Game Thread Lady Vols Softball Women's College World Series

Just don't think she was expecting the throw. Did Aldrete remember there was a runner on third and two strikes on the batter?

Reactions: 1 person
Poor defensive inning by our ladies. Why make that throw with someone on 3rd? Give me the base especially when you have 2 outs!

You have to score a run to win a game. So, no team deserves to win if they can't score.

That said, hitting hasn't been this team's weakness.

Vols have won despite hitting poorly for about the last month. Hit very well against lsu in the sec tourney but otherwise the hitting in the SEC tourney was meh. Then it was bad against fsu--amazing that we beat them twice, really. Gregg won at least three big games for us with late-game hits, but otherwise we've been scuffling. Our best hitter, Aldrete, has been in a notable slump--no hits in three games in super-regional, no hits today. She needs to break out--and, like, now. Our best power hitter, and the player who carried in the first half of the season, has completely lost her mojo at the plate and has been benched. Without our big sophomores driving in runs, it's been a struggle.

On the pitching side, we've also been hurt by the fact that the coaches basically have stopped pitching Aucoin because of her ongoing control struggles. As a result, Gaffin has had to carry a huge load. There was no way we were going to keep scratching out 2-1 wins in the championship series. We've still got time to rally today--but not much!

Can't believe how dominant Haeger has become. Never would have thought it based on her first three years.

When you come to WCWS you better be ready to compete in all phases of the game.

Four errors and one hit for the Vols--good grief.

Coaches should talk to the umpires about florida players getting hit by pitches so much--FAR more than any team in the country. Coincidence? I think not.

We've made bad decisions in the field no doubt but credit Florida, they are a complete team and their base running created many of those errors.

Pressure packed softball at its best.

Reactions: 1 person
We should probably root for Auburn in the next game if we want to hang around a while. We've had very little success against them this year--would rather play LSU.

Four errors and one hit for the Vols--good grief.

Coaches should talk to the umpires about florida players getting hit by pitches so much--FAR more than any team in the country. Coincidence? I think not.

Every one of today's hit batters were inside pitches. Not a single player leaned in. There's no rule that says you have to get out of the way. They crowd the plate and get hit. That's it.

Overstreet is our other catcher, but why pull Aldrete? She is an excellent catcher. Just wasn't her day.

Every one of today's hit batters were inside pitches. Not a single player leaned in. There's no rule that says you have to get out of the way. They crowd the plate and get hit. That's it.

Just part of the game. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't change some rules in this regard during the off season. I saw an awful lot of teams getting on base with hits to the elbow pad. My guess is the elbow pads will not be allowed. I don't imagine there will be many players that would be welling to "lean into" a pitch without that pad.

Just part of the game. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't change some rules in this regard during the off season. I saw an awful lot of teams getting on base with hits to the elbow pad. My guess is the elbow pads will not be allowed. I don't imagine there will be many players that would be welling to "lean into" a pitch without that pad.

I saw zero leaning in today, which is probably what the original poster was griping about. That's the thing. The batter does not have to move out of the way. Every single hit batter today, on both sides, were on pitches that ran in and the batters didn't move. Perfectly legal.

I saw zero leaning in today, which is probably what the original poster was griping about. That's the thing. The batter does not have to move out of the way. Every single hit batter today, on both sides, were on pitches that ran in and the batters didn't move. Perfectly legal.

That's what I was saying, perfectly legal. But there have been an awful of batters hit this year, on the elbow and I believe it's because players are allowed to wear that elbow protector. If you have padding on, why try to get out of the way, because being hit isn't going to hurt. It takes another tool away from the pitcher and really allows the batter to crowd the plate.

Of course, it also increases the box score and the perceived "excitement of scoring". That seems to be the trend now in sports, so they might leave it alone. I personally don't like it.

VN Store

Back