I don't understand why we didn't throw the kitchen sink at Edey

We knew going in that it was going to be the way that it was. Edey was going to live at the foul line. So, knowing that, why didn't we throw the kitchen sink at him and foul him and foul him hard? I was a huge Dirk Nowitzki fan when he played for the Mavericks and the way defenders used to be with him is exactly what we should have sent at him. Barnes benched Aidoo when he should have sent him at Edey with the mission to foul out by the end of the game. No layups.

We knew going in that it was going to be the way that it was. Edey was going to live at the foul line. So, knowing that, why didn't we throw the kitchen sink at him and foul him and foul him hard? I was a huge Dirk Nowitzki fan when he played for the Mavericks and the way defenders used to be with him is exactly what we should have sent at him. Barnes benched Aidoo when he should have sent him at Edey with the mission to foul out by the end of the game. No layups.
The comparison to Nowitzki is silly and inapplicable. He played all over the court. We had a good game plan but simply missed too many open shots.

The comparison to Nowitzki is silly and inapplicable. He played all over the court. We had a good game plan but simply missed too many open shots.
No it isn't silly and inapplicable. Defenders knew that Nowitzki was a big man who was difficult to defend so they went all out with their physicality. Someone else on social media noted that Edey never hit the floor from contact from a defender and that's exactly what I mean.

No it isn't silly and inapplicable. Defenders knew that Nowitzki was a big man who was difficult to defend so they went all out with their physicality. Someone else on social media noted that Edey never hit the floor from contact from a defender and that's exactly what I mean.
He’s 7’4.” No one can really do that.

But the game today is officiated differently, and any real hard foul is going to be considered for a flagrant.

If you literally mean the kitchen sink then I’m with you. I don’t do well with metaphors.

Did you ever consider that there is a very thin line between “fouling hard” and a Flagrant foul? Considering how Edey is protected, you run the risk of getting flagrant 1’s and 2’s if you intentionally foul him hard. Might do it once or twice (and I think we did more than once) but the refs aren’t going to let you intentionally hack anybody all game. Especially Edey.

You also aren’t considering the fact that it’s hard to stop one of his shots when he has (1) knocked you aside with a shoulder, a two handed shove or a forearm, all of which we saw yesterday or (2) when he goes over the back for a tip or putback. Saw those yesterday too.

Bottom line: What you are proposing isn’t going to work against Edey. He’s a made man with the refs and treated differently.

He collected about 15 fouls and only committed one. The only way to beat him is to keep him 6+ feet away from the basket when he gets the pass down low. mthe 15 fouls should have been committed pushing him away from the basket before he got the pass.

He collected about 15 fouls and only committed one. The only way to beat him is to keep him 6+ feet away from the basket when he gets the pass down low. mthe 15 fouls should have been committed pushing him away from the basket before he got the pass.
How are you going to “push him away” when he’s allowed to stand in the lane? Awaka couldn’t push him out and he is strong as a bull. No chance that works unless they allow you to bring a bulldozer or dress out a silverback gorilla.

Nowitzki and Edey are totally different players. You're generalizing without any regard for detail and nuance

If it would of been called right. Edey would of fouled out of the game. But instead he got i believe only one foul.

He was being nice.

Look man, I’m gonna tell you what I tell the others. I am the champion of ridiculous and dumb posts, and I won’t have you or anyone else coming for my crown. This was a nice attempt by you, but I need you to cut it out. People have come to expect nonsense from me, and I won’t have you stealing my mojo. I don’t have a lot in life, but I have had that, and I want to keep it.

Last edited:
“Barnes really should have tried harder to stop that giant freak that nobody has stopped this season who has quite literally a different set of basketball rules for him”
I bet he saw this thread and wondered why he didn’t think of it.

“Barnes really should have tried harder to stop that giant freak that nobody has stopped this season who has quite literally a different set of basketball rules for him”
I bet he saw this thread and wondered why he didn’t think of it.

He did say in his post game interview that they forgot to scout him. Just didn’t get around to it.

Aidoo should have driven on Edey on the offensive end and made him defend instead of settling for the mid range shot.

Burns has the frame to body up to Edey and try to get him in foul trouble.

Edey is 7’4” and weighs 300 lbs. and has a 3” vertical jump. Exactly who is going to put him on the ground?

Edey is 7’4” and weighs 300 lbs. and has a 3” vertical jump. Exactly who is going to put him on the ground?
He's like a stump. Aidoo doesn't have the weight or the game to dictate to Edey. Possibly Awaka could have tried to make Edey defend. Seems Estrella tried a fade away, other than that, not challenged. This happens when he doesn't respect the game of the person he has to guard. He can camp, and did, in the lane. In many respects, we gave up offense to play defense against him.
All things totalled, with all the calls and non calls, we were an Aidoo make and a ZZ 3 away from taking the game. Anyone else on the team shows a pulse, and we had a chance to win

OP is clueless. All responses are very valid.

You’ll see Edey played like this in the NBA…and the “fouls” won’t be called. And he won’t be very good.

In the NBA most teams have players big and physical enough to deal with Edey, and the way the pro game is played now from outside in, no team is going to run an offense that is right out of the 1970's. Edey will spend his career as a backup center - he'll make a nice living and have a long career, but his days as a 'superstar' end as of next Monday.

VN Store

Back