac. Lundquist constantly injected himself and Danielson into broadcasts, whereas a pro like Nessler simply called the game.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back