Hopefully Saturday puts to rest our QB woes...

If I were that Manning kid I would pick Clemson. They are very good at developing QB's, have a shoe into the college football playoff each year and he can build his stats playing teams that do not play defense.
I'd say that they've got an opening for him and will try their hardest. I could see him going there as well.

Lol. You are clearly out of touch with reality.

I don’t even know if he IS leaving so how do you? However, if he does I can assure you it’s not because of Bailey. It’ll be because of Pruitt and NOTHING else.
I didn't know 2 years ago but it was an easy prediction to make then. On another note, is your boy still banking on the onetime transfer rule being passed? LoL, enjoy Bowling Green.

Nothing cost UT wins this season. Have you not watched the horrible play by our safeties this year, the inconsistent play of our line, the lack of physicality it takes to win in this league, the fact that we can't kick a FG or stop anyone in the redzone or play a complete game? QB play has stunk but it's evident I think that it really would not have mattered much this year.
Yeah. It would have mattered. The D is vulnerable. It has not played well. It has also been plagued by 3 and outs, lack of point production, RZ play, a TOP deficit, and just general ineffectiveness on O.

Look around. ALL of the "good" teams are winning games where they have to score more than 30 points. Their O is having to compensate for games when their D just cannot control an opposing O. UGA probably has the best D in the SEC or possibly the nation. But they've faced two of the best O's and particularly passing O's in the country. What happened? That's how CFB goes in this era.

"Nothing cost UT wins this season"? Yes. The decision to start a now 5th year QB who has only ONCE led an O to more than 30 points vs an FBS opponent... has cost UT wins. The decision to CONTINUE to start him has cost UT the opportunity to develop its QB of the future and thus future wins. You were wrong. You are wrong. Just man up and admit it. You are making yourself look foolish and proud.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Lol, whatever Mr QB guru. BM will transfer to a smaller pond where he can try and be the big fish. As for the SEC lake he's currently swimming in he simply has no future, unless HB goes down to injury as he'd be all that was left. Hurts I guess but that's life in the SEC.
More of that Maurer hate....

Lol no. I like Maurer but I don't see many p5 programs clamoring for him if/when he enters the portal.
Depends on where he's willing to go. If Campbell stays at Iowa State, Maurer could have great success playing for him. Oklahoma State has had a history of successful QB's like Mauer. UK's run focus would give Maurer time to develop and have success. Indiana could be an ideal landing spot for him.

Top programs won't be going after a guy like Mauer... because they don't have to. But he'll have opportunities at 2nd tier or up and coming P-5 programs if he wants them. Or... he could play for one of the next level schools in FL and be close to home.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Yeah. It would have mattered. The D is vulnerable. It has not played well. It has also been plagued by 3 and outs, lack of point production, RZ play, a TOP deficit, and just general ineffectiveness on O.

Look around. ALL of the "good" teams are winning games where they have to score more than 30 points. Their O is having to compensate for games when their D just cannot control an opposing O. UGA probably has the best D in the SEC or possibly the nation. But they've faced two of the best O's and particularly passing O's in the country. What happened? That's how CFB goes in this era.

"Nothing cost UT wins this season"? Yes. The decision to start a now 5th year QB who has only ONCE led an O to more than 30 points vs an FBS opponent... has cost UT wins. The decision to CONTINUE to start him has cost UT the opportunity to develop its QB of the future and thus future wins. You were wrong. You are wrong. Just man up and admit it. You are making yourself look foolish and proud.
I guess you think we would have won games playing an injured BM early this season or that we would have won games with HB early even though he had gone through just 4 or 5 practices before the season started. Please explain the gameplan we were going to use to win football games under those conditions. I was always right how the QB situation was going to play out and it all starts Saturday. I thought it might happen sooner, predicted the Ky game but nonetheless it has played out pretty much exactly as I always thought it would.

Depends on where he's willing to go. If Campbell stays at Iowa State, Maurer could have great success playing for him. Oklahoma State has had a history of successful QB's like Mauer. UK's run focus would give Maurer time to develop and have success. Indiana could be an ideal landing spot for him.

Top programs won't be going after a guy like Mauer... because they don't have to. But he'll have opportunities at 2nd tier or up and coming P-5 programs if he wants them. Or... he could play for one of the next level schools in FL and be close to home.
Agreed and I will have an absolute hissy fit if he landed at KY lol

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
More of that Maurer hate....
Not hate, it was always set up to end like this, you NegaVols just couldn't see it through the fog. You really think HB was coming here to sit the bench for 3 years behind BM? What a joke if you really believe that was ever going to happen.

Reactions: 2GeeZ4VolZ
I didn't know 2 years ago but it was an easy prediction to make then. On another note, is your boy still banking on the onetime transfer rule being passed? LoL, enjoy Bowling Green.
Good thing UT has a HC that thinks just like yourself and KTown huh? Where would UT be without that kind of mindset?

Here you go again. I agree JTS was a developmental qb but BM was NOT. Helton recruited BM to take JGs job as a true freshman and I know that to be a fact. So you’re wrong in thinking “That was always the plan”.

I think it should be clear NOW that Pruitts “plan” has ALWAYS differed from the experts he’s hired. Which is WHY the door is being opened for his exit and most can’t wait to see him walk through it. If you want to say “Pruitts plan” then I think it’s hard to disagree with. However suggesting the plan was a collected effort is asinine. Like I said, you have a point with JTS but you are WAY OFF with BM. Elite 11 qbs are not “projects” or patchwork. Especially the ones that perform well within the elite 11 environment. They are qbs with skill sets that are considered elite and are meant to be built upon at the next level. And just because UT has a defensive coordinator as a HC that believes he’s smarter than the proven staff he’s hired, doesn’t make it true.

If Bailey gets the start vs UF then I expect to see him perform well vs that defense. But if he doesn’t top 260 yards and 2 tds then I’m hesitant to say he’s “better” than Maurer would’ve been if given the opportunity to improve.
Whatever happened to Asiantii Woulard and Sean White? They WON the damn thing! 😏

My view on our QB situation has always been the same, JG the veteran was always going to be our starting QB until our committed blue chip recruit Bailey was ready. This was the plan 2-3 years ago the day HB committed to the program and it was likely the plan going into the season. BM, JT, the transfer from Stanford and whoever else came were simply put on the roster as development type depth to hold us over until HB was ready. Now you all can argue that you recruit the best you can at each position and say you'd never recruit a kid like BM to be an insurance plan but I still say that the #1 plan was to always start Bailey the second he was ready. I think most would agree that was always the plan. I personally think Coach Pruitt waited a little long getting Bailey into the mix but I think Covid played a bigger role in that decision than did Pruitt. As long as HB doesn't lay an egg Saturday it's his position to lose an I think he's the face of our program going forward. As for next season I think BM transfers just as many here predicted would likely happen once Bailey committed, Shrout may or may not but I think he stays through graduate school. Bailey and Salter will be our #1 and #2 next year and we'll have our sights set on young Manning for the future with Simpson being our backup plan. I don't think JG will return and could see him transferring to Rutgers or anywhere that he'd get to play. Recruiting the QB position and being able to set your team up for future success is probably the toughest thing to do when setting up your roster and there is a fine line between being great and terrible at it. I still think we're set up for success at the position but we need it to happen sooner rather than later. FWIW young Salter's playing style reminds me of Jalen Hurts.
I like it, all of it. And it’s absolutely the truth. Also, for any hand wringing over BM and wasted opportunity there, we took a shot on him just like he did on us (in recruitment). He was the 479th ranked player in the country! He was not an elite prospect. JG was, HB was. Services get it wrong all the time (obviously missed somewhere on JG), but BM is well placed as a backup with upside at an SEC program.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

So you think probably not in the SEC it sounds like. Why would you think we could win with BM when nobody in the SEC is likely to take a flyer on him?

Enough with the COVID BS excuse

Bailey was able to practice by the last week in August. It's the first week in December and he's still not ready.

2* Kyle Trask was ready when Franks got hurt. Walk on Stetson Bailey was ready when the starter stunk up the joint....
Consider WHO is saying he isn’t ready tho.

Why do some people just seem to hate some of our players? I appreciate any guy that chooses Tennessee over other offers. As for the QBs, the coaches aren't taking a guy that doesn't have the physical ability to play in the SEC. JG, BM, Shrout, and HB all have an arm that could take them to the NFL. The difference comes down to the mental side. Can they not only learn, but can they put what they've learned into action during a game. JG has had good first halves (minus Kentucky), but his poor play in the second half has cost us games. He can't put together an entire game. BM has shown flashes of being a playmaker, but he also looked pretty bad against Arkansas. He's still young and could become a really good player. Bailey has all the high school accolades and has looked solid in limited action. We're going to see more of him soon evidently, but he'll make some mistakes. Shrout has a good arm and size, but he's still struggling just to do the basics like getting everyone lined up and managing the play clock. I think all these guys are doing the best they can and they all have contributed in some way. I'll root for whoever is on the field and hopefully one steps up.

Also, the thought that the staff wants Simpson as a holdover to Manning is stupid. Put the crystal ball away, Ms Cleo...you're bad at it.

Enough with the COVID BS excuse

Bailey was able to practice by the last week in August. It's the first week in December and he's still not ready.

2* Kyle Trask was ready when Franks got hurt. Walk on Stetson Bailey was ready when the starter stunk up the joint....
Kyle Trask was a 4th year guy that developed under the radar and was set to transfer actually.

And if Stetson Bennett were our QB there would be some suicidal folks around here. “Why do we have to have a 4th year average Juco guy that cant see over the offensive line??”

I get the point about readiness, but those two guys are not the best proxy.

What FBS or FCS school would actually be interested in Guarantano? His record doesn't warrant anyone taking him in the transfer portal. I think he will still be here in 2021 if he doesn't move on from football. Don't think there is any way he is QB no.1. If that were the case, and Pruitt is still the coach, then he should be fired after that game.
This right here

Hahaha... so he recruited two below average P5 QBs because he knew he had an elite 2020 QB committed? But he made this decision in... 2018? You are quite delusional...
How else do you think recruiting the QB position works? BM nor Shrout were ever recruited here to be the starting QB and the face of our program. Pruitt tried to get who he could and BM was all we could come up with at the time. I think it's comical that you think a QB rated as low as BM coming out of HS was ever going to be the face of the program.

Why do some people just seem to hate some of our players? I appreciate any guy that chooses Tennessee over other offers. As for the QBs, the coaches aren't taking a guy that doesn't have the physical ability to play in the SEC. JG, BM, Shrout, and HB all have an arm that could take them to the NFL. The difference comes down to the mental side. Can they not only learn, but can they put what they've learned into action during a game. JG has had good first halves (minus Kentucky), but his poor play in the second half has cost us games. He can't put together an entire game. BM has shown flashes of being a playmaker, but he also looked pretty bad against Arkansas. He's still young and could become a really good player. Bailey has all the high school accolades and has looked solid in limited action. We're going to see more of him soon evidently, but he'll make some mistakes. Shrout has a good arm and size, but he's still struggling just to do the basics like getting everyone lined up and managing the play clock. I think all these guys are doing the best they can and they all have contributed in some way. I'll root for whoever is on the field and hopefully one steps up.

Also, the thought that the staff wants Simpson as a holdover to Manning is stupid. Put the crystal ball away, Ms Cleo...you're bad at it.
Simpson is really good but if you can get the #1 QB recruit in the country just 1 year after signing Simpson then you recruit over him. Simpson's dad is a quality college football coach and I'm sure he and his son have had that conversation. I could see him going elsewhere because of it should it start to look like we've got a shot at young Manning. Simpson would be a great insurance plan should we not get Manning.

VN Store

Back