Game Thread Lady Vols Softball in the Mary Nutter Classic

Gregg hard grounder past short, Geer full count then strikes out. Ralph calls time talks to Rowland. Rowland 2 quick strikes then fly out back to pitcher who doubles Gregg off first.

Last 2 innings have been missed opportunities.

Arnold hard liner back to her she drops it but throws the runner out. Another hard liner to Rowland at 1st. Knight walks on 4 pitches. 1st bad sequence for Arnold since 1st inning. Karen to circle. Next batter singles to left. Penley flies out to Geer. Inning over. 2 stranded no runs for OU.

Lockman mile high pop fly, short stop stumbled but caught it. Seggern doubles to right-center!

Ralph pinch hitting for McClain. Bearden to bat. Pinch runner Tianna Batts, also.

Why isn't the right handed McSwain hitting?

Bearden strikes out.

Leach 3 balls, strike, foul, foul, foul, walks! 2 on.

Holcomb 2 quick strikes then called 3rd strike. Dang it. Strand 2.

Another missed opportunity. Hope it doesn't hurt us.

Arnold ground out to 3rd, single to center, fly out to left, grounder to short, throwing error on Gregg although Rowland should have dug it out of the dirt. Runners at the corners.

Karen to the circle.

Grounder to short, another error by Gregg, jeez.

1 run in.

Arnold has to do it.

Helluva shoestring catch by Geer! I thought sure it was going to drop!

Final TN 2 OU 1.

Reactions: 2 people
Great win. Could have won more easily,but left a lot of runners on base. Great job by Arnold. Need better hitting in the clutch.

Reactions: 1 person
Seggern came in clutch. Seems like stronger teams(stronger pitching) works well with her bat. OSU 2/3 with a HR and OU 2/3 with game winning runs. Exciting how good these freshmen are looking. Arnold played like a veteran out there, that goes without saying.

What won't show up in the stats or in the live game stream is how OU really heckled Arnold. Nothing bad or out of line, but they were chanting her name loudly in the last two innings. It may have bothered her, no way to know, but she hung in there.

The two bad throws by Gregg: the first one was a hard grounder that I thought Seggern was going to get but she didn't. Gregg went far to her right, snagged the ball cleanly, but the throw was low in the dirt and slightly to Rowland's left. Rowland never got her glove on it. I think she should have.

The very next play was a grounder to Gregg's left, she fielded this one cleanly also but rushed the throw. Rowland had no chance at it.

This team is just mentally different than past teams!!! WOOOOOO 11-0

This may be the key. To go from last season's 9 to 0 shellacking at the hands of OU to this season's gutty win behind a freshman speaks to some mental toughness.

What won't show up in the stats or in the live game stream is how OU really heckled Arnold. Nothing bad or out of line, but they were chanting her name loudly in the last two innings. It may have bothered her, no way to know, but she hung in there.

This is huge, mental game stayed strong all the way through it seemed!

The two bad throws by Gregg: the first one was a hard grounder that I thought Seggern was going to get but she didn't. Gregg went far to her right, snagged the ball cleanly, but the throw was low in the dirt and slightly to Rowland's left. Rowland never got her glove on it. I think she should have.

The very next play was a grounder to Gregg's left, she fielded this one cleanly also but rushed the throw. Rowland had no chance at it.

The first one you described is what I was saying to you a few days ago about Gregg. She will get to balls most SS will not and then the 1st baseman has to make the catch or the error is going to be on Gregg most of the time. The second one as you describe maybe a mental error. Regardless it wont be too many better SSs in the Sec than Gregg

Thanks Jeff for keeping us up on the games.

The first one you described is what I was saying to you a few days ago about Gregg. She will get to balls most SS will not and then the 1st baseman has to make the catch or the error is going to be on Gregg most of the time. The second one as you describe maybe a mental error. Regardless it wont be too many better SSs in the Sec than Gregg

Thanks Jeff for keeping us up on the games.

Did you watch?

You need a pitcher with ice water in her veins and Arnold is that player. She kept coming back throwing strikes and got the big out even after two errors. Still hasn't given up and earned run. We got us a pitcher this season.

Did you watch?

I did not Jeff. I was just going by what you described in your post. I have played SS for more years than I care to admit and at times both in Baseball and Softball a great play is made and the 1,2, or in some cases the 3rd basemen do not come up with a difficult but catchable throw which cause the error being on the throw. If the Gregg or whoever gets to the ball she may get an error that other SSs will not. Just saying!

I'll try to post some updates for the next game. It's getting really cold. Typical desert weather - no humidity, gusty winds, temperatures dropping.

I'll tough it out. 😭

VN Store

Back