How good is the team Coach Caldwell will inherit?

Maybe at Marshall, but she is not at the level of Tennessee scholarship players.
I disagree. I watched Edie when she got in the games that she did. She handles the ball quite well, passes well to the open player and can make her share of three-pointers. Don't count her out just because of her size. She can use her speed to get open for shots. Kellie made a mistake in not playing her more.

I’m not sure about our returning cast to be competitive next year and hope we can land a good portal pickup or two, but what I saw under Kelly was a team that lacked in technique especially blocking out or trying to run anything consistently on offense other then RK driving to the basket. I’m not even sure we had our girls in the best shape as we had lapses and seemed to tire out. TK tried, but never could regain strength or conditioning and we still at times tried to play inside when we didn’t have the horsepower to do so. Seems like Our bigs even regressed. We have to give KC a chance to coach and see what she brings as far as discipline, technique and heart to play forty minutes. I loved Kelly and appreciate all she means to TN, but I simply didn’t see any improvement, if any during her five years here and wish her and the family rhe best.

Yeah I agree with this, I did even notice in the Iowa game SC got down by 10 but there was no panic. Dawn would sub with no drop off and keeping the players fresher than Iowa. It methodically wore Iowa down, I mean Iowa came out on fire that 1st quarter but as I had said in an earlier post I'm not sure Dawn is a great Xs & Os coach but she knows and reads her players well and knows when to sub and they play very hard for her. Great combo having 9 players probably ranked in the top 100 national players giving their all 100% of time. You could even go undefeated 🤔
Also, I can't think of any team that matches their 1 thru 12 with one of them being 6'7" & able to hit a 10 foot shot
Not talking about AT SC’s level, but having a bench without dead weight in which you could play all your players without a massive drop off in productivity. Like Tennessee used to have…

Reactions: LadyVol1908
I’m not sure about our returning cast to be competitive next year and hope we can land a good portal pickup or two, but what I saw under Kelly was a team that lacked in technique especially blocking out or trying to run anything consistently on offense other then RK driving to the basket. I’m not even sure we had our girls in the best shape as we had lapses and seemed to tire out. TK tried, but never could regain strength or conditioning and we still at times tried to play inside when we didn’t have the horsepower to do so. Seems like Our bigs even regressed. We have to give KC a chance to coach and see what she brings as far as discipline, technique and heart to play forty minutes. I loved Kelly and appreciate all she means to TN, but I simply didn’t see any improvement, if any during her five years here and wish her and the family rhe best.
Well we won’t get claims of slow or lazy this year… no “standing around”

Going to need some speed. With this hire and if they press full court im excited about Wynn flourishing.
Yes definitely need more quickness/speed even if they aren’t necessarily SEC size. Also, size and speed can be somewhat replaced with Bball IQ. I hope she sticks to her style of play.

I think she has enough on roster now to get a good start next season. Coach Caldwell likes to shoot a lot of threes. We have a lot of good 3 point shooters for her to try to scheme open. We are at a distinct disadvantage in the post, so why not play an up tempo full court defense? We have too many slow runners, but it's a team sport and good coaching could help offset the lack of speed with smart team play. And she has some chips to cash in the portal to get faster players. I think we'll have a good read on her after next season. Let it play out.

Most of those players are probably in as good a shape as they can be and its like they run in mud.
Improvement can happen. It's not like they get to a point and stop. They can always find another level an extra 1-5% that they can use late in games to get to a loose ball or get an offensive rebound or run down a breakaway layup or hit a 3 late in the game. That's what I'm talking about. These player may be in good shape, but are they in the best shape for basketball they could be? Don't rest on the fact you are in good shape. GET BETTER!

Reactions: Deebowbear
Here's the perfect opportunity if you are Tess Darby, Stripling, Strickland, Hollinshead, Puckett, Wynn and any other bench player to get in the best physical shape ever. Practice shooting 3s under fatigue, running suicides, lateral movements, and jumping. Work on mid range jumpers and dribble penetration to pull up mid range jumpers. One of the criticisms I have on Tess Darby is she's a 3 or nothing player. Develop into a well rounded player and you'll get played.

Success leaves clues. Kobe Bryant said he worked out an hour before 6 am on shooting. Get in the gym and practice. Put in the work now and over summer.
I think all you darby haters might be surprised!!!

I just hate not knowing, I want to know who she is contacting through the portal.
That's easy. She's contacting anyone and everyone in the portal who she thinks can play her system in the SEC. And she already knows who they are, because I guarantee you she intended to work the hell out of the portal even if she had remained at Marshall. Being at Tennessee just means she can now realistically recruit better players.

She's going to hit the portal hard, because she didn't come to Tennessee to become the first coach to miss the NCAA Tournament. And she will unless she gets some players.

She’ll pretty much need it. She’ll obviously be heavily reliant on the portal for the next 2-3 seasons. Hopefully she can get some quality undergrad transfers in, like Taliah Scott.

I wonder if any of the SC girls are gonna hop in? I wonder what someone like Kitts is thinking knowing that Edwards is coming in.
Kitts isn’t going anywhere. She’s the one who helped recruit Edwards. Would doubt any SC girls hopping in. Why would they? Cooper hopped in cuz she didn’t want to be patient and trust the process. These other girls have seen the fruition of that process. Maybe Sakima Walker, a fifth year SR who never saw the floor?

Here I go again, inserting my opinion into the conversation.
The run and gun offence and the all pressure defense takes a lot of conditioning and chemistry. That means high school recruits and not exclusively portal players. Both systems require chemistry among the players to be executed properly, and it may take a year to accomplish. Who says a former mid-major head coach wouldn't leave their jobs for an opportunity to be an assistant at a big-time program like Tennessee? Going back to Kellie, the recruiting of young players, which was her downfall, is essential for the future of this program and I believe Kim knows this. Her choice of assistants is critical. If she can get what she wants, don't expect a miracle next year, but just give this girl some time. If she is the real deal, let her do her stuff, because if DW did all the investigating of candidates like he said, then he believes in her, and you guys should also. You got a young energetic coach with passion, and that's what you needed as opposed t the laid-back style of Kellie Harper. Good luck, but I believe the LVs program is in very good hands.

That will tell me how good the coach is at evaluating talent, that’s an issue Kellie had, she kept bringing players like she was still at Missouri State.
Kellie and Sam had zero problem evaluating talent. For example, Madison Booker made multiple visits and was a huge target. And many other elites also had the LVs among their finalists. Their problem was signing the elites. The reason lower ranked players were brought in is that what they were able to sign.

That's what is so scary about a relatively unknown coach with no experience on this level and no recruiting coordinator yet. Bringing in some elite players quickly is absolutely vital to her success. The upside is apparently she will have NIL to offer. Better get on it NOW.

Kellie and Sam had zero problem evaluating talent. For example, Madison Booker made multiple visits and was a huge target. And many other elites also had the LVs among their finalists. Their problem was signing the elites. The reason lower ranked players were brought in is that what they were able to sign.

That's what is so scary about a relatively unknown coach with no experience on this level and no recruiting coordinator yet. Bringing in some elite players quickly is absolutely vital to her success. The upside is apparently she will have NIL to offer. Better get on it NOW.
I guess you’re right, I don’t usually follow all the visited but who we actually end up with on the roster, so it’s more of settling after we don’t get the players we want.

Reactions: spojo13
I guess you’re right, I don’t usually follow all the visited but who we actually end up with on the roster, so it’s more of settling after we don’t get the players we want.
They even tried not settling after missing out on players they wanted and that's why we have classes with zero players, huge roster holes. Again, this is why KJH is gone.

VN Store

Back