Guarantano with...

From what I have seen of JD at this point, he will be a major down grade at QB from Dobbs. He will need to be much improved just to win the starting job.

Reactions: 1 person
From what I have seen of JD at this point, he will be a major down grade at QB from Dobbs. He will need to be much improved just to win the starting job.

QD was miles ahead of Dobbs throwing the ball the moment he stepped on campus.

JG and QD look great to me and I for one cant wait to see this great QB battle take place! and who knows SJ may pull off the big upset! May the best man win!!!!!!!! :popcorn: just keep them away from Johnny Football!!!! :twocents:

Go watch the game when he gets in and you can see it yourself.

If you're confident you should be able to tell me. So explain what you mean, and also how you know the reads of the play? I study film of other opponents and the one thing everyone knows, unless you get a tell, you do not know what the reads are unless he goes through the whole progression of reads...

Most notable was the Outback Bowl. His reads were wrong and his footwork was poor. He has show little to get excited about when he faces real competition. He has along way to go to become a top notch starting SEC QB.

You are dead wrong here.

https://youtu.be/UKz_bLFxeaA

Theres the game. QD comes in around the 1:42 mark.

First of all, TN is trying to just run the clock out. With the second team offense. Keep in mind our starting OL wasnt very good and hes playing with the backups.

That being said his first drive was a little shakey but I imagine that would be normal. Not to mention no one is blocking and hes getting lit up nearly every play.

His second drive he made a ridiculous throw on 3rd down and followed it up with a really nice throw on the run over the middle for what should have been a TD.

After that drive it was done. NW drove the field and Berry had the TD with 35 seconds left.

There's nothing that happened that makes me think he wont be successful here. Even the announcers were gawking over him.

You are dead wrong here.

https://youtu.be/UKz_bLFxeaA

Theres the game. QD comes in around the 1:42 mark.

First of all, TN is trying to just run the clock out. With the second team offense. Keep in mind our starting OL wasnt very good and hes playing with the backups.

That being said his first drive was a little shakey but I imagine that would be normal. Not to mention no one is blocking and hes getting lit up nearly every play.

His second drive he made a ridiculous throw on 3rd down and followed it up with a really nice throw on the run over the middle for what should have been a TD.

After that drive it was done. NW drove the field and Berry had the TD with 35 seconds left.

There's nothing that happened that makes me think he wont be successful here. Even the announcers were gawking over him.

Ha ha, I wasn't impressed, he holds the ball too long and throws into coverage. He will be a huge down grade from Dobbs.

If he wins the starting job next year, I hope he is much improved because if the Vols have to count on him to win it could be a very long season.

Yea that is why he was worse in games in easier situations than Dobbs faced. That is also why he was worse in practice and never challenged Dobbs for the job. :ermm:

Hahahaha what a joke. QD rarely got to play. The only reason QD didnt start is because the OL was so bad that only a QB like Dobbs could have succeeded. I love Dobbs but QD has the better throwing mechanics imo. His deep pass in the WC game I think, was one of the best passes we have seen at UT since Bray. He did that with very little actual game experience.

He never challenged Dobbs for the starting job? Please provide your irrefutable proof of that coach. You and some others just totally crap on QD anytime anyone gives their opinion about him possibly being better than Dobbs. Fact is, we really dont know for sure. We shall see.

Obviously Whitfield values his former pupil and he's part of the environment. Manziel messed up HIS OWN career and his presence serves as a pretty good lesson on what not to do.

Reactions: 2 people
Most notable was the Outback Bowl. His reads were wrong and his footwork was poor. He has show little to get excited about when he faces real competition. He has along way to go to become a top notch starting SEC QB.

The bowl game after the 2015 season? That's it?

You said "In the the few games that QD has played in he seems to mostly struggle". Even if we give you he didn't look great that day, during his 10 plays, including where he led the team to its last TD, your statement is still wrong imo.

In the only 2 games (2015 vs W. Carolina & 2016 vs TN Tech) where he's be given the opportunity to play a little bit, to do much of anything, he's looked really good throwing the football....15-21, 202 tds, 1 TD, 168 qb rating.

Last edited:
The bowl game after the 2015 season? That's it?

You said "In the the few games that QD has played in he seems to mostly struggle". Even if we give you he didn't look great that day, during his 10 plays, including where he led the team to its last TD, your statement is still wrong imo.

In the only 2 games (2015 vs W. Carolina & 2016 vs TN Tech) where he's be given the opportunity to play a little bit, to do much of anything, he's looked really good throwing the football....15-21, 202 tds, 1 TD, 168 qb rating.

I use the Outback Bowl as it was against a Power 5 team.

W. Carolina and Tennessee Tech? Are you serious? UT plays in the SEC not the FCS. Those two teams barely have enough talent to field a junior varsity SEC football team between the two of them. Thus, his mediocre stats against them are enough for one to be concerned. Against those two subpar teams, he should have a much higher completion percentage; therefore, I feel that he mostly struggled in those games too.

I haven't seen anything from him in any of his games including the Spring games that makes me think that UT can win with him in the SEC. On the other, in Dobbs first Spring Game, I immediately saw that he had the talent to be a SEC QB that could win games for UT.

Last edited:

W. Carolina and Tennessee Tech? Are you serious? UT plays in the SEC not the FCS. Those two teams barely have enough talent to field a junior varsity SEC football team between the two of them. Thus, his mediocre stats against them are enough for one to be concerned. Against those two subpar teams, he should have a much higher completion percentage; therefore, I feel that he mostly struggled in those games too.

I haven't seen anything from him in any of his games including the Spring games that makes me think that UT can win with him in the SEC. On the other, in Dobbs first Spring Game, I immediately saw that he had the talent to be a SEC QB that could win games for UT.
No one has good stats in garbage time man. They are just trying to run the clock out. They arent being aggressive running the offense. Not to mention its the 2nd team so obviously hes not playing with the most talented OL and WRs. You put way too much stock in garbage time. Its called garbage time for a reason.

You're waaayyyy overthinking this. There's very little to be taken out of the very limited amount of play that we've seen from QD at this point, other than he has a strong, accurate arm.

You don't like QD as a player, you don't think he's the guy, we get it. But he could only do what he did when he got a chance to play vs who he got the chance to play against. As opposed to you, I saw a beautifully thrown 49 yard completion to PWill and then a frozen rope td pass thrown on the run to PWill vs Western Carolina in 2015. Who he was playing with and against didn't matter....his live, accurate arm did.

Similarly, I saw him throw a 20 yard deep in route vs Tennessee Tech....didn't matter who it was against, ball was thrown to the right spot/player, on a rope and accurate.

Nobody knows how QD is gonna respond as the guy vs an SEC opponent....same is true of JG and Sheriron Jones. All we can judge about QD at this point, given what we've seen of him in limited time, is how does he throw the football...and the kid can fling it, accurately.

You're waaayyyy overthinking this. There's very little to be taken out of the very limited amount of play that we've seen from QD at this point, other than he has a strong, accurate arm.

You don't like QD as a player, you don't think he's the guy, we get it. But he could only do what he did when he got a chance to play vs who he got the chance to play against. As opposed to you, I saw a beautifully thrown 49 yard completion to PWill and then a frozen rope td pass thrown on the run to PWill vs Western Carolina in 2015. Who he was playing with and against didn't matter....his live, accurate arm did.

Similarly, I saw him throw a 20 yard deep in route vs Tennessee Tech....didn't matter who it was against, ball was thrown to the right spot/player, on a rope and accurate.

Nobody knows how QD is gonna respond as the guy vs an SEC opponent....same is true of JG and Sheriron Jones. All we can judge about QD at this point, given what we've seen of him in limited time, is how does he throw the football...and the kid can fling it, accurately.

I'm overthinking this, don't be redicculus because I haven't been excited by what I have seen from in so far. He could be a slow learner like Peterman, and if he's the starter, UT's in trouble, they need a QB that can win game for them now, not in a year or two.

You have your opinion, and I have mine, like I said I have seen Nothing that impresses me so far with him.

It was readability apparent with Dobbs that UT could win with him in the SEC shortly after he stepped on the field for the first time.

tumblr_md1qiarxn61qduen9o1_400.gif

I'm overthinking this, don't be redicculus because I haven't been excited by what I have seen from in so far. He could be a slow learner like Peterman, and if he's the starter, UT's in trouble, they need a QB that can win game for them now, not in a year or two.

You have your opinion, and I have mine, like I said I have seen Nothing that impresses me so far with him.

It was readability apparent with Dobbs that UT could win with him in the SEC shortly after he stepped on the field for the first time.

What exactly did we win with Dobbs? Not the east.

You know QD is a Jr right? He's been working for 3 years on learning the offense and playbook. I think hes going to surprise lot of people, especially you.

VN Store

Back