Former Vol sums it up well

Al Wilson: "I really don't even want to say the names of the two guys who were there between Coach Fulmer and Coach Jones. They don't deserve to have their names mentioned with Tennessee football.

Got to love Big Al. Tells it like it is.

Reactions: 1 person
Former Vol Corey Larkins summed up what I have seen for the past 5 years, well actually up to last year when it began to change.
Corey Larkins: "I just want to see some fight. I've seen our guys for the last few years not only get beat to the ground, but then the other players push up off their chest to go back to the huddle and our guys just got up and walked back to the huddle. I want to see some guys with some fight and defend the program. That mentality came from the guy we had before Coach Jones. Derek Dooley was a loser. He'll always be a loser and he rubbed off on the program and created a losing attitude."
He is spot on. I want to see some players get pis$ed off. I want to see some revenge on the field. I want to see a violent response to a challenge... GO VOLS

The legacy players will have this toughness engrained in their DNA. Failure is not an option.

Jabari Davis: "Tennessee felt like home from the first day I came there. They were real people. Troy Fleming was my host, and he left me. Some girl called Troy and he left me, a five-star recruit, to go to a party. But I already knew I wanted to come there by then so it was all good."

Troy!!! You don't just ditch The J-Train!

GREAT TO READ GERALD RIGGS, JR. has such good memories of his time at UT. He had a lot of talent & promise but also a lot of off field issues during his time. To read him tell how his hair raised on the back of his neck running thru the T raises mine.

And, he's got friends...

rearview_vols_zpseaf784a9.jpg

See post #54 in this thread. 3 likes….C'mon man! :jpshakehead:

GREAT TO READ GERALD RIGGS, JR. has such good memories of his time at UT. He had a lot of talent & promise but also a lot of off field issues during his time. To read him tell how his hair raised on the back of his neck running thru the T raises mine.

You guys have bad memories. GR rushed for 1000 yards in 2004 and led us to an eastern division title. The following year, he and Jason Allen suffered season ending injuries, I believe against Uga. This derailed our chances to repeat as division champs and led to our unfortunate record. Riggs had a nice career as a vol.

That article sorta got to me. It hurts a little to reminisce about how we used to be such a great program and how our grand tradition has been dragged through the mud over the past six to ten years. I really hope Coach Butch can pull the Tennessee tradition out of the mudhole, wash all the grime off of it and put it back in it's rightful place in the SEC.

Wake up squirrel Butch is doing just that.. He's stoking that fire under a sleeping giant..

Talent matters and we loading up

Very true, but for talent to reach and exceed it's potential, there is a matter of heart. I think that is one thing Butch is trying to find in every player he brings in. God, I can't wait for fall.

Al Wilson: "I really don't even want to say the names of the two guys who were there between Coach Fulmer and Coach Jones. They don't deserve to have their names mentioned with Tennessee football.

We shall now refer to this period as the no HC period! It was about what happened anyway!

This speaks volumes about where we are hopefully headed. I'll believe anything Al Wilson has to say about UT Football!

Very true, but for talent to reach and exceed it's potential, there is a matter of heart. I think that is one thing Butch is trying to find in every player he brings in. God, I can't wait for fall.

2015 Defense DL COULD be the best in a decade

You guys have bad memories. GR rushed for 1000 yards in 2004 and led us to an eastern division title. The following year, he and Jason Allen suffered season ending injuries, I believe against Uga. This derailed our chances to repeat as division champs and led to our unfortunate record. Riggs had a nice career as a vol.

One of my best memories of GR, I will never forget this game.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=982VDZVFtcE[/youtube]

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
One of my best memories of GR, I will never forget this game.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=982VDZVFtcE[/youtube]

It's been quiet on the hill far too long. This is Tennessee football! Our return to dominance is only a few Butch slaps away.

See post #54 in this thread. 3 likes….C'mon man! :jpshakehead:

Under no circumstance should Phil Fulmer be in a photo with those two.

BTW, had day surgery last week and had to lay on couch the next day. So pulled up YouTube on the big screen and watched the 2003 Alabama game. 5OTs and what an emotional roller coaster for both teams. 4th and 19!!!

Anyway, I was struck at how important Corey Larkins was in that game. Had 2 or 3 huge plays in the OTs. The guy didn't make a giant name while at UT, but Fulmer trusted him more than the FR Riggs at the end of the game, who iirc had fumbled at UGA in the previous game.

The other play that jogged my memory was the blocked 35-40yd FG at the regulation buzzer by none other than Mondre Dickerson.

UA's fg team sucked, but that one was on perfect trajectory to win it at the buzzer. Game saver against Bama!

I know that guy got a lot of heat for some dumb stuff while here. But that and a couple other good plays by him gave me a lot of respect for what he did.

OK. Nostalgia alert over.

Yep. And when you offer 2nd tier guys scholarship that had no big offers you get guys who were good on bad teams, aka losers. It's not their fault but when you are not used to winning it becomes a habit.

Butch brought in kids who have won state titles repeatedly. Scott comes in this year after winning 3 straight state titles, you're telling me that kid wont be fighting tooth and nail for a RB spot? Those guys create competition and that breeds greatness.

Just a few years away.

Dooley got the best players he could recruit here. He just sucked.

VN Store

Back