Hyams on 104.5 Nashville Radio

He's probably in the corner all giddy because his Fighting Tigers are coming to Knoxville.

Didn’t butch beat him? No thanks.

Butch had a Top 10 team with multiple NFL picks. Fuente inherited a team that had been .500 in the ACC for 4 years.

Butch went 8-4 and lost to Vandy and USC last year. Fuente won his division and gave national champions Clemson a game in the ACC title game.

Fuente took over a team at Memphis that was losing by 50 to Ark State and losing to UT-Martin and made them into a Top 20 team.

Fuente had more wins against the SEC West than Butch

Reactions: 9 people
Maybe Jon Gruden told John Currie early in the process that he is not interested in Tennessee job. Gruden just smiling and enjoying the process.

Currie in Washington to interview DJ Durkin, maybe. In Chicago to interview Jeff Brohm and in Tampa to interview Scott Frost.

Does Jimmy Hyams have contact with the Haslams? Does he know what others do not? Frost is on Jimmy's list.

Either, Jimmy is right or Brice is right.

Last edited:
Says absolutely no Tampa meeting occurred yesterday. "Ridiculous" and "nonsense". Says Gruden may listen to Tennessee before saying no.

Says the names he hears are Frost, Norvell, Mullen. Says Fuente is out because of a big buyout but then turns around and says Campbell is in play. Also Dave Doeren.

Source told him one of the previous has been interviewed but wouldn't tell him who.

Says nothing is leaking from the UT AD.

I actually like the candidate list fairly well, though. At least there aren't any "Google" names on it.

If we are passing on a guy because of his buyout, that does not bode well for our search since Fuente is the best coach of that group listed.

Fuentes buyout is pretty substantial. I doubt anyone would pay that right now. According to one report, it would be 45 percent higher than the largest buyout paid on record. Then you'd have to pay him and his staff a minimum of 9 or 10 million for him to take the job (seeing as VT would likely offer him an extension to stay). So you're talking about near 16 million total just to acquire Fuentes. While Tennessee may have the money, that's basically unheard of in college football.

Butch had a Top 10 team with multiple NFL picks. Fuente inherited a team that had been .500 in the ACC for 4 years.

Butch went 8-4 and lost to Vandy and USC last year. Fuente won his division and gave national champions Clemson a game in the ACC title game.

Fuente took over a team at Memphis that was losing by 50 to Ark State and losing to UT-Martin and made them into a Top 20 team.

Fuente had more wins against the SEC West than Butch

Exactly. We'd be lucky to have Fuentes. Don't see it happening though.

Fuentes buyout is pretty substantial. I doubt anyone would pay that right now. According to one report, it would be 45 percent higher than the largest buyout paid on record. Then you'd have to pay him and his staff a minimum of 9 or 10 million for him to take the job (seeing as VT would likely offer him an extension to stay). So you're talking about near 16 million total just to acquire Fuentes. While Tennessee may have the money, that's basically unheard of in college football.

His buyout is actually $6M but reduces to $5M on Dec 15th. I don't think any top currently employed D1 coach will be much different.

Jimmy kind of contradicted himself by saying nothing is leaking from the UT AD, then I would ask how he knows whether a meeting in Tampa did not happen and how does he have these names of candidates?

Knowing Hyams, he personally finds it hard to believe so that's why he's pooh-poohing it. He's used to the good ole boy way of doing things, and a hard pursuit of someone like Gruden is pretty "anti-establishment." It's outside the box.

Hoping for Gruden, but seems to me that Frost or Mullen probably going to be the guy... to me, if Kelly is UF, then probably Frost for us.

No he wasn't. I was watching the Sports Source Sunday with him on there and he was clueless about the fact Butch Jones was about to be fired while he's on the show. It took a national guy like Bruce Feldman to break the story.

Jimmy Hyams only knows what he's told. And he's only told something when an agenda is being advanced. Obviously the people at UT wanna get the Gruden story back in the genie bottle considering it'll be 10 days before any coaching hire is officially announced.

So even if Gruden has already agreed to be the next head coach and signed a contract, he can't be announced until the Sunday after the Vandy game. So that means the need for an agent of misinformation. And that just happens to be the dimwitted Jimmy Hyams.
The only people profitting off the gruden story is the media, becuase they know if they say what UT fans want to hear, vols fans will drool all over it.

Many will come to dislike Gruden and place him in the "Kiffin Category" if he spurns UT once again. Me included.:rock::rock::rock::rock:

There should be no dislike for Gruden period. The fans created this “Gruden to UT” monster. Do I want him as our next head coach? Yes, but I won’t be disappointed if it doesn’t happen and definitely won’t have any hate for the guy. With that being said, Gruden to the Hill.

VN Store

Back