Hyams on 104.5 Nashville Radio

No he wasn't. I was watching the Sports Source Sunday with him on there and he was clueless about the fact Butch Jones was about to be fired while he's on the show. It took a national guy like Bruce Feldman to break the story.

Jimmy Hyams only knows what he's told. And he's only told something when an agenda is being advanced. Obviously the people at UT wanna get the Gruden story back in the genie bottle considering it'll be 10 days before any coaching hire is officially announced.

So even if Gruden has already agreed to be the next head coach and signed a contract, he can't be announced until the Sunday after the Vandy game. So that means the need for an agent of misinformation. And that just happens to be the dimwitted Jimmy Hyams.

You know, this actually......makes sense. Lol wow.

Hoping for Gruden, but seems to me that Frost or Mullen probably going to be the guy... to me, if Kelly is UF, then probably Frost for us.

UT would be the big winner if this turns out to be the case.

Reactions: 3 people
Whoever gets hired will not be liked for a small portion of Volnation. They always know better than the powers that be. Even Gruden would not be liked by some. Like before, we need to just sit back and enjoy the ride, back whoever until we cannot anymore. Impossible to make everyone happy.

Reactions: 1 person
John Currie says believe nothing unless you hear it from me . I think he meant that.lol:) Ive got to stop worrying about it , dang rumors has consumed my life lately . Cant stay off internet .

I do not agree with all the criticism of Hyams. He is careful with what he puts out there because he wants solid confirmation before he says anything. From what I have seen on "The Sports Source" he is even handed and reasonable. It is obvious that Hyams (and especially John Pennington) think that the Gruden stuff is silly, and Hyams may actually be irritated at this point with the Gruden feeding frenzy.

I do think that John Pennington has a point when he said that the fan base building its expectations on getting Gruden is unrealistic and will lead to disappointment and a portion of the fan base resenting the next coaching hire.

Reactions: 2 people
I do not agree with all the criticism of Hyams. He is careful with what he puts out there because he wants solid confirmation before he says anything. From what I have seen on "The Sports Source" he is even handed and reasonable. It is obvious that Hyams (and especially John Pennington) think that the Gruden stuff is silly, and Hyams may actually be irritated at this point with the Gruden feeding frenzy.

I do think that John Pennington has a point when he said that the fan base building its expectations on getting Gruden is unrealistic and will lead to disappointment and a portion of the fan base resenting the next coaching hire.

yeah Jimmy is so careful that he posts breaking news 2 weeks after it breaks....

then he should probably quit if he doesnt like it.

There's only so many ways you can tell someone they're living in a fantasy world. What's weird is when Norvell or whoever takes the stage, most of you will still call Jimmy an idiot and hang on ever word Brice and others say.

People want to hear what they want to hear these days

Last edited:
I really dislike Jimmy.

He seems to think UT is just a crap program that can't land anyone worth a damn. I guess we'll see if he and his ilk are right.

Jimmy gets so worked up it's almost like he personally dislikes Gruden.

I'm sure he gets tired of having to answer whether or not Gruden is coming when his sources that are "close to" Gruden say there is no way he will coach college ball. I'd get tired of it to. He has to report on the sources word if he trusts them. You just don't like what he has to say...

Serious question: was Gruden's superbowl won with a team Dungy built?He went 12-4 his first year, overall he was 57-55 in Tampa, before that 38-26 in Oakland??? Doesn't look like they drafted that well...

Serious question: was Gruden's superbowl won with a team Dungy built?He went 12-4 his first year, overall he was 57-55 in Tampa, before that 38-26 in Oakland??? Doesn't look like they drafted that well...

He won in his first year at Tampa Bay, with the same players Dungy and his GM had coached and assembled and COULDNT win a super bowl with. He also played in that Super Bowl vs his previous team that he coached and helped assemble with his GM there at Oakland.

He won in his first year at Tampa Bay, with the same players Dungy and his GM had coached and assembled and COULDNT win a super bowl with. He also played in that Super Bowl vs his previous team that he coached and helped assemble with his GM there at Oakland.

Good points. Thanks. Real talk

Reactions: 1 person

Some people don’t seem to grasp this. They want it their way so can they can b*tch about something, then have nothing to say when you call em out with facts. It’s a one way street with some.

I personally do not want to keep hearing we are passing on some certain candidates because of their buyout if we have actually offered Gruden 10 million a year. Common sense would suggest if you offer that much to a coach per year, you can afford a 5-10 million dollar buyout of another coach.

Some people don’t seem to grasp this. They want it their way so can they can b*tch about something, then have nothing to say when you call em out with facts. It’s a one way street with some.

Gruden would have won one with the Raiders if it wasn't for the Tuck Rule....

Charles Woodson was involved in 2 of the biggest BS moments in football history: The 97 Heisman and causing the Tuck Rule Fumble

He built the raiders into a SB team, and then beat them with Dungy's team.
It's very hard to sustain what you've built due to salary cap. A team rises, and then the players all cash in, moving around. That's why NE is such an anomaly.

Rules for Currie's hiring decision:
1. Never hire a coach that recently got beat by the one you are trying to replace.
2. Pick a Power 5 HC that has demonstrated he can beat top echelon Power 5 teams.
3. If not 2, pick a HC from just outside the Power 5 that has consistently beat Power 5 schools.
4. If not 3, pick a NFL coach (HC, OC/DC) with good connections and shown good success.
5. If not 4, pick a OC/DC from a Power 5 school that is upper echelon and demonstrated they OWN their side of the ball.
6. Pick a coach that has experience in multiple categories.

Hyams says a prominent booster says no hire before December 7th. Jimmy thinks it happens sooner.

So a "prominent booster" tells him a fact and he denounces that....but has nothing but speculation on anything else....sounds about Jimmy Hyams level reporting.

VN Store

Back