Game Thread Lady Vols vs Albany

We are going to struggle unless we find some players who can hit outside shots consistently, and unless we cut down on our turnovers, which, like weak shooting, has been a longstanding problem. The Vols will face a lot of zone this year to slow down our inside game and because our opponents know we don't shoot well. Elzy was asked why a lot of mid-major teams are difficult opponents. The answer is very simple: a lot of them shoot the three well, and when your opponent is making threes and you are making twos or turning the ball over, games can get close.

Reactions: 1 person
Last game, in the 1st quarter, we looked like world beaters. I think the wholesale subbing broke the team's rhythm and it was impossible to get it back. The team was loose but yet in control. The wholesale subbing took the wind out of our sails. I watched Notre Dame play Valpo and Muffy did not pull all of her starters until the 4th quarter when they had a 40 point lead. The starters played the entire 1st quarter and most of the 2nd quarter.

We are a top four team with top four talent, the tale of the tape is how we play and organize that talent.

I looked up Albany's statistics thus far this year. In 4 games, they're only shooting 21% as a team from the 3 pt line (9 of 42). They have 2 guards averaging 20+ ppg tho so I'd assume they're really good at dribble drives which is something we struggle to defend as well. Hopefully we'll be up for the challenge.

Te'a Cooper wil hit some 3, she can shoot the ball, so glad we have her. Diamond DeShields can not play a lot of minutes just yet hard to play with Shin Splints. The last two games I said Tennessee would win by 20, I wil stick with it till I get it righr. Tennessee 83 to 63

Te'a Cooper wil hit some 3, she can shoot the ball, so glad we have her. Diamond DeShields can not play a lot of minutes just yet hard to play with Shin Splints. The last two games I said Tennessee would win by 20, I wil stick with it till I get it righr. Tennessee 83 to 63

Keep the faith, this team is capable of beating their past opponents this year by 20 plus. I really believe it or would not say it. I think in a lot of ways this commitment to an inside offense messes with their heads. I have seen too many of our players look like they want to shoot but instead try to throw it inside. We need to set more picks and encourage our players to take more mid range shots. Especially when teams double down on Graves and Russell. I think that the inside game should be used as an option and not as the main option. When the inside game is shut down, we then have to go to an option that makes the players seem like fish out of water. We seldom use the dribble drive to stress the inside defense. We have several players, like Te'a who can place a lot of pressure on a team's defense in the paint.

Last edited:
Te'a will miss more threes than she will make. She's not a dependent or consistent threat beyond the arc. Her career average coming out of high school was around 34%.

How many people shoot over 50% from 3pt range?

If you read my post I was stating facts she did shoot below 35% her entire high school career. That's one of the areas she's struggled with. So it's safe to say the 3 is not her shot she's better from inside the arc.

Hopefully we can get the three point percentage up to 33 percent right now were shooting 23 percent as a team.

I can't help but wonder if Holly has considered asking Rick Barnes to sit in on a couple of practices so she could pick his brain and get some suggestions on what might remedy the Lady Vols shooting woes and offensive sets? His basketball IQ has greatly impressed me, and he is doing things to improve the men's team that I didn't think could be accomplished in such a short span of time. He is a valuable resource very worthy of being tapped into.

Reactions: 2 people
Just in case gule is still in the hospital, let me submit this:

Albany 84 UT 82

Get well, gule. Missing you and thinking about you, partner.

I hope that all is well gule,I didn't know you are in the hospital,let us know how you are doing,when you can

Scouting report on Tennessee pack it in the lane with a zone make them hit the outside shot.
The scouting report on Albany run them off the three point line make them take it to the basket.
We'll see if we can stop their 3 point game today.

We are still trying to pound it inside at all costs. That is where almost all of our turnovers are coming from.

And Jones should not be allowed to dribble the ball.

The fact that Holly want play Diamond and Cooper together except in the fourth quarter in mind boggling.

Why do Reynolds and Jones get so much PT? I mean, I know what Holly sees in Jones, but I am mystified why Reynolds gets 30 minutes a game.

Why do Reynolds and Jones get so much PT? I mean, I know what Holly sees in Jones, but I am mystified why Reynolds gets 30 minutes a game.

I'm assuming because Holly loves the way Reynolds pushes the ball and her size at the guard spot. Jones because of her defense mainly. Those are the only reasons I could see why Holly plays them so much.

VN Store

Back