Fulmer's Letter

I don’t think anyone personally hates him. It’s more of how the program had fallen and putting the blame on him and who else can you blame with him being the HC? The man is/was a legend, that’s not gonna change.

Sure it slipped a little but Fulmer was a household name and people would come from all over to play for him. I think looking back over the last 10 years should show we took him for granted and we did him wrong. He was 1 year removed from playing in the SECCG and we had a 10 win season. For various reasons we havent had one since.

Reactions: 1 person
I feel waaaay better about supporting Fulmer & CJP than the last three bafoons in Ktown. I know that they will be more successful and bring the wining spirit back to Neyland. They will succeed.

Video skips every time I watched it, can't make it out...."you don't have to have an S on your chest, but you darn sure..something..a T on your helmet"

Someone help me?

Hearing aid batteries made need to be changed....

Sure it slipped a little but Fulmer was a household name and people would come from all over to play for him. I think looking back over the last 10 years should show we took him for granted and we did him wrong. He was 1 year removed from playing in the SECCG and we had a 10 win season. For various reasons we havent had one since.

But for some reason, the hate still continues.

What a difference it makes, having an Athletic Director who has previously been a championship-winning head coach for the university.

Most Athletic Directors are businessmen, because that's what the job largely entails. But they're not necessarily businessmen who have proven successful at the SPECIFIC business of coaching sports. Which is the business ADs are in, of course.

Phil's background gives him an undeniable credibility and authority among the coaches he leads and manages. Credibility our program hasn't enjoyed since when? Doug Dickey maybe?

And that credibility magnifies his ability to lead those coaches, to guide them toward success...toward championships.

I think we have a bright future in Tennessee athletics.

Go Vols!

I agree w/ what you’re saying... another thing to look at, did anyonevin their right mind ever think Hamilton,
Hart or Currie ever had an ounce of athleticism between them?? It helps if your going to direct athletics to actually have some working knowledge of athletics. Dickey & Fulmer both played & coaches before becoming AD, the business side can be picked up by someone who has been in athletics, but the athletics side is difficult to grasp for someone coming from the business world.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree w/ what you’re saying... another thing to look at, did anyonevin their right mind ever think Hamilton,
Hart or Currie ever had an ounce of athleticism between them?? It helps if your going to direct athletics to actually have some working knowledge of athletics. Dickey & Fulmer both played & coaches before becoming AD, the business side can be picked up by someone who has been in athletics, but the athletics side is difficult to grasp for someone coming from the business world.

This really dumb.

This really dumb.

I don't think it is. I think DrTNT's got it right.

The leader should have his roots in the core of the organization's business. If the core is sport, then let him (or her) be a successful coach as a key element of his background.

It certainly wouldn't hurt for him or her to have business and corporate management experience as well, but start with the core of the organization's reason for existing, and surround him with deputies and assistants who can help fill in any blind spots.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the video clip of his letter to John Currie telling him to get out of his office.

Can we not get Phil a pen that works? He had to use two pens to write that letter. Must be budget crunch for Neyland renovations.

Yeah, like extending Holly, one of the worst coaches in the conference.

The move had to be made. You don't extend and the perception of a lame duck coach is given credence. It would be the perfect way to sink recruiting. Fulmer knows this. The price of the buy out is worth the one more year experiment in his mind. It also gives him time to reach out and make a calculated decision with other potential hires. Best case scenario is a switch flips in Holly and the situation handles itself.

Honestly I think Fulmer's restraint and professionalism in this point is admirable.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't think it is. I think DrTNT's got it right.

The leader should have his roots in the core of the organization's business. If the core is sport, then let him (or her) be a successful coach as a key element of his background.

It certainly wouldn't hurt for him or her to have business and corporate management experience as well, but start with the core of the organization's reason for existing, and surround him with deputies and assistants who can help fill in any blind spots.

It is an asinine black/white statement.

College world has been littered with successful ADs that topped out playing sports at some nothing college and never coached anything of note.

Am I the only person who thinks it ironic Fulmer was paid $6M when he was fired as HC, and didn't have to do anything. And now he is being paid $4M to be AD for 4 years and over see the football program. Not angry or happy, just as the world turns. NEVER burn bridges!!!!!!

Not angry or happy, so your post goes, but here we are 10 years past and still looking for a coach to get us back to prominence. Here is a thought, how about we give new coach a chance, once again, to get us there. That is about where we are now. We maybe disappointed once again, but, railing about CPF is getting old.

Not angry or happy, so your post goes, but here we are 10 years past and still looking for a coach to get us back to prominence. Here is a thought, how about we give new coach a chance, once again, to get us there. That is about where we are now. We maybe disappointed once again, but, railing about CPF is getting old.

Yeah cause who knows ....what would we do IF he brought us ANOTHER N.C. ?

It is an asinine black/white statement.

College world has been littered with successful ADs that topped out playing sports at some nothing college and never coached anything of note.

Well Knoxville is littered with three consecutive unsuccessful puppet bean counters and we see where that put us.

Well Knoxville is littered with three consecutive unsuccessful puppet bean counters and we see where that put us.

Who is arguing otherwise? But if that result brings you to the conclusion that only a person with major sports playing and coaching experience can be a good AD, then you have the intellect of a fifth grader.

Who is arguing otherwise? But if that result brings you to the conclusion that only a person with major sports playing and coaching experience can be a good AD, then you have the intellect of a fifth grader.

Sounds like you are?

Reactions: 3 people

Barry Alvarez, Mal Moore and Bill Battle say hi.

And lest we forget, Robert Neyland not only was coach, but Athletic Director at the same time.

Well gee dad...maybe when i grow up I can be as smart as you...
Nope. I am merely agreeing with Dr and JP on the premise that experience in what you are managing is an important concept.
You don't need to agree. Couldn't care less.
But you don't have to be a Richard to everyone on here.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back