Florida's Secondary

So much bad info here, but the most egregious of which is stating that Hargreaves is the best. Dude has been burnt more than toast in the NFL.

He's been the most productive and prove me wrong. This isn't a talent assessment this is a where are they are now as far as DB's since I was told they are DBU. Learn to read sir

They had another down. They had an opportunity to kick a field goal on a 4th down. They scored on 1st down and it was called back because they lined up wrong.

The major issue in that game is Tennessee went up and down the field at will, but managed to kick field goals all game long

Exactly right. Florida was winning that game with or without the Gaffney play. That play has been revised over the years to seem like it was 4th and goal and but for the call, TN wins. Not at all true, Spurrier was scoring from the 3 yard line with at least two more chances, period.

But let them have their version

Exactly right. Florida was winning that game with or without the Gaffney play. That play has been revised over the years to seem like it was 4th and goal and but for the call, TN wins. Not at all true, Spurrier was scoring from the 3 yard line with at least two more chances, period.

But let them have their version
How bout you **** yourself!?

UF is notorious for PI's and very few are called. This will be a gig issue in this game this weekend. UF seems to always gets the benefit of the doubt and you have a no call. This seems to have started with Spurrier's tenor. The ref's seem to be blind in calling them for it. Anyone else notice it?

Thoughts?
They won't need to interfere on Saturday Night.

He's been the most productive and prove me wrong. This isn't a talent assessment this is a where are they are now as far as DB's since I was told they are DBU. Learn to read sir

Hargreaves has not been the most productive Florida DB in the NFL. That would either be Joe Haden, Keanu Neal, or Janoris Jenkins. All of these guys have been to at least 1 Pro Bowl and have significantly more Int's and tackles than Hargreaves. Even Quinton Dunbar has been a much better NFL player and he was undrafted. Also, Hargreaves was cut before the end of his 3rd season, so that alone tells you how bad he's been.

Hargreaves has largely been a bust considering he was the 11th overall pick.

How bout you **** yourself!?

😂

See. That’s still a sensitive topic, 20+ years later. If the Gaffney play is incomplete, FL likely scores on 3rd or 4th down. Or, they kick the chipshot FG and take it to OT. Point is, FL was in complete control of that game in those moments.

While you tell your grandkids that “UT would have won but for this bad Gaffney call,” Gator fans tell their grandkids “they’re eternally sore over a call that didn’t even really matter because they were losing on the next play, or the next play, or in OT.”

As much as I hate the Gaffney "catch", there was another play on the same end of the field in 2000 that was just as egregious. In the 2nd Q, Florida's Ernest Graham "scored" on a run when his knee clearly touched at the 2 before crossing the goal line. Of course, we'll never know what would have happened afterward had the officials made the correct call, or if replay had been in effect. And yes Gators fans, in 2004 there was a questionable no call PI that gave the Vols an opportunity to get the ball back and kick a winning FG. And no doubt, UF would be very unhappy to lose to Tennessee or anyone the way UT did to the Gators in 2015 and 2017. That just reinforces the point that it seems like strange things happen when Tennessee and Florida play each other.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
This thread is good news for Florida. Last year’s defense was never close enough in coverage to WR’s to commit PI. This year we seem to be at least close enough. I’ll take it.

As much as I hate the Gaffney "catch", there was another play on the same end of the field in 2000 that was just as egregious. In the 2nd Q, Florida's Ernest Graham "scored" on a run when his knee clearly touched at the 2 before crossing the goal line. Of course, we'll never know what would have happened afterward had the officials made the correct call, or if replay had been in effect. And yes Gators fans, in 2004 there was a questionable no call PI that gave the Vols an opportunity to get the ball back and kick a winning FG. And no doubt, UF would be very unhappy to lose to Tennessee or anyone the way UT did to the Gators in 2015 and 2017. That just reinforces the point that it seems like strange things happen when Tennessee and Florida play each other.

There was a phantom “illegal man downfield” or “procedural” penalty or something, to this day nobody can point out the penalty, which cost FL a TD right before the Gaffney catch. If not for that bogus call the Gaffney play never happens.

As I’ve said many times, FL was winning that game, period. But go on with the Gaffney stuff.

Oh, and I haven’t heard much about the Dallas Baker “penalty” that put UT into FG range on one of those years UT won.

I thought Uf's secondary played very well after they settled down vs Bama. The bama WRs werent near as open as last year vs Uf. #1 for bama looks like a future stud thou.

They are very physical and SEC lets DBs of certain schools (ala, Ga, Fla) play that way. The rest of us better "keep your hand to yourself".

I can't say for certain about PI calls specifically, but it doesn't fit what I see with my eyes and isn't backed up by overall penalty data between SEC competition, using cfbstats.com conference data. Since 2016 when Kirby Smart became head coach, in games between SEC opponents (meaning almost always SEC officials, excluding the 2017 NC game) UGA has the highest (worst) net penalty margin (Penalty yards minus opponent penalty yards) among all SEC teams, at + 9.1 ypg. By comparison Alabama is at + 4.3 ypg, UF is at + 3.0 ypg, UT is at -1.3 ypg.

You might say, well UGA commits a lot of penalties, but that's not the reason. Georgia's penalty ypg against SEC foes over those 5 seasons is at 49.6, right in the middle of the pack. However, Georgia's opponents have the lowest penalty ypg by a wide margin, 40.5 ypg vs the 14 team avg of 50.1. And it's not because the data is skewed lower by an outlier, there's been a consistent phenomenon for UGA's SEC opponents to be lightly penalized. Here are the rankings by year with a ranking of 1 being highest avg opp pen ypg and 14 being lowest avg opp pen ypg.

UGA vs SEC Opponent penalty ypg ranking 2016 - 2020

2016, ranked 10th , avg 38.5 ypg
2017, 14th, 36.5 ypg
2018, 14th, 37.3 ypg
2019, 11th, 50.4 ypg
2020, 12th, 40 ypg.

Statisically speaking, it's low probability for UGA's opponents to consistently fall below the median (and mean) in penalty yards, and doesn't support the theory that Georgia is getting a break from SEC officials. As for my subjective eye test, if anything I think pass interference is called more aggressively against UGA by SEC officials than against our opponents.

Last edited:
UF is notorious for PI's and very few are called. This will be a gig issue in this game this weekend. UF seems to always gets the benefit of the doubt and you have a no call. This seems to have started with Spurrier's tenor. The ref's seem to be blind in calling them for it. Anyone else notice it?

Thoughts?
Don't fret.....I will absolutely guarantee you that the refs will play absolutely no role in the outcome of this game.

😂

See. That’s still a sensitive topic, 20+ years later. If the Gaffney play is incomplete, FL likely scores on 3rd or 4th down. Or, they kick the chipshot FG and take it to OT. Point is, FL was in complete control of that game in those moments.

While you tell your grandkids that “UT would have won but for this bad Gaffney call,” Gator fans tell their grandkids “they’re eternally sore over a call that didn’t even really matter because they were losing on the next play, or the next play, or in OT.”
And you need to flock to our board to squawk your opinion…cuz your own drowns you out. Make sure Jaws IV hears that part.

Hargreaves has not been the most productive Florida DB in the NFL. That would either be Joe Haden, Keanu Neal, or Janoris Jenkins. All of these guys have been to at least 1 Pro Bowl and have significantly more Int's and tackles than Hargreaves. Also, Hargreaves was cut before the end of his 3rd season, so that alone tells you how bad he's been.

Hargreaves has largely been a bust considering he was the 11th overall pick.
I may be wrong on him but his career at UF was exceptional and his NFL was good as mentioned the first 3 years but yes he fell off. The point your missing is UF isn't DBU. My point exactly. Hargreaves was the best they had to offer and if it failed to just show UF db's are trash when they see the pro play.. If I'm wrong scold me but i don't see any impact Florida showing easy impact making an impact on any team of the NFL

These mid 2010s games are where I will buy that there was weird stuff going on.

What I will argue however, is that in most of those matchups both teams played like hot garbage. So, “we should of” doesn’t seem to apply when you’re both playing like crap or you’re playing the way you do every week and it’s not outside the norm.

The 2013 and 2014 games should be in a time capsule for how not to play the game

Our 2000 and 2004 games cancel each other out imo.

Next topic.
In 2004 our man slapped your guy after play and then your guy returned, you know how that works quite often. The second guy gets caught but your guy did hit late. We also has missed a chip shot extra point by a kicker that rarely missed in that game and that would have been equally as hard to swallow if we had lost, he was a very good kicker and rarely missed extra points or field goals. In 2000 Gaffney clearly never had the ball. I've seen that 2004 type play go against us many times as well even against you all. I agree it sucks when the second guy gets caught and the first guy doesn't but not as bad as a guy getting a touchdown on a ball he clearly never had. But Tennessee who had outplayed florida pretty much most of the 2000 game could not get off the field on that last Florida drive so I don't blame the call as the total reason for our loss. I hate to blame the refs for any game, usually even when calls our missed the team also has a hand for any loss most all the time. I understand your frustration on that type of call late in the game. I hate to see a bad or missed call late in any good game, GBO!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: CedarHillVol
And you need to flock to our board to squawk your opinion…cuz your own drowns you out. Make sure Jaws IV hears that part.

Actually, you’re flocking to a Gator thread about the Gator secondary. You often flock to Gator threads. You certainly often flock to Jaws’ posts on Gator threads.

Find another flocking thread if you don’t like this one. 😆

I may be wrong on him but his career at UF was exceptional and his NFL was good as mentioned the first 3 years but yes he fell off. The point your missing is UF isn't DBU. My point exactly. Hargreaves was the best they had to offer and if it failed to just show UF db's are trash when they see the pro play.. If I'm wrong scold me but i don't see any impact Florida showing easy impact making an impact on any team of the NFL

He was great at UF, but he has not been a good pro, really at any point. Even his 1st 3 years were still bad. Here's an article highlighting the worst Bucs busts of the last decade, and he makes number 2 on the list. 6 Biggest Tampa Bay Buccaneers Draft Busts of the 2010s

I mean UF has put far more DBs into the league than your list. But overall, there are certainly better schools than them at producing NFL CBs, namely Bama and LSU. But from 2010-2020 they have seen 10 DBs get drafted in the 1st two rounds, which is 1 per year.

I would like to break some news here since this is about Florida’s secondary; UF’s best CB, and maybe the best CB in America is questionable for this game; Kaiir Elam. Lingering soreness “lower extremity.” May play, may not.

Thoughts?

Instead of crying about it, ask yourself, "Why isn't UT adopting the same level of play?"

Regarding PI, the consistency of the call is the real problem.

😂

Nope... Just a plain 'ol "Go F yourself" because... Gator.

VN Store

Back