Hopefully Saturday puts to rest our QB woes...

Seriously...did I miss the memo that HB was starting saturday or is that just a hope/guess?

There is a rumor that the QB affected by Covid19/contact tracing, is JG. That's the speculation of Bailey starting, otherwise, you know who'd get the start.

Reactions: FBtime
JG to Rutgers. We've heard that for two / three seasons. You realize his parents moved just outside Athens,Ga.
What FBS or FCS school would actually be interested in Guarantano? His record doesn't warrant anyone taking him in the transfer portal. I think he will still be here in 2021 if he doesn't move on from football. Don't think there is any way he is QB no.1. If that were the case, and Pruitt is still the coach, then he should be fired after that game.

Reactions: mpfvol
I still think Pruitt is getting paid or blackmailed into playing JG. Why else would he continue to bringing a pack of Uno Cards to a Poker Tournament?
Don’t know the reasons Pruitt continued to start JG. Stupidity is my best guess. I’m assuming your post about Pruitt being blackmailed or paid is a joke. I hope so for your credibility.

IF JG starts then Pruitt is just being an arse at this point and deserves to be fired for straight up stubbornness.

4onb8s.jpg

What FBS or FCS school would actually be interested in Guarantano? His record doesn't warrant anyone taking him in the transfer portal. I think he will still be here in 2021 if he doesn't move on from football. Don't think there is any way he is QB no.1. If that were the case, and Pruitt is still the coach, then he should be fired after that game.

Does Jarrett Guarantano give the team the best chance to win?
“Absolutely. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t play him. I mean, guys, he didn’t miss two field goals. He didn’t blow a coverage. There’s lots of things. Did he make a mistake? He made a mistake. Absolutely. I made mistakes in the game. Ok? So the bottom line is, guys, we all have to execute a little bit better to be productive, so we can score more points on Saturday than the other team does.”

Does Jarrett Guarantano give the team the best chance to win?
“Absolutely. If I didn’t, I wouldn’t play him. I mean, guys, he didn’t miss two field goals. He didn’t blow a coverage. There’s lots of things. Did he make a mistake? He made a mistake. Absolutely. I made mistakes in the game. Ok? So the bottom line is, guys, we all have to execute a little bit better to be productive, so we can score more points on Saturday than the other team does.”
Wow this made me want to 🤢 🤮

Wow this made me want to 🤢 🤮

I mean, I haven't heard a word out of Pruitt's mouth, or observed a personnel decisions made by him, that lends me to believe that if JG wants to come back for a 6th year, that he will, and that Pruitt won't still believe that he gives us the "best chance at success".

Last edited:
My view on our QB situation has always been the same, JG the veteran was always going to be our starting QB until our committed blue chip recruit Bailey was ready. This was the plan 2-3 years ago the day HB committed to the program and it was likely the plan going into the season. BM, JT, the transfer from Stanford and whoever else came were simply put on the roster as development type depth to hold us over until HB was ready. Now you all can argue that you recruit the best you can at each position and say you'd never recruit a kid like BM to be an insurance plan but I still say that the #1 plan was to always start Bailey the second he was ready. I think most would agree that was always the plan. I personally think Coach Pruitt waited a little long getting Bailey into the mix but I think Covid played a bigger role in that decision than did Pruitt. As long as HB doesn't lay an egg Saturday it's his position to lose an I think he's the face of our program going forward. As for next season I think BM transfers just as many here predicted would likely happen once Bailey committed, Shrout may or may not but I think he stays through graduate school. Bailey and Salter will be our #1 and #2 next year and we'll have our sights set on young Manning for the future with Simpson being our backup plan. I don't think JG will return and could see him transferring to Rutgers or anywhere that he'd get to play. Recruiting the QB position and being able to set your team up for future success is probably the toughest thing to do when setting up your roster and there is a fine line between being great and terrible at it. I still think we're set up for success at the position but we need it to happen sooner rather than later. FWIW young Salter's playing style reminds me of Jalen Hurts.

Spot on!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
I mean, I haven't heard a word out of Pruitt's mouth, or observed a personnel decisions made by him, that lends me to believe that if JG wants to come back for a 6th year, that he will, and that Pruitt will still believe that he gives us the "best chance at success".
Probably so, I guess 5 years just wasn't enough for him to turn the corner

Reactions: tbh
Here you go again. I agree JTS was a developmental qb but BM was NOT. Helton recruited BM to take JGs job as a true freshman and I know that to be a fact. So you’re wrong in thinking “That was always the plan”.

I think it should be clear NOW that Pruitts “plan” has ALWAYS differed from the experts he’s hired. Which is WHY the door is being opened for his exit and most can’t wait to see him walk through it. If you want to say “Pruitts plan” then I think it’s hard to disagree with. However suggesting the plan was a collected effort is asinine. Like I said, you have a point with JTS but you are WAY OFF with BM. Elite 11 qbs are not “projects” or patchwork. Especially the ones that perform well within the elite 11 environment. They are qbs with skill sets that are considered elite and are meant to be built upon at the next level. And just because UT has a defensive coordinator as a HC that believes he’s smarter than the proven staff he’s hired, doesn’t make it true.

If Bailey gets the start vs UF then I expect to see him perform well vs that defense. But if he doesn’t top 260 yards and 2 tds then I’m hesitant to say he’s “better” than Maurer would’ve been if given the opportunity to improve.
Good bye and good riddance. You cried about this 2 years ago when Bailey committed here when I told you exactly how it would play out. BM was never recruited here to be our starting QB. The reality of his situation is that JG basically gave BM the perfect chance to take the job and it proved to be too much for him to handle. Have fun at Florida Tech next year.

Good bye and good riddance. You cried about this 2 years ago when Bailey committed here when I told you exactly how it would play out. BM was never recruited here to be our starting QB. The reality of his situation is that JG basically gave BM the perfect chance to take the job and it proved to be too much for him to handle. Have fun at Florida Tech next year.

So why would Pruitt be recruiting QBs he never intends on starting or thinks won't ever be good enough to start?

Reactions: 1vol8
Are Maurer and Shrout still in the mix or is this basically a JG and Bailey battle?
I think it's Bailey's from this point on. Our fans won't admit it because they all thought BM was some miracle savior because he played a good half against GA but I think Bailey, once he committed, was always going to be the one once he got his chance and he was always going to get his chance this year. Shrout was never going to be the guy. Coaches have a plan when they recruit the QB position and I believe the plan has always been for it to be HB. I think Pruitt would liked to have been more successful with JG in order to bring HB along slowly but it just never happened that way.

Reactions: Jaws
Your predictions have bitten you in the ass for those two years and this could be the next in line. I hope HB gets the start but don’t be surprised if he’s unable to out preform BM in his first start against a weaker defense.

Bottom line is Pruitt May have already blown an opportunity and at this point who can say they would expect him to make a better call at the qb position?

I think it's Bailey's from this point on. Our fans won't admit it because they all thought BM was some miracle savior because he played a good half against GA but I think Bailey, once he committed, was always going to be the one once he got his chance and he was always going to get his chance this year. Shrout was never going to be the guy. Coaches have a plan when they recruit the QB position and I believe the plan has always been for it to be HB. I think Pruitt would liked to have been more successful with JG in order to bring HB along slowly but it just never happened that way.
Won’t you be surprised if BM is the starter vs UF?

Pruitt has difficulty creating a plan for an upcoming team one week out. I doubt very much he has a 2-3 year plan in place for our QB position.
You think they just recruit who they can and don't pay attention to their roster at specific positions, especially QB? I believe he absolutely has a plan at QB and it's really simple to see. The next few years it'll be Bailey/Salter followed by current HS recruits Simpson/Manning with Simpson being used similar to how BM was used as a stopgap until Manning is ready. It may not work out that way but I'd bet money that's what this staff is hoping for, it's what we all should be hoping for as opposed to crying and moaning about Pruitt and JG every second of the day.

You think they just recruit who they can and don't pay attention to their roster at specific positions, especially QB? I believe he absolutely has a plan at QB and it's really simple to see. The next few years it'll be Bailey/Salter followed by current HS recruits Simpson/Manning with Simpson being used similar to how BM was used as a stopgap until Manning is ready. It may not work out that way but I'd bet money that's what this staff is hoping for, it's what we all should be hoping for as opposed to crying and moaning about Pruitt and JG every second of the day.
That YOUR plan...... or should I say “hopes”.

I think most on here "like JG". Kid has heart. We just don't like him as our QB.
I don't think that's true, there are numerous post that shows way more hate to JG than it does love. Lots of imbecile fans on here have shown their true character when it comes to JG. I think it's proven that there are a bunch of hateful people throughout our fanbase.

Reactions: Raebo
My view on our QB situation has always been the same, JG the veteran was always going to be our starting QB until our committed blue chip recruit Bailey was ready. This was the plan 2-3 years ago the day HB committed to the program and it was likely the plan going into the season. BM, JT, the transfer from Stanford and whoever else came were simply put on the roster as development type depth to hold us over until HB was ready. Now you all can argue that you recruit the best you can at each position and say you'd never recruit a kid like BM to be an insurance plan but I still say that the #1 plan was to always start Bailey the second he was ready. I think most would agree that was always the plan. I personally think Coach Pruitt waited a little long getting Bailey into the mix but I think Covid played a bigger role in that decision than did Pruitt. As long as HB doesn't lay an egg Saturday it's his position to lose an I think he's the face of our program going forward. As for next season I think BM transfers just as many here predicted would likely happen once Bailey committed, Shrout may or may not but I think he stays through graduate school. Bailey and Salter will be our #1 and #2 next year and we'll have our sights set on young Manning for the future with Simpson being our backup plan. I don't think JG will return and could see him transferring to Rutgers or anywhere that he'd get to play. Recruiting the QB position and being able to set your team up for future success is probably the toughest thing to do when setting up your roster and there is a fine line between being great and terrible at it. I still think we're set up for success at the position but we need it to happen sooner rather than later. FWIW young Salter's playing style reminds me of Jalen Hurts.
IOW's you are STILL too proud to admit how badly wrong you were about JG's lack of ability... but want to move on without doing so.

JG was a "money pit". He was a wasted investment even if Maurer or Shrout were eventually passed by Bailey or Salter.

If the plan was to accept losing while sticking with JG at all costs until Bailey was ready.... then Pruitt should be fired today... not tomorrow. That was a HORRIBLE strategy that cost UT wins and in recruiting.

Last edited:
I don't think that's true, there are numerous post that shows way more hate to JG than it does love. Lots of imbecile fans on here have shown their true character when it comes to JG. I think it's proven that there are a bunch of hateful people throughout our fanbase.
Including you RE Maurer. You've demonstrated more "hate" toward him than most of JG's critics have toward him.

LOL

This is some of the craziest **** I've seen posted in the FF and that say a lot. If our HC is giving scholarships to players, any players he doesn't think can compete for the starting job he isn't HC material. To @McDad s point, this is the first season Pruitt has had the team anywhere close to ready for the season opener yet you want us to believe he's playing 4D chess with future QB recruiting?

Are Maurer and Shrout still in the mix or is this basically a JG and Bailey battle?
Shrout pretty much isn't... and is not likely to be. He's probably a career back up and seems to be OK with that.

Maurer will likely transfer from UT having never gotten the shot he was promised as a recruit. If Pruitt's decision in January '19 had been to go with his Fr and focus development and the scheme around him... then he might have become a good QB. Pruitt chose JG. Not an unreasonable choice at the time... but a strategy that has failed badly and put Pruitt's job at risk.

Reactions: Jaws

VN Store

Back