'18 FL QB Joe Milton (Tennessee commit)

Watched a few of his games. He doesn’t look great but got dealt a s**tty hand in a lot of games. Arm looked very good and his WRs dropped A LOT of passes, but he would also throw into traffic often. He actually goes through his progressions so he’s an upgrade from what we’ve had. Something I noticed is he will throw some high velocity passes.. sometimes too fast and I think that attributed to drops. Fortunately our WRs had JG for a season so they’re probably used to catching those bullets. He’s way bigger than Hooker, but not as mobile. His frame is kinda like Cardale Jones, ex OSU QB. More mobile though. I could honestly see this guy playing TE too. I’d be interested to see what Heupel could develop him into with an offseason of coaching. Def not a plug and play starter but could be very nice with a year of Heupel and Halzle.

FWIW Urban Meyer was absolutely in love with this kid when he talked about him in film breakdowns

Last edited:
Only watch him call Indiana and he had some horrid WTF are you doing moments. At same time Harbaugh for some reason has not been good at developing QBs at Michigan. I think he is confused what he wants to run and adapting to the new game because he was great with QBs at Stanford and SF

Michigan’s version of JG
Not even close. JG only threw to his first read every play. Never made progressions. Only saw that once in the film I watched. JG also never tried to move around until his last year. He was a total statue. Even this guys release looks so much better

Volster1999: Any news on grad transfers?

Callahan: Not much new to report there right now. Tennessee is still involved with Georgia WR transfer Tommy Bush, who's originally from Texas. TCU could become a major factor with Bush, if he gets an offer from the Horned Frogs, but I think the Vols have a legitimate shot at Bush, based on the latest I've heard.

I've heard Tennessee might have some interest in Michigan QB transfer Joe Milton, too. We'll see if anything comes of that, but I wouldn't rule out that the Vols could be a factor with him. The Vols will continue to keep an eye on other guys who are added to the transfer portal over the next couple months, too. There's always another wave of guys who decide to transfer after spring practice.

Not a fan of this but I trust CJH and his QB evaluations, I think this is more of an indictment on the QB’s on the current roster more so of Milton’s ability.

Not a fan of this but I trust CJH and his QB evaluations, I think this is more of an indictment on the QB’s on the current roster more so of Milton’s ability.
This makes 5 on scholarship. 1-2 will transfer right after spring practice.

Not understanding the Milton hate here - looking at a guy who hasn't had the chance to start much in his career, actually barely played is maybe more accurate (4 games in 2019 (backup), 4 games in 2020 (backup), 6 games in 2021 (I think only 3 starts)). He's a guy we recruited out of high school, was a solid four star kid, and was surpassed on the Meatchicken depth chart and is looking for a landing spot. I'm not seeing anything that makes me doubt Coach Hype's evaluation of him, plus he's from Orlando, maybe there's a familiarity with the player or at least his game already.

Fact of the matter is that we're not in a position to evaluate how anyone on the current roster fits into this new coaching scheme. If Coach Hype is sold on Milton's skills and how those relate to his offense and what he's trying to do then he's the best person to decide that, and ultimately the one who has to live with the consequences. So, with all that said. Welcome Joe Milton to the Big Orange!

VN Store

Back