Gary Danielson on Finebaum

Funny bc Danielson witnessed the best Dobbs Performance of the year vs florida.

I agree alot lies at qb will Grier doing well throwing ball. Coker at bama. Kid at mizzou. List goes on. Our players are on ground or diving or over their head. Those are all facts

You guys had to use walk ons on the O line to have a Spring game and put together an offensive line that more than held their own against UT and Ole Miss in 5 months.

Our illustrious brain trust can't cobble together a solid offensive line in 2 plus seasons now.

It is clear to most that there is something going on beyond lack of talent and inexperience.

I agree there's something going on. We should see much more improvement on the oline. It starts at the oline and has spread to the wr, and the qb positions. The entire offense, outside the running game, has regressed. The offensive scheme is garbage. I'm willing to bet, jones gets one more year, but is forced to hire a new OC and DC.

"Tennessee's performance is very disappointing. The problem is at quarterback and the fact that they play tight and are coached tight."

TIFWIW

Spurrier used to say something very similar about the Fulmer coached Vols when we would play Florida. It seems to flow downhill from the HC's attitude. We would get all geeked up because we really wanted to win against Florida, but Florida was just having a good time.

I actually think we start games loose and then get tight when we go into lead-protection mode. If we would just keep the pedal down, we'd be better off. Hell, it's only one of the General's freaking maxims. Pour on more steam.

How this escapes the Fulmers and the Joneses of the world is beyond me. Just follow the damn maxims.

Reactions: 1 person
Teams are adjusting to us and making us one-dimensional....it's just that simple. They are crowding the line of scrimmage and playing good gap control to stop the run and daring us to beat them passing.

And--we think that we can counter that approach by running wide and throwing all of those quick screens to the SHORT side of the field...we do have some intermittent success--but no consistency!

And, when they get us into 3rd and long--they bring the house and force Dobbs to make a quick decision and he fails. But his failures are NOT ENTIRELY on him...

WE are getting OUT-COACHED by this approach because we NEVER adjust and make them pay for it. I really thought that DeBord would bring the experience and ability to adjust our offense but he hasn't! Bajakian sure as thunder didn't know how to get it done...

I will keep saying it again and again.... We do need some packages with Dobbs under center and Hurd running the ball on some counter gaps and traps...Hurd is a BEAST who is NOT being utilized to his best abilities....I would also love to see Hurd being able to run the toss sweep with the pulling guards and pick his hole to either take it to the sideline or cut it back against the grain and just punish some people.

And, that would open up a passing game that Dobbs could excel in--with bootlegs, and pass--run option plays out on the perimeter and some TE crossing and seam patterns.

Even Manning was looking pretty bad in Kubiak's offensive system--until they allowed him to make his own adjustments within the system to tweak it to suit his talents and abilities.

Dobbs ain't no Manning--but both Jones and DeBord need to adjust our offense to what he does best--and they haven't demonstrated the ability to get that done consistently.

Ultimately--Dobbs ain't the best guy out there--but he's good enough to lead us to be 5-0 right now with even a little bit of SEC caliber coaching!

GO VOLS! :salute:

They need to allow Dobbs to throw more play action, roll out of the pocket more, and call plays that they know Dobbs is comfortable with.

Dude, the revisionism here is unreal.

Florida's two starting tackles are a redshirt freshman and a transfer from Fordham. Their guards are a senior (the only experienced player) with a bum shoulder that no one is sure will be able to last the year. The other guard is a former defensive lineman that was moved to offense last season for depth that didn't sniff the field and no one expected to play. Except for the fact that he was one of a few guys that actually returned from last season. The center is a guy that no one thought would play unless hell froze over except the whole problem of no one coming back but a handful of guys.

Then, the other players who play prominently, rotating in and out, are true freshman.

Then add a redshirt freshman QB, a tight end transfer who missed last season, a true freshman WR, and true sophomore WR.

The only two proven commodities were juniors Demarcus Robinson and Kelvin Taylor. And they didn't exactly put the fear of God in anyone.

And to top it all off.....They had to learn a new offensive system.

Florida was picked 5th in the SEC East for a reason.

Can't have a bunch of revisionism afterward. No one argued Florida was underrated. No one. People were picking Kentucky to beat the Gators.

You speak the truth...NO ONE was expecting the Gators to do anything....and I did pick them to lose to Kentucky and to Ole Sis.....

And--Kentucky did play them tough and had some opportunities early to get it done but didn't...even if Fla threw an INT in the end zone...

Without Dobbs' fumble deep in our own territory when it was 20-7--you guys were practically dead in the water. And I think even after that fumble--you guys had to convert a 4th down play and ended up scoring a TD instead of settling for a field goal.

Having said all of that--McElwain just plain and simple is getting it DONE in the Xs & Os department and should win SEC Coach of the Year just based on what he has led that team to do right now! He just flat out out-coached our ENTIRE STAFF!!!

Ultimately--Fla's season PROVES beyond ANY SHADOW OF A DOUBT that it ain't just the Jimmys and the Joes that get it done--there has to be SOMEONE coaching who knows his head from his axx.....

Reactions: 2 people
I'm nowhere near a Butch supporter, but if Dobbs is the guy you're going to keep trotting out there, until he proves he can throw, I dunno why play action, rolling out, etc is going to help. When he rolls out, his passes are even more off the mark.

Reactions: 3 people
Not a fan of the Gary-n-Verne show, but Gary was telling it true today. Everything he said was spot-on-- and that had to be a first.

He was right,i don't know what's going on with Dobbs.The last pass against Arkansas was terrible and had no chance.It's like he threw and said well I least I tried.On fourth and 13 we need 14 not a touchdown throw that has no chance.Play to win.

It all starts at the top. A smart coach would bench him and try rocket arm dormady

I agree there's something going on. We should see much more improvement on the oline. It starts at the oline and has spread to the wr, and the qb positions. The entire offense, outside the running game, has regressed. The offensive scheme is garbage. I'm willing to bet, jones gets one more year, but is forced to hire a new OC and DC.

I dunno but you look across college football and see plenty of teams like Florida not using the youth and experience crutch.

After two plus seasons of seeing the same mistakes by the same players on that line, common sense dictates at least looking at the coaching staff.

I think Jones is so obstinate about his offense and way of doing things though that we will be hard pressed to see any staffing changes.

They need to allow Dobbs to throw more play action, roll out of the pocket more, and call plays that they know Dobbs is comfortable with.

This.....they never roll dobbs out, or run a lot of playaction. The bland playcalling shows very badly. I can't stand seeing dobbs set back in the pocket, it's clear he doesn't trust the oline. I wouldn't either. Also the offense is successful when they use the read option, and use it correctly. it opens up so many other options when it's working.

As long as Dobbs is the quarterback we will have problems on offense. He simply can not throw past 5 yards. Though I will say his receivers don't help him much.

This.....they never roll dobbs out, or run a lot of playaction. The bland playcalling shows very badly. I can't stand seeing dobbs set back in the pocket, it's clear he doesn't trust the oline. I wouldn't either. Also the offense is successful when they use the read option, and use it correctly. it opens up so many other options when it's working.

And if they are going to keep Dobbs in the pocket they need to fake the QB dive every so often.

He is everybit as good as tebow and newton. Jones doesn't know how to use him.

Not even close. Cam is a waaaaaaay better passer and Tebow was impossible to stop in college. Dobbs is a slightly above average runner and a horrible..horrible passer. I can throw a better ball than dobbs. I mean that. Many highschool qbs are far better passers than him. It's sad. He's a good kid and I like him. He should be a receiver.

Josh Dobbs has a better recruiting offer list then Tebow. That says a lot about what other coaches saw in him.
I hate tebow but he is one of the best college qbs ever. You are greatly confused if you think Dobbs is anywhere close. Tebow used to run over linebackers and hold his own with defensive ends. Dobbs isn't even close. I really wish he was.

The loss of Riley Ferguson was key. The departing Srs of two years ago raved about the guy. Too bad he was a head case!

Dobbs has not been very good this year. To put this all on him though is pretty short sided. Our defense is ranked damn near dead last in the league.

Absolute bull****. Look at who Florida is putting on the field and who we are putting on the field.... They are fielding... What rotating one or two true freshmen in special plays... Give me. A break. Their two and three deep is pretty young... That's why they are two and three deep. Regardless they are putting a lot more experience on the field. I'll tell you something else... You don't just step on the field and expect wins I don't care WHO you are. You EARN them.

Your post is utterly incoherent. Basically full of nothing,...no evidence, no substance. Are you arguing with me or against me when you say "their two and three deep is pretty young.... That's why they are two and three deep"... Wth does that mean?

Rather than just yelling "BS!", why don't you actually tell me who Florida is putting on the field?? Here, let me help you......

They have 19 freshmen and sophs in the 2deep....how many do we have? And don't just copy and paste all the freshmen and sophs in our roster for the 28th time.

BTW, they actually have more freshmen and sophs on their roster than we do. For crying out loud, they had to use multiple walk-on OLs just so they could have a spring game earlier this year.....meanwhile, we have multiple upperclassmen OLs that are, shall we say, "underachieving".

May I also remind you, that on the game winning play vs Tennessee 2 weeks ago, Florida had a redshirt QB, who was protected by 3 true freshmen OL, throw a TD pass to a true freshman WR.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back